John Bonham 40th anniversary of his death/passing.

Ludwig26

Reaction score
Unless i'm very much mistaken?,
NONE of the leading drum magazines inc "the world's most read drum magazine",
MD, Drum magazine etc,
Have done a 40th anniversary tribute special to the great&late John Henry"Bonzo" Bonham,
I'll be playing non-stop until 11.59pm this forthcoming friday Led Zeppelin&watching Zepp blu-rayS.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bonzo passed on the 25th, so you're not wrong.
Thanks for calling attention to this.
His birthday ( 05/31/48 ) should be a national holiday for all drummers.

Elvis

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
I love Bonzo as much or more than anyone. I was two years away from picking up sticks when he passed. Since I discovered his voice, September 25th is a sad day of thinking what would he have done? Who would he have made records with? Lots of unanswered questions pop up. I think Zep would have fizzled. Who can say though because we didn't get that chance to see if he more magic to give. All we can do is enjoy & glean the volume of work he did leave us. The combination of gifts he had have been imitated ad nauseam but never replicated. He was a special player. It's hard to believe it's been 40 years. His influence to me was a huge one. I loved his sound. That is the thing no one can seem to get 100% & I'm glad. No one plays like him either. I'm not that into Zep these days but I still love his beats and his sound.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not morbid to celebrate death-aversaries? #Addamsfamily #Fourdaysearly.
A little, but as human beings, we do it all the time.
What I don't understand is why can't we celebrate his birth?
If he wasn't born in the first place, none of this would've happened!

Elvis

Last edited:

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I love Bonzo as much or more than anyone. I was two years away from picking up sticks when he passed. Since I discovered his voice, September 25th is a sad day of thinking what would he have done? Who would he have made records with? Lots of unanswered questions pop up. I think Zep would have fizzled. Who can say though because we didn't get that chance to see if he more magic to give. All we can do is enjoy & glean the volume of work he did leave us. The combination of gifts he had have been imitated ad nauseam but never replicated. He was a special player. It's hard to believe it's been 40 years. His influence to me was a huge one. I loved his sound. That is the thing no one can seem to get 100% & I'm glad. No one plays like him either. I'm not that into Zep these days but I still love his beats and his sound.
It’s funny about his sound as you say. Everyone tries to replicate his equipment, mic placement, room, etc., but it mostly comes down to touch.

I took lessons with Danny Seraphine, Kenny Aronoff and Dave Garibaldi Donn Bennett’s in Washington. All lesson were on the same budget kit and cymbals. Guess what? They sounded like themselves!!!!