John Bonham's Top 5 Drummers! Buddy Rich? Ringo? Meytal?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
From the UK's Faroutmagazine.co.uk
John Bonham’s 5 favourite drummers of all time

“I’ve always been obsessed with drums. They fascinate me. Any other instrument – nothing.”—John Bonham

If you were to sit down at your local watering hole and discuss who is the greatest drummer of all time we’d be pretty damn surprised if John Bonham, the powerhouse juggernaut that sat behind Led Zeppelin, wasn’t at least near the very top.

The drummer has become synonymous with his instrument as Hendrix has to the guitar. A virtuoso player, Bonham has been championed as one of the most powerful men to sit behind the kit. That’s not all though, Hendrix once accurately described Bonham to his singer Robert Plant in A Thunder of Drums: “That drummer of yours has a right foot like a pair of castanets!”

Assuming then that Bonham is one of, if not the greatest drummer of all time we got curious about who would be considered his favourite percussionists. While Bonham never necessarily claimed these to be his favourite in writing, the drummer was an avid listener and admirer of all five—all for different reasons.

Looking across the board we’d say there were upwards of 10 players that Bonham highly rated which included Barriemore Barlow, Bernard Purdie, Alphonse Mouzon, Joe Morello and Simon Kirke, but the below five, we think, would be his top picks.

Continued: https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/john-bonham-led-zeppelin-5-favourite-drummers-of-all-time/

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Absolutely hilarious! You can't make this stuff up.

Editor: " I need a drum column for our next publication"
"Writer": (thinking to self) "I've already done Top 50, Top 10 and Top 5 drummers....Oh wait, I got it! Who do I think John Bonham would think were his favorite drummers, if John were alive to think about such things. GENIUS!"

Best line: "While Bonham never necessarily claimed these to be his favourite in writing"

Seriously, you'd get a "D" in 6th grade for turning in this paper.

nk126

Reaction score
Seriously, you'd get a "D" in 6th grade for turning in this paper.
Which means you'd get an A+ and promotion for running it on social media :director:

Next week: Buddy Rich's Top 5 Country Drummers if he liked country music, which well, you know, and if he was still alive to list them out, which, uh, you know ...

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Which means you'd get an A+ and promotion for running it on social media :director:

Next week: Buddy Rich's Top 5 Country Drummers if he liked country music, which well, you know, and if he was still alive to list them out, which, uh, you know ...
If he wasn't allergic... :)

Dan

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From the UK's Faroutmagazine.co.uk
John Bonham’s 5 favourite drummers of all time

“I’ve always been obsessed with drums. They fascinate me. Any other instrument – nothing.”—John Bonham

If you were to sit down at your local watering hole and discuss who is the greatest drummer of all time we’d be pretty damn surprised if John Bonham, the powerhouse juggernaut that sat behind Led Zeppelin, wasn’t at least near the very top.

The drummer has become synonymous with his instrument as Hendrix has to the guitar. A virtuoso player, Bonham has been championed as one of the most powerful men to sit behind the kit. That’s not all though, Hendrix once accurately described Bonham to his singer Robert Plant in A Thunder of Drums: “That drummer of yours has a right foot like a pair of castanets!”

Assuming then that Bonham is one of, if not the greatest drummer of all time we got curious about who would be considered his favourite percussionists. While Bonham never necessarily claimed these to be his favourite in writing, the drummer was an avid listener and admirer of all five—all for different reasons.

Looking across the board we’d say there were upwards of 10 players that Bonham highly rated which included Barriemore Barlow, Bernard Purdie, Alphonse Mouzon, Joe Morello and Simon Kirke, but the below five, we think, would be his top picks.

Continued: https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/john-bonham-led-zeppelin-5-favourite-drummers-of-all-time/
I think I heard he once he said bonzoleum. He was fascinated by the clever name

Obiwandrumobe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bonham reportedly thought Baker was IT.

Commence flaming.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Dont be to hasty with the snark. Charlie Parker loved country music.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bonham also liked the drummer for Lee Michaels...'Frosty (Bartholomew Eugene Smith-Frost).

nk126

Reaction score
Dont be to hasty with the snark. Charlie Parker loved country music.
My snark is not at all directed against country music ... It's a more complex blend of jabbing at lazy journalists, social media, and Buddy's many quips and quotes :)

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I recall an episode of Pawn Stars, where a guy brought in a pick-up truck load of Sammy Davis Jr's collection of VCR tapes. Sammy wasn't actually acting in any of them. They were just movies that belonged to him when he was alive. He watched them like anyone else. Rick from Pawn Stars said that they were not worth anymore than any other VCR tape. 50 cents each

I guess Buddy Rich's copy of "Wizard of Oz" isn't worth any more than my wife's copy.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I recall an episode of Pawn Stars, where a guy brought in a pick-up truck load of Sammy Davis Jr's collection of VCR tapes. Sammy wasn't actually acting in any of them. They were just movies that belonged to him when he was alive. He watched them like anyone else. Rick from Pawn Stars said that they were not worth anymore than any other VCR tape. 50 cents each

I guess Buddy Rich's copy of "Wizard of Oz" isn't worth any more than my wife's copy.
I don’t remember “Rick from Pawn Stars” being appointed the Czar of Appraisals of All Things.

Isn’t his job to pay out the least amount possible?