Jerry Garcia died 24 years ago today.....

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This week I had an MRI, my first. I prepare to enter the tube and am issued headphones that both protect against loud MRI scan sounds and allow the technician to communicate with me. I’m informed the procedure will take about a half hour and asked if I’d like to listen to music. I request jam band and the millennial looked confused. ‘Grateful Dead?’ “Oh, yes, we have that.” China Rider covered the entire procedure!

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes Free lsd!! I went to countless GD shows in the 70's and 80's and never once was offered or took lsd.
I remember seeing dudes walking around with cardboard signs advertising it for 1 dollar. And there were dudes advertising pot and other drugs as well. I also saw this at many other outdoor festival type concerts during the same time period. Certainly not limited to the GD. Gerry's music will live on forever.

phoster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
“was in a bar having a beer with one of my favorite bass players when a Dead tune started playing. John took a swig of beer, slowly set it down on the bar, and then said "I was so happy when he died." Guess you had to be there, but it made me laugh my ass off. He was Dead serious.”

Says more about you and your friend then anything. Are you still both jerks 24 years later?

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
“was in a bar having a beer with one of my favorite bass players when a Dead tune started playing. John took a swig of beer, slowly set it down on the bar, and then said "I was so happy when he died." Guess you had to be there, but it made me laugh my ass off. He was Dead serious.”

Says more about you and your friend then anything. Are you still both jerks 24 years later?
It all comes back

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ah, Carlos, you simpleton, the exact manner of comment I would expect from you. Were you unknowingly dosed at a Dead show?
I was dosed at several. The last was the Hollywood Palladium. Afterwards the CIA sent me to Cambodia as an advance scout for Nixon’s invasion.this ranks up there with Nacci’s belief that the twin towers were an inside job. Well played Nacci!

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was dosed at several. The last was the Hollywood Palladium. Afterwards the CIA sent me to Cambodia as an advance scout for Nixon’s invasion.this ranks up there with Nacci’s belief that the twin towers were an inside job. Well played Nacci!

Ah, but they were.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's my story on Jerry Garcia's death.

At the time, I was working in a lab, and there were a lot of us in the same room, doing science. It was almost like a sweat shop for chemists. Anyway, you usually paired up with someone so you could share resources and lab bench space. I ended up having a lab partner who was a really nice guy - also a hippie, by anyone's definition, and a total Deadhead. I wasn't a fan of the band or the music, but I had always liked watching Garcia in interviews - I thought he was an intelligent and informed dude. I just didn't dig the music so much. So this lab partner and I would talk music and he would tell me about shows he had been to, and the scenes there - all good stuff. Well, some of the other folks in the lab, mostly ladies, didn't like this guy because he had long, unkempt hair and a big beard (before the style came back into vogue), did drugs occasionally, and he bathed maybe a few times a week. In fact, they made fun of him a lot, and also made fun of his "hippy groups" that he listened to. They were pretty mean.
So, the day the news broke, we were at work, and he had gone out to get his wife a birthday present at lunchtime, because he had forgotten. While he was gone, we heard on the radio that Jerry had died. I knew he would not have heard about Jerry's death while out, because his car radio was broken.
Well, those mean ladies plotted to really give it to him hard when he got back, about how his favorite "hippy Jesus" had died. I was going to have none of their bullying, so I watched for his car in the parking lot. When he pulled in, I quickly went out there to respectfully break him the news, sparing him of the shock and derision he would have received from our angry co-workers. He really appreciated that, and managed to avoid the nastiness for the rest of the day, as I made sure to distract them by any means I could muster.
Years later, we crossed paths, and he still remembered that day. He was bummed, for sure, but it could have been a lot worse.

Last edited:

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's my story on Jerry Garcia's death.

At the time, I was working in a lab, and there were a lot of us in the same room, doing science. It was almost like a sweat shop for chemists. Anyway, you usually paired up with someone so you could share resources and lab bench space. I ended up having a lab partner who was a really nice guy - also a hippie, by anyone's definition, and a total Deadhead. I wasn't a fan of the band or the music, but I had always liked watching Garcia in interviews - I thought he was an intelligent and informed dude. I just didn't dig the music so much. So this lab partner and I would talk music and he would tell me about shows he had been to, and the scenes there - all good stuff. Well, some of the other folks in the lab, mostly ladies, didn't like this guy because he had long, unkempt hair and a big beard (before the style came back into vogue), did drugs occasionally, and he bathed maybe a few times a week. In fact, they made fun of him a lot, and also made fun of his "hippy groups" that he listened to. They were pretty mean.
So, the day the news broke, we were at work, and he had gone out to get his wife a birthday present at lunchtime, because he had forgotten. While he was gone, we heard on the radio that Jerry had died. I knew he would not have heard about Jerry's death while out, because his car radio was broken.
Well, those mean ladies plotted to really give it to him hard when he got back, about how his favorite "hippy Jesus" had died. I was going to have none of their bullying, so I watched for his car in the parking lot. When he pulled in, I quickly went out there to respectfully break him the news, sparing him of the shock and derision he would have received from our angry co-workers. He really appreciated that, and managed to avoid the nastiness for the rest of the day, as I made sure to distract them by any means I could muster.
Years later, we crossed paths, and he still remembered that day. He was bummed, for sure, but it could have been a lot worse.
Standup thing to do bellbrass, just a standup thing to do...

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh, it is heavy, very, which is why most people will never look into it.....and it is a brilliant conspiracy which is not just a pejorative but a criminal charge.

Ask yourself, what do you know about LSD? Who developed it? For who? Is it hard to make? Expensive? What is the involvement of the CIA with this drug? What did they do with it and to what purpose? Who is Ken Kessey, where did he come from, who supplied him? What band played at his Acid tests? Who is Owsley Stanley, where did he come from, who backed him and how did he get involved with the Dead? Who is Dr. Ewan Cameron and how is he connected to this story? What do you know of Dr. Timothy Leary? When he was fired from Harvard University who took him in and funded him? Who are these people and who are they connected to?

If you do not have a working understanding of these answers then you don’t know the Dead.
OT- your tin foil hat is a little crooked.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
OT- your tin foil hat is a little crooked.
Ok, a man would have to be a fool to walk into a Cult and expect to free everyone. Perhaps, just hope to plant a seed and hope that it will grow over time.

Before I leave this thread I will mention that the other psychedelic that is synomous with the Dead is Psilocybin. This drug was “discovered” by Gordon Wasson. Wasson was both Chairman of the Council on Foreign Relations and Vice President Of Propaganda at J.P. Morgan and, of course, he worked for the CIA.

So you see the Dead is like playing 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon, you only have to scratch the surface to find the CIA.

Old Dog

Reaction score
It was a Tuesday or Wednesday when he passed if I remember correctly. Two friends came up to the office I was working in and told me. They had dropped some acid in his honor.

Latest posts