Jeff Ocheltree A Fraud?

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I went to a clinic of his and he seemed pretty knowledgeable and friendly. Only after that did I start to see people saying things. I emailed him a question about something he was selling on Ebay and got a very curt response. Hmmm. Then the business debacle. Questions as to the legitimacy of his teching claims.

Has anyone asked the surviving LZ members if they remember seeing him around?

Dan

BNK

Reaction score
My dad has prostate cancer, full treatment in one of the best hospitals one can get, but it still spread out we heard two weeks ago.

Yesterday we heard a new cancer swell has appeared in his liver.
That's unfortunate and hope he recovers soon.

Prostate cancer is typically the slowest moving cancer with some of the highest survival odds if detected early. This would be the perfect cancer to pick if you were wiling and able to pull off a Gofundme scam however, this does not mean it's any kind of proof.

I just saw Pancreatic cancer mentioned several times in this thread and everyone saying it's a scam because he's still alive...

Facts still matter.

Last edited:

BNK

Reaction score
Maybe it's Jeff Ogletree that has pancreatic cancer.
Or it could be that someone misread Jeff Ocheltree's Gofundme description.

Jason Bonham was 12-13 when "In Through The Out Door" was recorded and may not have been around during those sessions. Maybe John Bonham's regular drum tech had a previous obligation and Jeff stepped in to help out.

This is a man's reputation after all, and if's he's trying to raise funds to survive cancer, threads like this don't help his chances.

I don't have a horse in this race but let's not convict the guy with hearsay evidence.

Last edited:

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's unfortunate and my condolences, my father died of lung cancer on April 22nd.

Prostate cancer is typically the slowest moving cancer with some of the highest survival odds if detected early. This would be the perfect cancer to pick if you were wiling and able to pull off a Gofundme scam however, this does not mean it's any kind of proof.

I just saw Pancreatic cancer mentioned several times in this thread and everyone saying it's a scam because he's still alive...

Facts still matter.
Facts do matter and we’ll done for clearing that up. I was wrong on that note. Still, Stage 4 denotes that the cancer has spread to other organs and areas of the body. That exacerbates the diagnosis.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t know who this guy is but it took 6 months from diagnosis to take one of my most loved friends from me in a terrible way. Pancreatic cancer is the Devil.
Agree. Lost a great friend to it about 5 years ago. Took him 8 months to finally go. Left a wife and two kids. It's the worst cancer on the planet IMO.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
If it were anyone else, nobody would question the validity of his claim. Given his long history of allegedly taking money and not delivering product as well as other questionable claims and behavior, the sad fact is that it is natural to question the truth to his story. It's the whole boy who cried wolf thing.

BNK

Reaction score
Facts do matter and we’ll done for clearing that up. I was wrong on that note. Still, Stage 4 denotes that the cancer has spread to other organs and areas of the body. That exacerbates the diagnosis.
Yes, complicates matters but it doesn't have the same mortality prognosis as Stage 4 Pancreatic cancer.

Let's remember, Jason was a kid when John Bonham died and likely wasn't always around during recording sessions or touring as he would have been in school.

BNK

Reaction score
If it were anyone else, nobody would question the validity of his claim. Given his long history of allegedly taking money and not delivering product as well as other questionable claims and behavior, the sad fact is that it is natural to question the truth to his story. It's the whole boy who cried wolf thing.
Admittedly I have no knowledge of Jeff's practices with his snare drum business and while that may discredit him on that front, doesn't mean he's rotten to the core.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Regardless of whatever his ties where to Bonham, he did for a fact defraud many drummers (some on this site) of thousands of dollars for his snare drums. That fact cannot be refuted and can easily be found if you bother to search. Just because he has cancer doesn't mean he didn't steal peoples hard earned cash.

Moonman

Reaction score
I'm w/ Hagar on this one - "“Grrrrrrrr So many scams going on today in this world as if we need more lies and bullshit coming at us."

I've never been more uncertain of fact v. fiction in my lifetime.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Guys, it's PROSTATE cancer, not pancreatic cancer. You can have Prostate cancer for 30 years, some older patients decline treatment and ride it out for decades.

