Jim Gordon's Camco set

Jpollard8

Reaction score
$4000 bid took it. 5 incremental max bids by the winner today above the $4000 shows determination. Though other bidders (and seller) can see all that and could tempted to run you up. Glad you got it. Only 2 bidders above $3400 on this kit. And by the 1400+ feed backs of the other bidder, they could have been a vintage drum resaler.
Well considering I offered the seller way more than 4K and was declined outside of eBay, I feel fortunate and saved money! And have been sniped too many times at the end so increased max especially within last few minutes while driving. Couldn’t watch very end.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you! I had a lot more cued up above 4K. It would have had to be a really good sniper “shot”! I’ve been digging and gotten some other pieces of info that hadn’t been brought to light here. Lots more legwork to be done. But I feel pretty confident it’s his kit. When I get more work done and pieces to the puzzle I will update at that point. Been a lot of fun reading this thread and investigating and studying past few days. If anybody else ever has or gets and other info please message me. Thanks everyone!
Can't wait to hear all about the kit. Are you going for the snare as well?

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Congrats Jpollard8!

Interesting thread for sure. Thanks to everyone who posted, provided pictures, graphics, opinions, etc.

I considered bidding but figured it would go above what I was comfortable with and saw no reason to needlessly bid up the price.

I am hoping the seller completed the transaction and sends the kit to the buyer.

I would love to see pictures and hear more info on the kit as time goes on.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
If that was actually Jim's and is the one in the earlier picture I posted that may be from the recording of the second Derek and the Dominos album, then it is possible that it was also used on the first album. So it could be the "Layla Snare drum". With no evidence to prove anything I think it is a very risky bet at that price. The set was priced to start for what you would start a regular kit at but this snare is priced as if it is something other than a run of the mill Camco snare. Could very well have been his but then again might not have been.

Obiwandrumobe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Circa '71 I spent the entire day in Lisner Auditorium on the George Washington University campus in D.C. sitting in the front row watching the roadies load-in equipment for the Derek & the Dominoes concert that evening for which I had tickets. As the afternoon wore on, I mozied unnoticed up onto the stage walking around observing the activity. Seeing and standing next to Jim's assembled Camco's, I asked a roadie if I could "try them out". I will leave it to the reader to imagine the look I was given. I remained onstage and in the wings throughout the rest of the afternoon and into the night where just before the concert began I inadvertently spent a few minutes alone in a stage-right dressing room with a very skinny, nervous and (apparently) addicted Eric Clapton as he sat on a couch and warmed up with his unplugged red Strat.

But that's another story.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Circa '71 I spent the entire day in Lisner Auditorium on the George Washington University campus in D.C. sitting in the front row watching the roadies load-in equipment for the Derek & the Dominoes concert that evening for which I had tickets. As the afternoon wore on, I mozied unnoticed up onto the stage walking around observing the activity. Seeing and standing next to Jim's assembled Camco's, I asked a roadie if I could "try them out". I will leave it to the reader to imagine the look I was given. I remained onstage and in the wings throughout the rest of the afternoon and into the night where just before the concert began I inadvertently spent a few minutes alone in a stage-right dressing room with a very skinny, nervous and (apparently) addicted Eric Clapton as he sat on a couch and warmed up with his unplugged red Strat.

What a cool story! I wish I could have been there with you.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
1127 and change ching-ching

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hindadoon added his comment before I could finish my post, but I'll add my concurrence to what he has said more succinctly!

It would have been clearer how much the Jim Gordon connection affected the price if the snare drum had been a 5" Oaklawn. A nice Oaklawn Aristocrat 5" wood-shelled drum with the tall COB hoops will sell easily for $650-$750, and more if it is really cherry and in a popular or uncommon finish or wrap. A later one with the COS hoops may be at the low end, and might be had on a good day for $550.

6.5" Oaklawn badged snare drums are very difficult to find. You may recall a while back that a drum showed up on Ebay that had a trifecta: a wood-shelled super (very uncommon) in burgundy sparkle (a less common and popular wrap) and a 6.5 inch shell with an Oaklawn badge (rare). All three of these together? Unicorn. That drum brought over $1600.

You will see Chanute 6.5" drums from time to time, and while uncommon in general, it seems that if you see an LA period Camco snare drum that it is about a 50% chance that it will be 6.5" (and of course these have Keller shells, so sound quite different to the Oaklawn and Chanute drums). All of the ones I've seen have lacquer finishes, and not wraps. Even the rare Oaklawn 6.5" shells are nearly always seen in lacquer finishes, and not wraps.

To get back to the "Gordon" drum, I tabulated what the drum might bring if parted out, and I think it is worth at least $800 as-is (including some potentially replaced t-rods and a hoop or two). There are established regular prices for the strainer, muffler, lugs, butt, and so on. If that shell (which is in pretty good condition for a lacquer finish, with no extra holes) came up on its own, I think it could bring $350-550.

An LA 6.5" drum in good, all original condition will sell for $850, or even more. A 6.5" Oaklawn with a Jasper shell will not come up that often, and if at least two people want one, they will have to bid each other up.

So, if it were a 5" Camco Aristocrat in walnut with COS hoops, I would say $550 would be the price, and anything above that could be considered the Gordon premium. Given that it is a rare Oaklawn 6.5" shell, I think the value of the drum itself to the right buyer would be $850+, and in this case the Gordon premium might be $300 or so. BUT the purchaser could have been focusing primarily on the Gordon mojo, or primarily on the 6.5" shell, or any combination in between. And that's why (unless the purchaser shares the thinking) we won't know the motivation.

I've seen some people in this thread speculate on whether Camco wood-shelled drums sound good. They do. Go on Youtube and listen to Steve Maxwell playing Camco kits. The Oaklawn drums have Jasper shells (similar to Gretsch) and sound great with both the tall COB or later COS hoops which really allow the drums to sing (rather than bark as Gretsch drums often do). One problem, however, is that if a player prefers a 6.5" drum, they are not readily available, so most people won't have had the chance to play one. It's a shame, since they are really great sounding drums.

Congratulations to the purchaser of the "Gordon" 6.5" Oaklawn. I don't think it was an outrageous price for a rare drum, with the potential upside of doing additional research and documenting that it belonged to one of the great studio drummers.

b/o 402

Wacky old coot
Reaction score

I was at that show!
My best friend's dad worked at GWU and scored tickets for us.
First big time show for us, a couple of 16-year-olds.
I'll be honest - I remember being bored, as every song turned into a 15 minute jam.
That, and it was painfully loud.
I mean, my bud and I were musos and had heard and played loud music many times, but this was ridiculous. We were fourth row from the back in a 1500 seat auditorium and kept our ears covered the entire time.
Only other details I remember were that the opener was a group called Toefat, and he must have gotten a deal with Sound City as there were a bunch of those stacks on stage IIRC.

Whitten

Reaction score
I have a similar drum. I didn't know they were rare and to be honest I've never had that great results with it, as opposed to the rest of the kit which is....killer.
IMG_0883.jpg

Latest posts