Jerry died 25 years ago today....

owr

Reaction score
Watching this at moment while I catch up some work. I remember 8/9/1995 clearly, was fortunate enough to spend that evening with Bob Weir and Ratdog and a few thousand other folks mourning. That was a powerful show.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My mother used to sell the Jerry Garcia ties at the department store in the mall where she worked. I remember when he died because of her reaction when I told her. She said, "Oh wow, the tie designer?!" She had no idea he was a musician!

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
My mother used to sell the Jerry Garcia ties at the department store in the mall where she worked. I remember when he died because of her reaction when I told her. She said, "Oh wow, the tie designer?!" She had no idea he was a musician!
And a good friend of mine's brother and sister-in-law made the ties! It was their company.

I love the Dead and Jerry. I also love and am influenced just as much by 10-15 other STYLES and genres of music that have nothing to do with the Dead's "thing" (with an almost infinite number of artists/bands in each of those styles) and can see that the Dead aren't for everyone. Unbelievers, don't worry, I would never try to "convert" you! ("Oh, man, you've got to hear this version of Space from Enid, Oklahoma, 1974.")

There's a big range of what Jerry and the band did that appeals to me in many ways. Rest in peace, Mr. Garcia.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was working in Peru and I heard about it during my weekly phone call to the states. I was crushed. Music isn’t the same for me.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was at work that day. And I had two friends show up at lunch to tell me (they also decided to drop acid that morning around 10am). I wasn't a big Dead fan as of yet in '95. I was still banging my head pretty hard. But in the next few years, I found, I really enjoyed a lot of their music. I also really dig Old & In The Way. Really great bluegrass.

I owned a few of Jerry's ties. Very cool.

Miss you Jerry.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
I used to despise the Dead thanks to the many deadheads I knew. I was surrounded by them growing up, and they would constantly try to convert me while being completely unwilling to listen to anything else (even if it was music that actually influenced the Dead, like a lot of the blues, jazz and folk music I was listening to).

I remember when Jerry died, because many of these folks lost their minds. It was like a hippie zombie apocalypse, where hordes of unwashed people in tie dye stumbled around aimlessly, occasionally moaning and shouting, "Jerrrrrrrry!!!!!"

Fast forward 20 years and somehow most of my friends are deadheads again. These ones are a bit more open minded though, willing to listen to other types of music. Most are also musicians themselves, and this has translated into many new opportunities to get out and play. I've come back around to the Dead's music on my own terms, and currently play in a Grateful Dead cover band. As a drummer it's a great challenge, with many styles of music, complex songs with odd time signatures, and plenty of room for improvisation.

Jerrrrrrrry!!!!!!!!

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rock in peace, Jerry.

I find death anniversaries morbid... I only person I can picture send out cards to mark the 25th year of a death is Morticia Addams.

Since you asked, Grateful Dead, in my opinion, have always been rock's most disappointing band. Start with a great name and what are undoubtedly some of the best graphics associated with nearly any band in history, but then the actual music is drawn from the jug band tradition of the '20s and a whole lot of unfocused noodly doodly cover tunes -- with a few inspired originals.

I'm glad it helps people connect to a time in their life when they had time to get super precise with their hacky sack game and smoke a lot of weed ... I miss those things, too, but the music just never connected with me. As much as I want to be together with people again, I dread the next backyard barbecue or camp out where someone interrupts good music by insisting on playing the entire February 13, 1970, show from the Fillmore. Ugh.

P.S.: I acknowledge that nobody wants me selecting the music at the party either. For a lot of people, a tiny bit of progressive metal with Icelandic lyrics goes a long way.

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Turn on Your Lovelight from Live Dead was on perpetually during one period of my life.

Garcia was as much a sociological phenomenon as he was a gifted musician .

25 years ? wow ,ain't it funny how tme just slips away .