Jerry Garcia died 24 years ago today.....

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'll never forget it......my coworker said, "Dude, Jerry died." I said, "What?" He said, "Jerry died." My heart's been a tad broken ever since......

Although He's Gone.....the Music Never Stopped......RIP, Jerry, my Dark Star........

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow....hard to believe it has been that long ago...

One very unique and super-talented dude.

Can't recall anyone ever having said anything negative about him. Rare indeed.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was working in rural Peru and went to the phone company to make a call back to the US. At the time, you actually had to go to the phone company office, give them the number to call in the USA, they dialed it and when someone answered, they directed you to one of their phone booths. I called back home on a Saturday and found out he died the previous Wednesday. The Dead were my favorite band and I miss them dearly

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I found it funny when he had his art on ties since I'll be he hardly ever wore one

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
went to the first gathering in Golden Gate Park held by the band shortly after; remember them all speaking one at a time

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Even though I work in a suit and tie stiff environment, I do have my almost daily dose of gratefulness when I wear one of my many Jerry G. ties........most are pretty "mellow" and tame but I do have a few over the top tie dyed ones, too!

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would never have guessed 24 years. Time really does fly. in any case, never a huge fan but always sad to see someone lose their life. I remember reading somewhere about the autopsy and it was said his heart attack was not only extremely painful but long as well. Hate to hear that. Keep trucking...

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
A few years back playing Garcia's at The Capital Theater. Stella Blues Band w Jason Crosby on Keys.
Great venue lv the paying dead, huge Gerry fan. Hoping to get a chance to share the stage w Phil and Bobby some day.
Yeah red hydraulics on my psych reds lol
Me and chuck.jpg
1452400_10152396850499746_2106567268_n.jpg

photo (8).JPG
photo (8).JPG

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Grateful Dead were a CIA sponsored sub project to distribute LSD to the masses. They were a wildly successful mind control experiment.

The band itself, and specifically Garcia, is inextricably linked to Ken Kesey and his “Acid Test” and Owsley Stanley who by 1967 had become the worlds largest supplier of LSD, using Dead shows as his conduit to deliver the drug.

I think the idea of Garcia as a benevolent figure to be celebrated should be seriously questioned in this context.

Just my 2 cents on the man.

2D00A9AD-B6F1-4661-B96B-602B8B2C13B2.jpeg
6CE58897-A252-4827-97E2-286D86759E43.jpeg

bkny110

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Grateful Dead were a CIA sponsored sub project to distribute LSD to the masses. They were a wildly successful mind control experiment.

The band itself, and specifically Garcia, is inextricably linked to Ken Kesey and his “Acid Test” and Owsley Stanley who by 1967 had become the worlds largest supplier of LSD, using Dead shows as his conduit to deliver the drug.

I think the idea of Garcia as a benevolent figure to be celebrated should be seriously questioned in this context.

View attachment 405792View attachment 405793
So much for no one ever saying anything negative about him.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
My band was practicing in the Sausalito Arts Center, 1970, when 2 guys come in the room. The director of the place, who asked us to quit so that a play, being rehearsed in another room, and having music by the Dead, could proceed.
The other guy was Garcia, he just smiled and checked out our gear and left. We watched the play rehearsal with other Dead members and the actors. It was cool.
Rest In Peace.

(maybe you DO need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows)

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

View attachment 405792View attachment 405793
What does the CIA or federal govt gain from soaking the population in acid?

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Like I said, it is my informed perspective. I don’t consider the truth inherently positive or negative. It just is.

Are you a “Dead Head?”
What does the CIA or federal govt gain from soaking the population in acid?
Well, you could always do that research yourself if that question truly interests you, you would have the benefit of mountains of primary source documentation from the CIA themselves, revealed by the Church Committee and Summarized by Carl Bernstein, that exposes that was exactly what they were doing and why. It is all there, laid out nice and neat for anyone willing to do the work with an open mind. Is that you?

To give you a little tail wind, the CIA developed LSD through Sandoz then immediately weaponized it against their enemies of which was a very legitimate and active anti war movement. This movement was both discredited and ultimately destroyed by Eros of which LSD was a key part of.

Owsley Stanley and the Dead were the delivery system.

That simple. Idolize the man if you wish but he is not who you think he is.

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not quite sure what to say here. You sound sincere with the " do the research for yourself" but man that is heavy. You have to admit, for the uninitiated, that sounds like a brilliant conspiracy...

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not quite sure what to say here. You sound sincere with the " do the research for yourself" but man that is heavy. You have to admit, for the uninitiated, that sounds like a brilliant conspiracy...
...and...what adds to the weight of it...is the 'fact' that our "government" at various stages WAS capable of trying such lame-brained stuff on US.

I mean we can only poo-poo and laugh away so much right?

I'm sure those poor sharecroppers in Tuskegee Alabama would have a few comments to make on the subject. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_syphilis_experiment).

BUT....

This thread was about Jerry Garcia's passing, and no matter where you are with it, it certainly marked the end of a pretty impressive run. Being a CIA "operative" shouldn't take away from the man's ability to write a great tune or play a very unique style of guitar that impacted MILLIONS of fans...

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh, it is heavy, very, which is why most people will never look into it.....and it is a brilliant conspiracy which is not just a pejorative but a criminal charge.

Ask yourself, what do you know about LSD? Who developed it? For who? Is it hard to make? Expensive? What is the involvement of the CIA with this drug? What did they do with it and to what purpose? Who is Ken Kessey, where did he come from, who supplied him? What band played at his Acid tests? Who is Owsley Stanley, where did he come from, who backed him and how did he get involved with the Dead? Who is Dr. Ewan Cameron and how is he connected to this story? What do you know of Dr. Timothy Leary? When he was fired from Harvard University who took him in and funded him? Who are these people and who are they connected to?

If you do not have a working understanding of these answers then you don’t know the Dead.

Last edited:

m_anderson

Reaction score
I was in a bar having a beer with one of my favorite bass players when a Dead tune started playing. John took a swig of beer, slowly set it down on the bar, and then said "I was so happy when he died." Guess you had to be there, but it made me laugh my ass off. He was Dead serious.

Latest posts