Joel Stevenett Tribute: Cornelius "Neil" Peart

Brian2020

Reaction score
The Joel Stevenett Tribute Video on youtube.com, RUSH R40 - A Tribute to Neil Peart by PAISTE Artist Joel Stevenett feat. Signature Cymbals! THE Tribute Cornelius "Neil" Peart Video of 2016 was not long after "Neil" retired with RUSH during 2015. The Joel Stevenett video, and others of "Neil" Peart RUSH Performances... THE Tribute Drummer, THE Drummer to continue RUSH if Joel Stevenett, and Geddy and Alex, older, would continue RUSH! The Joel Stevenett Performance Techniques, and Sound... exactly like watching and listening to the late, great Cornelius "Neil" Peart of RUSH fame... Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! Enjoy! ..."Good Luck"!

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No can sound “ exactly “ like someone else . Take your nonsense elsewhere!!

Brian2020

Reaction score
"Houndog", if you meant to write, "No one can sound exactly like someone else.", you are incorrect: look at- and listen to precision drummers of THE drum corps of the World. Members of THE drum lines very, very often, more often than not, certainly do sound exactly alike when necessary during their Performances. ...and, many, many other drum line members in school marching bands before they become older, become Professional, many Military, drum line members, sound very, very similar. No nonsense. "Houndog": No need for such a hostile reply. Show respect for Forum Rules and Forum Posters for a FUN environment, not a hostile environment, to say the least.

Brian2020

Reaction score
The Joel Stevenett Cornelius "Neil" Peart Tribute Video on youtube.com would be THE Winning Audition to continue RUSH, if RUSH would continue, if Joel Stevenett would continue. Enjoy the video!

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Joel Stevenett Cornelius "Neil" Peart Tribute Video on youtube.com would be THE Winning Audition to continue RUSH, if RUSH would continue, if Joel Stevenett would continue. Enjoy the video!
oh geez whatever ...

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Admittedly, I did not watch the tribute video. I've seen a million drummers play Rush over the decades, and I'm sure he does a fine job. Rush is finished as a band though. They were finished when Peart retired, and they will not be going out on the road, or recording under the name Rush with a different drummer. It's been said a million times by Lifeson and Lee and there's no reason to believe otherwise.

Not trying to be a jerk, but your post would be nice "as info" regarding the tribute performance, but it sounds like you are lobbying for something that will never happen. Might you perhaps be Joel Stevenett??? :)

Brian2020

Reaction score
Admittedly, I did not watch the tribute video. I've seen a million drummers play Rush over the decades, and I'm sure he does a fine job. Rush is finished as a band though. They were finished when Peart retired, and they will not be going out on the road, or recording under the name Rush with a different drummer. It's been said a million times by Lifeson and Lee and there's no reason to believe otherwise.

Not trying to be a jerk, but your post would be nice "as info" regarding the tribute performance, but it sounds like you are lobbying for something that will never happen. Might you perhaps be Joel Stevenett??? :)
As you see, I respectfully wrote, "if RUSH would continue, if Joel Stevenett would continue... with respect to them as elders, to be polite... we have seen, as we have heard, many, many comments from RUSH about retirement. I really went to my first - of three - RUSH shows, the Exit Stage Left show at the Meadowlands Arena, and Geddy Lee said RUSH was ready to retire... he was serious. The whole crowd booed! I realized they earned at least a few million USD, U.S. Dollars, each over the years of 200+ performances annually... and, yes, RUSH was quoted in interviews about 200+ RUSH concert performances annually! As for Joel Stevenett, Joel Stevenett is a Canadian, a member of a Party Band. As you see, Joel is older, too, and would probably not even consider a tour with RUSH. ...perhaps Canadian shorter RUSH concerts with Joel Stevenett for support of a new RUSH album with Joel Stevenett would be cool... only a day dream! ...any way, as AWESOME as Joel Stevenett is, I am sure not if he could keep up with alll of the old impromptu Alex and Geddy awesome new arrangements of RUSH songs during live concert performances! I still laugh when I watch RUSH look at each other and smile at each other, sometimes start to laugh at each other, during live performances of new arrangements with even more technically demanding time signatures, to say the least!

Brian2020

Reaction score
Every thread this Brian2020 guy has started about Neil has been ,lets say "idiotic" ....
Whats with the Cornelious biz anyway ? Can't wait to hear your absurd reply .
"Neil" Peart was named Cornelius Ellwood Peart. ...my writings, as you see, are respectful of the late, great Percussionist and often thought-provocative lyricist, to say the least, the often self-described "Working Man", "Neil" Peart. ..."Houndog", you would do better to abide by Forum Rules and Forum Posters for a FUN environment, to say the least!

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cornelius ?? I have never seen Neil referred to as this . Not doubting you , just never seen him referred to as this

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Furthermore , there is absolutely no way on earth Rush ever plays another note of music as a band ....
To even suggest a possibility is ridiculous at best ....

Your buddy “ Joel “ can go kick rocks .

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Joel Stevenett Tribute Video on youtube.com, RUSH R40 - A Tribute to Neil Peart by PAISTE Artist Joel Stevenett feat. Signature Cymbals! THE Tribute Cornelius "Neil" Peart Video of 2016 was not long after "Neil" retired with RUSH during 2015. The Joel Stevenett video, and others of "Neil" Peart RUSH Performances... THE Tribute Drummer, THE Drummer to continue RUSH if Joel Stevenett, and Geddy and Alex, older, would continue RUSH! The Joel Stevenett Performance Techniques, and Sound... exactly like watching and listening to the late, great Cornelius "Neil" Peart of RUSH fame... Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! Enjoy! ..."Good Luck"!
- I think it's great if someone can grasp and duplicate what someone else did, particularly challenging tunes. That's great for the practice room or maybe a music school recital. However, why would anyone want to see a copy, when we can see the original on YT any time I want?

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think that nearly everyone in Internet Land with two hands and a keyboard has a theory about who could take over the drum chair, like it's a job opening. A similar thing happened 40 years ago when Bonham passed. Even if a Rush reunion were to happen(and I believe that Alex in particular has a form of arthritis), the drummer who would even dare to sit in that chair would get mercilessly raked over the coals by rabid fans. It would be brutal, and I don't know if anyone would be up for the abuse.

And, I think a lot of times, some people forget that Neil was the lyricist, too, so just being able to play Side 1 of Moving Pictures flawlessly doesn't get you the job, IMO. And, just because one can play a part does not mean one could have written it, either.

It's sad that he's gone. He and Rush did great work, but their time is done. The speculation is pointless, in my opinion. I'm gonna go listen to Hemispheres.

Dan

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy who's the topic of this thread uses Paiste Signature cymbals, which are just the wrong thing for this kind of tribute. Way too glassy to sound like Peart.

This guy, on the other hand, gets pretty much everything right except Geddy's voice. Like, everything. And he gets Geddy's voice better than any of the tribute bands I've heard of. It's a real tour de force.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I Googled Cornelius Neil Peart and came up with several references that agreed with each other. Apparently he was born Cornelius Ellwood Peart, and Neil was what he went by. I had never heard of it either before now. I have a hard time seeing anyone but Neil playing under the Rush name, but I would have no problem seeing Geddy and Alex joining with someone else to create more good music. Thanks for posting that name - I learned something new about one of my favorite and most influential drummers.

Here's a link to one of the name sources I found, and I assume it's fairly accurate since it agreed with some others on that subject: https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/neil-peart-5019.php