JOE MONTINERI COPPER SPARKEL “BOP” KIT w/ Orgional DW Vintage Shells (now w/ video)

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So, those of you who have read my post over the past few years know that I enjoy buying and selling drums and cymbals. At times, those purchases are made after great research and careful consideration. Other times, the whole process is rather impulsive, but this kit was an odd purchase even by my own admission! I recently sold a great sounding, older Taiwanese made Gretsch Catalina set in copper sparkle because I just did not care for the sound of the lauan kick. And no sooner had I sold off my 18” kick bag… I found this set on the “for sale” threads and was drawn to it like the preverbal moth to a flood light!

This Montineri bop kit was listed for sale by Almamadre on the boards a few months back and it's here again! Why you ask? I have made peace with the fact that while I like the travel convenience of an 18" kick, I just dont care for the feel of them. I would have said I dont like the sound of 18's, but this sounds GREAT so that is not a factor in this kit. It's just feel. And at my size, it looks like Im playing a 12" rack tom on it's side! LOL! So it's time to sell my last 18" base drum set.

For those that may not know of Joe Montineri, Joe is often referred to as the “Father of Boutique Custom Snares”. He first came to the drumming world’s attention during the mid to late 70’s while working in the Los Angeles area (Santa Monica) as a custom builder and restoration expert specializing in backline, tech and rental support. As his reputation grew and demand for his custom drums outstripped his other work, he relocated to his hometown area of Hartford, Connecticut in the mid 1980’s. To my knowledge, Joe has never ceased building custom drums since the late 70’s, but for 7 or 8 years (2002 to 2007) he also worked for Keller Wood Products in New Hampshire as the Director Of Product Development where he designed and engineered many of the drum shells you are using today under different brand names. This all ties into my particular kit as Joe also designed these shells while at Keller, and is still using them today.

This little bop kit (8X12”, 14X14” and 14X18”) utilizes both generations of the Drum Workshop vintage inspired “Classic” shell. Originally, both toms were built from the same shell composition featuring a 1½” tall, 8 ply maple ring or hoop and a 6 ply shell (mahogany/ poplar/mahogany/ poplar/poplar/ mahogany). The kick shares the same shell formula but with a 2” tall 10 ply maple hoop.

I mentioned that this kit featured “both” of the DW Classic shell formulas and that is due to the original floor tom being damaged in shipping, to the extent that it could not be repaired. I assume he was out of the same shells so the replacement floor tom features what I believe was the earlier DW shell Joe designed, a 2” tall 10 ply maple hoop with a 3 ply shell of mahogany/poplar /mahogany. I know everyone refers to these shells (wither from DW or from Keller) as a Mahogany kit and I think that is a little inaccurate. These are really poplar drums by volume and I truly don’t think there is enough African mahogany in the shells to have that strong of a tonal impact. But overall they are warm and round…. And a real joy to play.

All the drums were appointed with the then new Ronn Dunnett designed vintage style Slingerland “Super Lugs” as well as his stylish Gull Wing Spurs and holders. The kick and rack are virgin while the floor has the now standard innocuous round floor tom brackets (which I think really distract from the look of the kit overall). To finish off the kit, Joe wrapped everything in his own designed, Delmar produced Copper Sparkle. I asked Joe if this was the same as Delmar’s gold sparkle and he said not at all, if I could directly compare it to their gold, I would clearly see the difference. It is manufactured on a white background so that does give it a hint of the old Bermuda Sand look with a bit of break in the particles. I still think I see it as more gold than copper, though it is a beautiful wrap!

All I did to finish out the kit upon it’s arrival was to add a set of Gibraltar’s floating floor tom feet, a Drum N Base hoop proctor and my heads of choice, coated Remo Emperors over coated Ambassadors with a Felt Tone Fiberskyn factory kick reso and a coated Aquarian Super Kick 1 on the batter. Remember, they are “bop” sizes but I don’t play jazz so they are headed and tuned more for blues, pop and quiet!

The history of the kit is short, but it’s neat to know it’s lineage. Joe built the set originally in late 2015 - early 2016, posting the pic below in his shop awaiting shipment in January of 2016. The set was sold to The Drum Center of Portsmouth (Portsmouth, New Hampshire) where it must have set for a while. The screen shot is store manager Tony demoing the kit in a “Wednesday Walk Through” video posted in March of 2017. DFO member Almamadre bought the kit from DCP and I bought it in January of 2020. So I’m just the second playing owner and now whoever owns it after me will know the history as well.

I’m really pleased that I gave in to my impulses and made this purchase (and Almamadre is a wonderful guy to deal with, highly recommended), not only did it tell me I'm not an 18" kick guy, I just had a blast playing them and owning such a cool part of custom history! I hope whoever owns this kit next will appreciate having my geeky history report as well. I know now is a terrible time to sell drums but I need to start somewhere so I will list here and then on to Reverb, Facebook and Ebay quickly. They WILL come with a set of Fred Beato Pro 1 bags as well that are in very nice condition, only one zipper is missing the little pull ribbon. I know everone says it but I think I mean it in this case (and for one of my upcoming snare I will list soon) If these do not sell, I intend to enjoy being the current caretaker!

