Joe Cusatis-Rhytmic Sticking (I have a problem)

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great book!!!
I have been drumming for a lifetime and always go back to this book that I have for over 30 years.
Here's my problem:
During the crossover sticking exercises I cannot do a certain activity.

I play traditional and keep my snare slightly pointed down.
My floor tom is about level with my snare and is very close to the snare. Maybe 6 inches apart.

For the life of me I cannot cross over from the floor tom to the snare without hitting my left hand when my left hand is on the floor tom.
However, I think I have found a fix for this.

When I cross from the snare to the FT I hit the half of the FT that is closest to the BD... My hands do not actually cross over each other but
you get the same effect from the sound though it may not look as impressive...When my other hand is going to cross over from the FT to the snare
I hit the half of the snare that is closest to where I sit... So once again the hands are not crossing over each other since the hand striking the FT is
towards the BD while the other hand strikes the snare closest to the throne...

In otherwords, the hands don't cross over each other but they do cross over on the drums...

Understood

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can you make a short video of the issue. Also a pdf of the excercise would be helpful.

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
multijd said:
Can you make a short video of the issue. Also a pdf of the excercise would be helpful.
Hi,
I am attaching 2 files.
The first one is page 41 of Joe Cusatis Rythmic Patterns and the second is my hands as I attempt the crossover from the FT with
my LH to the snare.
(The measure in reference is the first one).

If you notice the first note of the trip on beat 4 requires a cross over from the FT to the snare by the right hand.
Now I am LH so everything is reversed... I have my right hand on the FT and I am crossing over it with my left.
As you can see by my picture the left hand is hitting my right hand/wrist when I attempt this crossover.

A quick second question. I think this is a typo

The last note of the fourth trip shows an R with an arrow to the right.
According to the legend this means to cross you RH over to the right.
However, your RH is already on on the snare drum and doesn't need to cross over anything from what I see.

Attachments

Latest posts