Jim Gordon's Camco set

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
If the vintage drum community, other than a few of us here, was really convinced these belonged to Jim, then I predict we'll see a major player like Steve Maxwell or Donn Bennett buy these. But then again....fear of backlash...they might go to a private collector.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
has 8 bids so far
on their way to a mid week 1st plateau
ah and an 'assist' by someone here added into text...lol
Yes. That was me. What's your point?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have no point. What was your point?
Did the seller reach out to you?
You trying to influence an election? lol..
What's in it for you lol.
What are you getting out of it (ha..

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have no point. What was your point?
Did the seller reach out to you?
You trying to influence an election? lol..
Nope. I reached out them before I started this thread. That's how I got the picture with the 12" mounted they way Jim had it. Just trying to help them out.

messineo21

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I read that Jim Keltner has Gordon’s Camco kit. I’ll try and find the article I’m pretty sure I have it somewhere.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Who the hell would go to all of the trouble to try to fake a drum set for Jim Gordon? Outside of drum nerds nobody knows who he is.
Exactly. Why bother faking it when the guy hasn't even played in 35 years? Younger drummers could likely care less. Outside of us here, nobody would even know he played Camcos.

The kit is in the right geographical region. Right drums. Right details. Right hardware. Matching extra hole. Valley Arts drum head. MATCHING GRAIN. There is certainly far more evidence in support of authenticity than not.
Precisely my opinion on this. More leans toward it being true than against.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To think that Jim's money would have lasted essentially 40 years (yes, you can argue that he did some stuff after leaving Jackson Browne's band in '78, but nothing huge after that) after he was out of the peak of the scene is being generous. These guys made good money for the day, but not HUGE money that could have lasted in excess of four decades. His lawyer's fees alone probably ate the entire estate. Add to that his lifestyle, drug use, a divorce, etc... Trust me, nothing is left from that estate. Certainly not millions of dollars.
Rob's right. He might (emphasis on "might") have gotten a big payday for the piano outro on Layla, but the regular bread and butter session work and occasional tours he did would doubtfully have made him a wildly wealthy man. Add to that his lack of steady work when the symptoms grew, and it's entirely believable he might have arranged to have his drums sold "to get him some money while he was incarcerated". I strongly doubt he was navigating his finances and lawyer fees while behind bars. He just as likely wanted some quick cash.

Last edited:

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If Jim had not committed his terrible crime, his drums might well already be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And even if these drums could be proven to be his 2nd Camco kit, a collector might not want to brag about having them for fear of backlash.
I could easily see someone attempting to fake a Jim Gordon drum set. It would be like faking any other instrument, except that in Jim's case, nobody would be around to authenticate the instrument. Jim was a famous musician, even among the non-musician fans of 70s rock. He was fairly well-known, due to his involvement with The Everly Brothers, Delaney & Bonnie, Eric Clapton, Joe Cocker, Johnny Rivers, and Frank Zappa. He was on countless recordings.
Even in the case of deceased famous musicians, family members or former bandmates will come to the rescue if an instrument is being sold fraudulently. Only in Jim's case, nobody is likely to step forward, due to his past and the fact that he's been incarcerated since 1984. It seems like the perfect scenario for a fake representation, in fact.
Still though - if someone is convinced that these were Jim's, it will be interesting to see where the price goes. If they truly were one of Jim's Camco kits, then they were used on a bunch of sessions, hit songs, and tours. He might have kept his Oaklawn kit for recording, and toured with the Chanute kit...who knows.
I'm still not convinced this kit belonged to Jim, at least until I see better pictures from the Eric Keltner visit to Jim's house for Scott's MD interview. I wonder if Scott knows how to get in touch with Eric? Even if we could see the original photos, the drums themselves might be too out of focus.
As was asked of you earlier, how do you explain the matching grain on the 12" tom?

The grain pattern is the same. The discolorations and anomalies in the wood are matching in the same places.

Pretty much impossible that there would be a duplicate Camco tom with those exact grain matches.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone live near enough to the drum shop that could go over for a visit? Maybe thy have more info about n the origin?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
who cares what does it matter who owned them; they didn't build them.
the origin is right on the badge isn't it.. ; )

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One only has to look at what celebrity owned kits have fetched in the past to know that "pedigree" matters. Would you pay a premium for Doug Clifford's Camco kit used in the early CCR albums or on tour? We know what the top premium for pedigreed kits is with Ringo's $2 MILL BOP. Jim Gordon did some serious work in the 60's and 70's as Hal Blaine's protege....and one of the members of the WC. Even younger drummers today go back and check out who came before them. My nephew has been drumming for only 2 yrs (age 19) and he's telling ME about drummers from the 40's to 70's that I didn't know much about. I think eventually, most drummers go back and go through the history of the instrument.

That Camco Bop kit linked above is cool. I'd bet there's very few of those around compared to Gretsch and Ludwig.

And with 123 "watchers" on that Ebay Camco kit....it could bring some serious money. I would suspect it does end up with a drum shop that specializes in vintage/celebrity kits.

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rob's right. He might (emphasis on "might") have gotten a big payday for the piano outro on Layla, but the regular bread and butter session work and occasional tours he did would doubtfully have made him a wildly wealthy man. Add to that his lack of steady work when the symptoms grew, and it's entirely believable he might have arranged to have his drums sold "to get him some money while he was incarcerated". I strongly doubt he was navigating his finances and lawyer fees while behind bars. He just as likely wanted some quick cash.
He earned 1.5 million in royalties for Layla when Clapton put out the Unplugged album. Ironically, that version omits the piano outro which was his contribution (albeit stolen from Rita Coolidge). He also won a Grammy.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He earned 1.5 million in royalties for Layla when Clapton put out the Unplugged album. Ironically, that version omits the piano outro which was his contribution (albeit stolen from Rita Coolidge). He also won a Grammy.
Good to know, and I'm glad to hear it. However, Clapton's Unplugged LP was released in August 1992, which was 8 years after Gordon had been incarcerated. The ebay listing makes it sound as though the drums were sold off long before that, in order to generate quick cash.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good to know, and I'm glad to hear it. However, Clapton's Unplugged LP was released in August 1992, which was 8 years after Gordon had been incarcerated. The ebay listing makes it sound as though the drums were sold off long before that, in order to generate quick cash.
I've been told that Jim continues to earn royalties from multiple sources, not just for Layla. Although not wealthy at the time of his incarceration, he was not broke, either.

Jmccorm665

Reaction score
as far as the sets , one la era set is at Vox studios you can look that up on you tube they show it to you. a different set was purchased from a storage facility through the recycler newspaper or something I read a while ago. I think he had a lot of sets throughout the years.

Jmccorm665

Reaction score
I don't think he really needed money either. I heard he was giving money to fellow inmates a while ago . I think now his daughter handles his money now. I came across some legal fillings available online from the contra costa court district or something like that. It was a bond or something posted against his estate. it was like 1.6 mil or something It was like guardianship papers or something from his brother to Jims daughter for guardianship and control of his finances. Its actually pretty sad. I just went though the same court fillings for my autistic son here in NY

madsplash

Martin Van Nostrand
Reaction score
1565039232821.png

Thought this was a cool find. Shows Jim in the prison band he was playing in as of 1996. Not sure if he still gets to play. I hope so.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
That is really cool.

I came across some excerpts from the phone interview for the MD article. Looks like the interview took place on January 11 1982 so about a year before it was published. The pictures would have been at some point not to far after that.

Latest posts