Joe Morrelo book

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with this book, it was out of print for years written in 1967. I've just got it and am starting to go through it. Like his other books it is influenced by stick control of which I get a lot out of.image.jpg

john14

Reaction score
Great book! Most of it is way beyond me! But I love Joe's playing, musicality and technique! So I work from this book but I have a long, long way to go!

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
I may have this in my collection. Now I'll have to look through my old instruction books.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you know what? I'm sure I'm seeing an improvement in the 'creative' side or in general, of my playing already, in a sublime way. So Iam definately crossing my fingers. This book is of use to any type/style of drummer. I'm at the 7 stroke roll part, in which you play that, but in a continuous flow of 8ths or triplets! and around the kit. I think the hardest thing is when I start being aware ( more so) of the 7 stroke within the continuous flow of notes (or the 5 or 9 stroke). Or maybe I should do that!!?

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bump! Well just saying, - update, I'm coming up to the last few pages of this great study-practice book. Have to say it's the best jazz study drumming book I've 'done' so far, and it can apply to any style very well, as says John Riley at beginning of book. This is now my official number 1 drum 'bible' I'm going to keep going back to the beginning over and over....just like I did with 'stick control' which is also a 'bible' of drumming.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice to hear the playing/practice improvement updates!

Latest posts