Thanks for the long read and look, yell with any questions or offers,
Ward

3 DRUMS WITH NEW HEADS AS SHOWN INCLUDING BEATO PRO BAGS SHIPPING ANYWHERE IN THE LOWER 48 FOR $1,000
Feel free to make offers but I will not move a whole lot on these. If in Canada we can talk shipping as well

20200330_185556 copy.jpg

20200308_161710.jpg

20200308_162055.jpg

20200118_165646 copy.jpg

20200118_165707 copy.jpg

20200126_115924 copy.jpg

20200126_121314 copy.jpg

20200126_121555 copy.jpg

DCP 3-7-18 copy.jpg

Montineri Instagram.jpg

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
20200118_131049 copy.jpg

20200308_163431.jpg

Rack 1.jpg

This was a hard decision to include this clip as it's not very good, but I don't have anything better to show the drums with. Several folks have asked about my choice of coated Emperors on a bop kit and as I have outlined in the original text, I don't play jazz! This kit was pit together to be a nice easy load in for local casual dates with my folk or jam bands. So the heads are just what I needed. They are all new, so even if you replace them your going to have a great set for another application.

The video is loose and not well played OR sung by any of us, but it DOES show the toms and kick very well. This was part of a quickly thrown together jam that was broadcast live a few weeks ago so it is what it is and that's not very much to be honest. BUT, it does show off the drums as they are only miked with the two overheads and the single AKG-D12 on the factory un-ported head. So what you hear is what I am asking them to do. Warm and fat... like me!!

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
(1) That is the best ad I have ever read. Descriptive and informative.
(2) Damn, I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat if I had the cash laying around.

LOL! What can I say... I'm a drum geek! I always said I learned to play just so I could justify owning drums in general!

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
This definitely gets Deal of the Month award here on the Forum. These drums would look great on any high profile jazz stage. And to paraphrase Signor Terranni, your FAT prose is a very fine description and discussion of these drums!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
LOL! I thought "fat" was pretty fitting for both me AND the drums! I am OK keeping them, but I really hope they will find a good home where they will be played more than if I hang on to them. I just ordered a 14X20" from Josh at INDe to round out my Inde shell bank so I just don't see these getting much rotation with the 18" kick. It SOUNDS great, it just does not feel right (or look right in front of my fat ---). I don't care for lifts and to drop the beater any further down makes it feel even worse. Someone else will enjoy playing them more than me, but they want like them any more than myself, as I think they are wonderful!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This was a hard decision to include this clip as it's not very good, but I dont have anything better to show the drums with. Several folks have asked about my choice of coated Emperors on a bop kit and as I have outlined in the orgional text, I dont play jazz! This kit was put together to be a nice, easy load in for local casual dates with my folk or jam bands. So the heads are just what I needed. They are all new, so even if you replace them your going to have a great set for another application.

The video is loose and not well played OR sung by any of us, but it DOES show the toms and kick very well. This was part of a quickly thrown together jam that was broadcast live a few weeks ago so it is what it is and that's not very much to be honest. BUT, it does show off the drums as they are only miked with the two overheads and the single AKG-D12 on the factory un-ported head. So what you hear is what I am asking them to do. Warm and fat... like me!!

Last edited:

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
Those tubs sound great. One my favorite Glenn Cambell songs. Glenn was an awesome songwriter and musician
...major cred. I guess he was good golf buddies with Alice Cooper....figure that one out.!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That set is such a keeper man, youll regret it
Yea, it's a great song which we did a pretty good job of butchering!

If no one buys it, and in today's climate they may not, I will keep it and enjoy it. But because of the 18" kick, It would not see that much play. I'm just a 20" kick guy.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think it's been around a dozen days so so I will bump this set up ral quick and let you know that it's on my Facebook page and Ebay starting today. Hoping someone will be interested in a truly unique kit!

W

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,
You do state that it’s a 3 drum sale, but you refer to the snare, and show pics of it.
Is it 3, or 4 pieces ?
Thnx

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi,
You do state that it’s a 3 drum sale, but you refer to the snare, and show pics of it.
Is it 3, or 4 pieces ?
Thnx

Thanks for the note, I thought it was pretty clear as the sale line says it's just the three drums and bags for sale (along with the floor tom legs of course). But you made a very good point, I had included the history about the floor tom and snare as part of the sets history but it is not important in the selling of the kit so I removed it to prevent it from being confusing. Thanks for the heads up and a fresh set of eyes.

Ward

Last edited:

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the note, I thought it was pretty clear as the sale line says it's just the three drums and bags for sale (along with the floor tom legs of course). But you made a very good point, I had included the history about the floor tom and snare as part of the sets history but it is not important in the selling of the kit so I removed it to prevent it from being confusing. Thanks for the heads up and a fresh set of eyes.

Ward
Glad I was able to help you clarify
Showing the snare was tantalizing, and I wanted it to be true.
Ha
It is beautiful gear, and GLWS

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Howdy folks, 20 days seemed like an appropriate time between bumps! Any interest at all? Playing is going to pick back up and this would make someone an amazing gigging kit! I know it's a bad time to sell gear, but still gotta try! Make me an offer... you never know!

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hell of a deal, a custom MIA kit, with bags, come on. Those shells look amazing, from a builder with an amazing rep. Anyone looking for a killer bop kit/small venue kit, can't lose here.