Jeff Ocheltree A Fraud?

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Agree. Lost a great friend to it about 5 years ago. Took him 8 months to finally go. Left a wife and two kids. It's the worst cancer on the planet IMO.
Really people? One cancer is worse than another?

Every cancer is terrible and shouldn’t be here!

Last edited by a moderator:

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Jeff is a rough-around-the-edges man, that can be very gruff, grumpy, short, curt, whatever you want to call it. However, he can also be very kind and generous, to a fault, far too often. Does he have a checkered business past? You bet. Does that mean he's an outright fraud? Possibly. People are complicated. Jeff certainly is, more so than most. Everyone is going to believe what they choose to believe about this situation. I just hope everybody chooses their words wisely about anyone they don't truly know. Everyone has problems. Some more (or larger) than others. Those problems usually aren't discussed at length and debated in public forums for good reason. I have seen lots of back-and-forth all over every drumming page, forum, social channel, etc. just absolutely torching Jeff. Maybe it's fully earned. I think it's just the old saying, "Nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd."
I think that's a fair enough handling of the matter. Though I think the initial suspicion was not entirely unwarranted given the history. I certainly wouldn't wish it (cancer) on anyone.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really people? One cancer is worse than another?

Every cancer is terrible and shouldn’t be here!
Yes, all cancer is bad. I think what he means is “aggressive” cancers, with one of the highest and quickest mortality rates, with the least amount of effective treatments.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Of course he is a fraud. That is demonstrable with his cast snare business and the customers who’s money he stole for an undelivered product. The question should state; is Ocheltree a fraud on several fronts?

Jason Bonham was vocal long before this that Ocheltree was lying about his relationship with his father and ridding his coattails.

Also, we have his whole Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer Gofundme situation. This one is tougher to determine for several reasons but what we do know is that it was started so that he could move to the Bay Area to be closer to his children; one of the most expensive areas of the country and, given the incredibly low survival rate of Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer and how quickly people die with it, Ocheltree is still alive.
My best friend had stage four pancreatic cancer for two years before he died

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't have a dog in this fight and I'm not here to defend anyone one way or another. That said, I know Jeff personally. This whole thing makes me very sad for all parties involved. He has worked for a ton of big-name drummers over the years and that is not disputable. His association with JHB happened before I was even born, so I can't speak to that.

What I know for certain, Jeff was on the Santana tour as Cindy Blackman-Santana's tech when he was diagnosed with PROSTATE cancer that subsequently spread (stage 4 definition) to his stomach. He lost about 70 pounds during that tour in 2017? or 2018? and prompted his visit to the doctor. To my knowledge, he hasn't worked since that time and is still struggling in every way imaginable. (I haven't talked to him for well-over a year, though I've left messages that weren't returned.) Prior to that, he worked for Steve Smith for a very long time. He also worked for Billy Cobham and many others over the years. All of which are easily verified.

Jeff is a rough-around-the-edges man, that can be very gruff, grumpy, short, curt, whatever you want to call it. However, he can also be very kind and generous, to a fault, far too often. Does he have a checkered business past? You bet. Does that mean he's an outright fraud? Possibly. People are complicated. Jeff certainly is, more so than most. Everyone is going to believe what they choose to believe about this situation. I just hope everybody chooses their words wisely about anyone they don't truly know. Everyone has problems. Some more (or larger) than others. Those problems usually aren't discussed at length and debated in public forums for good reason. I have seen lots of back-and-forth all over every drumming page, forum, social channel, etc. just absolutely torching Jeff. Maybe it's fully earned. I think it's just the old saying, "Nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd."

Again, I'm not here defending, just stating my experiences with the man and my opinion on it. Your experiences with him might be completely awful and that is 100% valid. I'm sure some of you will flame me hard and try to discredit or educate me on this subject. I'm tough and can take it, but I'm not up for arguing on the internet about it, so if I don't respond, please understand why.
I know Jeff personally, too. And I know Jason Bonham. Not going to comment on all this stuff...

But I will say, when I first heard about Jeff having cancer, I was told it was Stage 4 pancreatic. As many have said, ANY cancer sucks! But if it is indeed prostate cancer, hopefully it gives him more of a fighting chance. I've not heard anything about his health status in a while. Is he saying he beat it?

stevesmithfan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I met Jeff Ocheltree at a Steve Smith drum clinic several years ago. He told me he was at the recording of Led Zeppelin ITTOD. He said John never recorded with his steel kit before so he had his green sparkle on stand by in case he didn't like the steel kit. John loved the recorded sound of the steel kit.

Ludwig26

Reaction score
There's a saying in life: "if you can't say something nice about someone don't say anything at all",
I personally DON'T know nor met Jeff Ocheltree nor anyone from/on this site.I find it personally digusting&despicable being negative about&towards a ill/sick man (if it's 100% proven he has cancer if not then he's mentally disturbed/mentally ill/sick individual/person).That's not able to defend himself i'd believe anyone/someone that knows Ocheltree personally&can &will be unbiased love, peace, respect.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I vote for getting auto-grammar on this site so we can actually read or understand some posts.

We've all seen Bambi. Humans are animals, like a pack of wolves, and nature is to jump allover this sort of thing, and kick a man when he's down (IF he's down?). It comes down to whether anybody can forgive, but before that they have to be able to trust and believe.