Joe Morello - The "Take Five" Cymbal Documentary

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Although it's probably been posted here before, I just found this on youtube and it's all about Joe. I found it very interesting, the story about how as a young man he was discovered by Marion Mcpartland. Great video.

Last edited by a moderator:

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Great stuff. Thanks for posting that.

Mike

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Less is more ! Only one cymbal for the recorded version, and on a 4 piece kt. Joe was the man.
Coy

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
I got to see him three times with the Dave Brubeck Quartet. The first time I got to meet and talk with him backstage during the intermission. Super nice guy and certainly one of the tastiest drummers I ever heard.

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In what year did Joe switch from Zil to Paiste?...

he played Ludwigs..because he didnt like Gretsch,I read....

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Maybe we read the same thing, but theres a great drum magazine article I saw sometime ago, and its called something like, Joe Morellos drum kits through the ages. It acknowledges that very thing, that while most jazz guys were on small Gretsch kits, Joe wanted Ludwigs with a bigger, boomier bass drum such as rock musicians were favoring at the time. Brubecks heart was for reaching college kids through that period so maybe Joes drum choices purposely reflected that mission.

Id post the link, but my technical proficiencies on an iPad are rather sad.

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
SwivoNut said:
I got to see him three times with the Dave Brubeck Quartet. The first time I got to meet and talk with him backstage during the intermission. Super nice guy and certainly one of the tastiest drummers I ever heard.
What a lucky guy. And to have the chance to meet and talk with him must have been an amazing experience.

R

RickP

DrummerJustLikeDad said:
Maybe we read the same thing, but theres a great drum magazine article I saw sometime ago, and its called something like, Joe Morellos drum kits through the ages. It acknowledges that very thing, that while most jazz guys were on small Gretsch kits, Joe wanted Ludwigs with a bigger, boomier bass drum such as rock musicians were favoring at the time. Brubecks heart was for reaching college kids through that period so maybe Joes drum choices purposely reflected that mission.

http://drummagazine.com/joe-morellos-drum-kit-through-the-ages/

here you go

Dan RH owned Joe's DW kit for a period of time. Not sure who owns it now.

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's a photo from Time Out sessions

RickP said:

http://drummagazine.com/joe-morellos-drum-kit-through-the-ages/

here you go
He used super ludwig (COB) 5x14 through 50's and 60's
But take a look on photo(s) from 1959 Time Out sessions. Toms are classic (13,16) but the bass is 14x20.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
That was great! Time Out was the first jazz album I bought and Morello is my favorite jazz drummer and in my top 5 overall. He always played so tastefully and melodically.

Is that ride a 22"? And me being pedantic, there were technically two other cymbals on the recording: his hi hats :)

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
snurf said:
... take a look on photo(s) from 1959 Time Out sessions. Toms are classic (13,16) but the bass is 14x20.
That's cool, I didn't notice this before.

The ride is 20" plus. The specs are in the yt descirption

Joe Morello's "Take Five" Cymbal Specs: Weight: 2192 grams Size: 20 1/8" (51cm) Model/Stamp: 1950's Zildjian Small Stamp "B"

devinw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very cool, thanks for sharing! I'm a big Morello fan. His touch and technique is....remarkable.