Joe Morello

wflrgr8

Reaction score
In observance of Joe's birthday today, I've been listening to the DBQ at Carnegie Hall CD. His playing on Bossa Nova USA is, arguably, his most innovative performance on record. Argue?

RogerSling

Reaction score
Joe is one of my favorite drummers ... ever.
I love his playing on the CDs "331 Near Myth" and "Time Changes".
Absolute stunners.

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
bigbonzo said:
Mine, too. Don't tell anyone here, but (whispering) I like him better than BR...
I'll add Louie Bellson. Let's start a list of drummers we like better than BR.
IMHO, Buddy was a show drummer.... fantastic to watch, but close your eyes and it gets real bland. Especially next to Krupa.

Joe Morello will always be a hero to me. Love his playing, and choice in sounds.

-Ryan

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I hate comparing drummers - they are all so very different, and inspiring in their own ways. As for Joe Morello - I could listen to Take 5 a million times and learn something new every time. And thats just the tip of the iceberg! Buddy....well he is just the greatest natural talent I have ever seen.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, the album notes say that the Carnegie Hall performance came at the end of a European tour. They were all dog tired and Joe had a fever. My favorite on the album is Blue Rondo ala Turk which is played at a breakneck pace, but yet it swings.

Asher

Reaction score
I just recently learned that Morello (with Eugene Wright on bass) played on Simon and Garfunkel's "The 59th Street Bridge Song". Never knew that!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
If I had to pick just one of my drumming heros to listen to for the rest of my days Joe would be the man (Louie would be a close second). I just love listening to everything he did.

If you're looking for some fresh Joe you may not have heard before check out Hank Garland's Move! compilation CD which includes all the tracks off the out of print "Jazz Winds" album which Joe played drums on. I don't recall there being any drum solos but it's still unmistakeably Joe on drums (and Gary Burton on vibes).

http://www.amazon.com/Move-Guitar-Artistry-Hank-Garland/dp/B00005B7RS/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1374088513&sr=1-1&keywords=hank+garland

JohnL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Finesse, dynamics, creativity, skill, soul, heart the most well rounded drummer I've ever seen one of the best. First time I saw him live I was just getting started with my drumming. It was a benefit concert in a local high school. Sat on the stage about three feet away from him, a little to the back and on his right side could see all he did. What a view I had. I was in heaven.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
K.O. said:
If you're looking for some fresh Joe you may not have heard before check out Hank Garland's Move! compilation CD which includes all the tracks off the out of print "Jazz Winds" album which Joe played drums on. I don't recall there being any drum solos but it's still unmistakeably Joe on drums (and Gary Burton on vibes).

http://www.amazon.com/Move-Guitar-Artistry-Hank-Garland/dp/B00005B7RS/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1374088513&sr=1-1&keywords=hank+garland
Oh, man, a lot of people don't know about that record. Hank Garland was a Nashville studio guy and one hell of a jazz guitarist. Joe's playing is really interesting. It's nice to hear him in a different context than Brubeck.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
One of the tastiest, if not the tastiest drummer around. Big band, trio, or in between - he made it swing. His big band work on the LPs "It's About Time" and "Dick Schory On Tour" is outstanding. They're among my most prized possessions. That reminds me, I've got to transfer them to digital as soon as I can get around to it.