I don't know if Jeff is a fraud, but the GoFundMe clearly states Prostate cancer.
I don’t care what he’s done to anyone, let’s be glad it’s prostate and not Pancreatic cancer for his and his family’s sake.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't have a dog in this fight and I'm not here to defend anyone one way or another. That said, I know Jeff personally. This whole thing makes me very sad for all parties involved. He has worked for a ton of big-name drummers over the years and that is not disputable. His association with JHB happened before I was even born, so I can't speak to that.

What I know for certain, Jeff was on the Santana tour as Cindy Blackman-Santana's tech when he was diagnosed with PROSTATE cancer that subsequently spread (stage 4 definition) to his stomach. He lost about 70 pounds during that tour in 2017? or 2018? and prompted his visit to the doctor. To my knowledge, he hasn't worked since that time and is still struggling in every way imaginable. (I haven't talked to him for well-over a year, though I've left messages that weren't returned.) Prior to that, he worked for Steve Smith for a very long time. He also worked for Billy Cobham and many others over the years. All of which are easily verified.

Jeff is a rough-around-the-edges man, that can be very gruff, grumpy, short, curt, whatever you want to call it. However, he can also be very kind and generous, to a fault, far too often. Does he have a checkered business past? You bet. Does that mean he's an outright fraud? Possibly. People are complicated. Jeff certainly is, more so than most. Everyone is going to believe what they choose to believe about this situation. I just hope everybody chooses their words wisely about anyone they don't truly know. Everyone has problems. Some more (or larger) than others. Those problems usually aren't discussed at length and debated in public forums for good reason. I have seen lots of back-and-forth all over every drumming page, forum, social channel, etc. just absolutely torching Jeff. Maybe it's fully earned. I think it's just the old saying, "Nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd."

Again, I'm not here defending, just stating my experiences with the man and my opinion on it. Your experiences with him might be completely awful and that is 100% valid. I'm sure some of you will flame me hard and try to discredit or educate me on this subject. I'm tough and can take it, but I'm not up for arguing on the internet about it, so if I don't respond, please understand why.

nk126

Reaction score
I don’t know who this guy is but it took 6 months from diagnosis to take one of my most loved friends from me in a terrible way. Pancreatic cancer is the Devil.
Same with my boss at an old job. Just an awful awful disease.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’d like to see a picture of Ocheltree and Bonham together. If I were his tech I might cave in and ask to get a picture with the man.

Does anyone here have photo with Ocheltree and Bonham together? Did Ocheltree post any on his Facebook page?

BNK

Reaction score
Regardless of whatever his ties where to Bonham, he did for a fact defraud many drummers (some on this site) of thousands of dollars for his snare drums. That fact cannot be refuted and can easily be found if you bother to search. Just because he has cancer doesn't mean he didn't steal peoples hard earned cash.
Why don't you provide me with a list of all the topics a newer member should search before sharing an opinion on this forum?.

I weighed in because I read incorrect information being used in evidence while making accusations regarding a man's reputation.

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Why don't you provide me with a list of all the topics a newer member should search before sharing an opinion on this forum?.

I weighed in because I read incorrect information being used in evidence while making accusations regarding a man's reputation.
I don’t think he meant it that way ....

Last edited:

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
My wife lost her best friend to pancreatic cancer. She lasted one year.

PJD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jeff's Bonham claims have never made any sense at all and they've grown and changed over the years. Hell he bought the Green Sparkle kit he's subsequently claimed is one of Bonham's from a member on this site!

I posted over on the RO forum, what bother's me is that he has insinuated over the years that Mick Hinton wasn't really there for anything but partying w Bonham and it was him that was responsible for The Sound.

A member over on RO had an interesting point, most of the legends that Bonham was "slowing down" come form Ocheltree. He's the source for Bonham adding the 15" tom because he couldn't hit as hard and the extra cymbals because he couldn't get around the kit. I could see why Jason had enough and called him on it. The stage fright, drugs, drinking, anxiety are all really well sourced; to my knowledge Ocheltree is the only one saying Bonham was slowing down (which listen to 6/21/77 - He's on fire!)