Jeff Porcaro Kit History

alexandria

Reaction score
What were the specs on the Gretsch kit? Kick and tom sizes and model? I'm one of those guys that likes nitty gritty details. :)
The model of the kit was a special 100th Anniversary model. Here is a blurb about it;

100th Anniversary Badge This special badge was used in 1983 on a limited production of exotic wood grain kits with all gold hardware. Only 100 sets in these special finishes were produced. The badge was a large upright rectangle with the corners cropped. The Gretsch logo features the drop "G" logo style and the badge reads "THE CENTENNIAL 1883-1983" along the top in block letters[/b].

Attached is a close up of his exact color, badge, and gold hardware.

Attachments

nicmilliner

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not usually a fan of really blingy drums but these are pretty cool. Even cooler that Jeff played them.

b/o 402

Wacky old coot
Reaction score
this is a little OT, but here's an interview with abe jr where he discusses his relationship with jeff a bit, and the gretsch kit he got from him. also some vinnie stories.

http://richmangicaro.com/Press_files/Abe_Jr.pdf
Great interview. Thanks!

Trommeltheo

Reaction score
The last tour set (Kingdom of desire) wasn´t a Pearl, but an 8-ply Keller Maple Shells set with Pearl hardware in the color Pocaro Blue, which is still available at Pork Pie today.

Theo

Attachments

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I once had a Gretsch set in the Carpathian Elm Anniversary finish. It was with chrome hardware and the at the time standard square Gretsch badge. Sizes were 8x10 10x12 11x13 16x16 16x22 8x14. I believe they were all maple 5 ply +1 veneer shells. I guess they had some of the stuff left over from the Centennial offering, boy did those sound great too. Wish I still had those.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Porcaro sure had a lot of high end and custom made drum sets, for someone who claimed that “Drums sound like drums”

Reaction score
So apparently Kelly and I are "nobody's."
Glad to see that I'm in good company!
I've noticed recently that reading comprehension is optional on DFO.
All in good fun,
MSG

PS.
Cool picture though!
I still think that's them on Kingdom of Desire.
Thanks,
"Nobody"

Nobody talked about his Brady kit he used in the studio?

View attachment 443754
I was told by a pretty reliable source that Jeff had a complete Brady kit (that the Drum Doctor kept) and that Jeff was using it on quite a few of his dates in his last few years. Those HUGE drum sounds on Kingdom Of Desire sound like they "could" be a Brady kit, or at least they sound like the Brady sets (real crisp, bright, and for the lack of a better term very "Hi Fi" sounding) that I have played in the past. A West coast session drummer also told me that Jeff used his Gretsch's on almost everything he recorded (I'm not sure how much I buy that though.)

Anyone else hear these same claims about the Brady's? Could offer some info? Or better yet, has seen or played these Brady's that I've heard about?

Missing the GROOVEMEISTER!

Mark
I can confirm this is accurate. Jeff owned a BRADY kit - it was the Jarrah Ply / Silver Gimlet kit that was our display kit from the 1992 NAMM Show. He took possession of it shortly after the show in January and used it quite often in those 7 months before until his untimely passing in August. I know there was a Ray Charles session in there somewhere towards the beginning of 1992, as he brought CB along to it.

Possibly the best example of Jeff's Brady kit was the track "Calling Elvis" by Dire Straits.

Check it out:

MSG

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So apparently Kelly and I are "nobody's."
Glad to see that I'm in good company!
I've noticed recently that reading comprehension is optional on DFO.
All in good fun,
MSG

PS.
Cool picture though!
I still think that's them on Kingdom of Desire.
Thanks,
"Nobody"

MSG
To be fair (and also in good fun), you too seem to have skipped over me already addressing this . . .

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The story I always heard was that Jeff's "Pearls" where in fact Gretsch shells with Pearl hardware on them. The same trick Vinnie used with his Yamahas from time to time.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jeff was a 10",12",13" up top guy...those were his sizes since the late 70s. While he occasionally mentioned in an interview that he would have a one up, one down set on on certain recordings, I think that we can all agree that the 10",12",13" up top set up was his thing. Brady drums never made a 13" ply drum...they didn't have a mold for it. Their sizes were: 8",10",12",14",16" and bass drums were either 20" or 22". While I have never seen a single picture that documents Jeff P playing a full Brady kit, it has been said he did. I have seen no picture to support the claim, ever. As a previous owner of two Brady kits for 15 years (Wandoo Burl Gloss, Leopardwood Gloss), I would have loved to see that picture(s) of Jeff playing a full Brady kit. None have ever been produced to support that claim. An actual picture of Jeff Porcaro sitting behind a full Brady kit, playing one in a session. Nope, I have never seen one. Yes, I have seen pictures of Jeff playing his Gretsch kit in the studio and on the side of his kit, mounted on a RIMS mount...a 10" or 12" side snare... Also, I just doubt that he would go from 10",12"13" up top to 8",10",12" up top. It's a jump I have never been able to make comfortably, it doesn't look like Jeff did either, especially after being so adamant to not even using power toms in those sizes... Just a thought...

Latest posts