Jim Gordon – Full Interview – Tape A Side A

Scott K Fish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
SKF NOTE: I posted the back story, the genesis, of this interview, on my blog, right here, so I won't repeat the story. https://scottkfish.com/2015/09/25/scott-k-fish-interview-jim-gordon/

This interview with musician Jim Gordon took place January 11, 1982. That makes it 38 years old. Yes, I've posted on my blog audio and written excerpts from this interview. An edited version of the interview transcription appeared in Modern Drummer magazine.

But this is the first time I'm making available my full, unedited interview with Jim Gordon. I think it's time. Jim Gordon is an important piece of pop and rock music history. He is a key part of drumming history. And as far as I know, 38 years later, this is the only full-length Jim Gordon interview in existence.

Looking back, I wish I had more time to prepare for this interview. Those of you who read the back story will learn I didn't have more time. On the bitter cold night of January 11, 1982, in my room in a Nutley, NJ rooming house, my phone rang unexpectedly. Jim Gordon was calling.

So began this interview.

I will add Tape A Side B and Tape B Side A to the blog as soon as possible.

SKFBlog - Life Beyond the Cymbals - https://scottkfish.com/2020/03/22/jim-gordon-full-interview-tape-a-side-a/

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thanks so much for making this available, Scott. As a drummer who has been studying Jim's technique for years now, I really appreciate this look into Jim's life at the time. And as you've pointed out, this is probably the only full interview of Jim in existence. Everything else are just snippets here and there. I will be checking this out over the next few days. I really look forward to the other parts of the interview as well.
He is indeed a key part of drumming history.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
He sounds just like any other normal person. Hard to comprehend how bad his mental illness was at the time and where it would lead him in less than a year and a half. If you have never known anyone who struggles with mental illness you may not understand but if you have it is hard to have anything but sympathy for the man. What he did to his mother is unthinkable and the way he treated Rita Wilson and others is terrible but he was truly not in control of himself. It's a very sad story.

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thank you for posting that. So much of my listening at that time had Jim on drums. His playing was a big influence.

icebone

Reaction score
Jim was one of my biggest influences growing up in los angeles. I still try to cop his feel. Great touch on everything. Cymbals like a jazz drummer drums clear and clean played with great time and feel.
he was a good producer and writer, not just a drummer. Thanks for posting he deserves to be included in the drumming community of today as we all play a few of his licks.

Castnblast

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank for posting this interview Scott. It was great to hear the actual audio file.
I hope Jim Gordon has received the medical attention that he deserves. I also hope that he reads the positive comments and posts, and is aware of the impact that he has made on fellow drummers around the globe.

jb111

Reaction score
Thank you very much for this post. He was just such an incredible musician with one of the all time greatest feels behind a kit.

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
...listening now...Jim sounds completely lucid...thank you so much for sharing
I saw Delaney & Bonnie in 1971 hoping he'd be on drums...I remember my heart sinking when Jim Keltner came out (pre sunglasses)
hahaha.

icebone

Reaction score
I saw Jim play with Delaney and Bonnie, traffic, at the lighthouse with Tim Weisberg who he produced spied on him on sessions at Aand M studios, watched a Jackson Browne gig and listened to everything he played on. My favorite being Mad Dogs and Englishmen where he was at a real peak playing wise. Im not alone in being a fan. Thanks
Scott for putting this up. I listened to it on youtube a while back. Long live Gordo !! Incredible Bongo Band !! Souther Hillman Furay band tune Bordertown classic Gordo drumming.

Scott K Fish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So in the first interview you asked who invented the Bo Didley beat?
Clifton James
I had either just started, or was very close to starting, to write my "History of Rock Drumming" five-part series when Jim and I did this interview. Up the road, I think blues musician Willie Dixon told me about Clifton James and I was able to interview Mr. James.

Here's my Clifton James interview transcript: https://scottkfish.com/2015/12/09/clifton-james-i-wanted-my-own-style-of-playing/

Scott K Fish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jim Gordon – Full Interview – Tape A Side B

SKF NOTE: If you’re coming to this Tape A Side B before my posting of Jim Gordon – Full Interview – Tape A Side A, the rest of the info in this post is the same as the info in my Tape A Side A post. There is a third and final segment of this interview, which I will post soon.

Scott K Fish Blog - Life Beyond the Cymbals - https://scottkfish.com/2020/03/26/jim-gordon-full-interview-tape-a-side-b/

Scott K Fish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jim Gordon - Full Interview - Tape B Side A - The End

SKF NOTE: This is the third and final segment of my interview with Jim Gordon. I posted the back story, the genesis, of this interview, on my blog.

EssKayKay

Reaction score
Excellent interview Scott. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Latest posts