Joey Kramer

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know what particular health issues Joey Kramer has, but he has needed hospitalization recently. Considering how seasoned drummers, even ones that are 15 years younger than him, have literally died (ie. Nick Menza) mid show, I don't want to bash the rest of Aerosmith for thinking Joey may not be the best guy for this next round of performances.

I mean, what would you prefer 1) using your 70 year old drummer with health issues and possibly having him die on stage, or 2) using a younger drummer who knows the songs in and out and having the performances go without a hitch?

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I mean, what would you prefer 1) using your 70 year old drummer with health issues and possibly having him die on stage, or .....?
actually it was Joe Perry recently who had a heart attack on stage....he and Tyler are the same if not bigger risks for what you speak of

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
They recorded it on their "Honkin' on Bobo" album of covers.
Yes but with all those fine Aerosmith songs to choose from.......I would think Aerosmith fans want to hear Aerosmith music
myself included.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
His backup is a pro. He's been teching and touring for years with Aerosmith, Van Halen and ZZ Top. And it's Aerosmith... it's not like he's stepping in for Peart all of a sudden. Kramer's great, but it's just rock and roll.
I look at it like I did with Cheap Trick. No Bun, no Fun. No Joey, No 'Smith.

Hell, Joey came up with the name and original logo.

joeldrummer

Reaction score
Nothing new here.
The animosity was there when we opened for them 16-18 years back.
Steven would hop up on my kit at soundcheck and make snide comments about Joey's kit.
As for Joey, he sounded fricken great on the shows.
The click track crap made an appearance mid tour when a television network came out to shoot footage.
Steven wanted it on certain songs and Joey thought it was BS.
Bun I am so glad to hear your take on this. I haven't been on this forum in 10 years but this subject really winds me up. I listened to some clips with 2018 Joey and then the tech on drums from Vegas and it is certainly not the same groove. There is a huge difference. I hope Joey gets back to full power because, like you Bun- he is not replacable.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Although I regard Steve Smith as one of the all time greats . It just seems to me that he doesn't have a signature style /sound like some other classic rock drummers have .
Disagree. He is the king of rock ballads and whether you like the song or not, you cannot get much more of a signature part than that of Don’t Stop Believing.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Journey seemed to do just fine without Steve Perry and I would argue he was more important to that band than Steve Smith is.
Let’s be honest, very few of us are irreplaceable and a lot of that has to do with the respect our band members give to their band members.

His backup is a pro. He's been teching and touring for years with Aerosmith, Van Halen and ZZ Top. And it's Aerosmith... it's not like he's stepping in for Peart all of a sudden. Kramer's great, but it's just rock and roll.
Joey’s son even did a few sit in shows.

tripp2k

Reaction score
Full stop. This is exactly a money grab. The positioning of the band looks exactly like legally authorized HR positioning when wanting to run someone off. I have experience in that department with legal coaching before it became common to wait for the next company-wide purge. I hope he has his affairs in order and I also think it’s a travesty that the two leaders who have had a long history of paid underperformance are now bouncing a mate.

Latest posts