John Henry Bonham

MetalDoucheRuddfan1223

Reaction score
The Most Beloved Drummer of them all And the greatest Overall no other drummer Grooved as Hard as Bonzo And no drummer can ever Play those types of Fills as Solid as Him A True Master of the Craft!

John Bonham was the Stepping stone on Drums If you cant Jam to Zepp your not ready yet!

PJD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's another fun one from just before his death. Played a track on Roy Wood's Album. It's so unmistakably him and so strange to hear him without JPJ on bass.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
he was a little limited; if he knew notation he could have taken it further I hear him running into (his own personal) roadblocks technique-wise. He had it in him to take it further. Just never had the chance to go further. Sure liked big drums. And could handle them.
That's probably the best (the below vid) expose' of Him in a solo setting ever..
Big but few - drums was a key plus his strength.
I've never heard a solo that long and detailed by him. Wow.

You see he could of went over into a world of polyrhythms cross-accents just never had the chance So it doesn't stop there here for those looking to carry-on his tradition (not me..you! (lol

I play a softer lounge-jazz version----(ha
But I remember him
~
Sort of (he was) what Tony Williams was to Jazz
He (John Bonham) was to Rock.
He (they both) busted thru the boundaries..

Of course Elvin Jones could enlighten them both with something rhythmically (if Elvin could explain it!) but that's another world (seemingly effortlessly, Elvin went into 9's. quarter-note triplet triplets) solo-wise
but notationally-speaking, an extension is what all three were doing- pushing rhythmic boundaries...

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
notationally-speaking
there's a point where I think "all drummers" like Elvin, Tony, Bonham want to get when soloing and that's circular rhythm. Elvin got the closest and achieved it I think. Circular rhythm, If you know circular- breathing on a horn it's the same ...but applied to drums. Where beginning and end don't exist only motion. Constant-motion, once in it- with neither end nor beginning.
Sort of like galaxies spinning around a sun

Last edited:

owr

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look, I love Bonham as much as most, and came up on him in my formative years as a primary influence. When we were 12 in junior high school band all the drummers fell into one of two groups: "Bonham is king" or "Peart is king". We had a cassette tape that was just Good Times Bad Times over and over again, I'll hear it in my head in my grave. It was a big evolution for me around age 13-14 to start leaning in heavy to Copeland - I was so original...

But in JDAs defense, and as adults here, I think its fair to question how much more he could have done and developed had he not died at 28 and not tow the party line that he was the greatest living drummer of all time (if that even means anything). I think its fair to say that he has probably influenced more drummers than just about anyone, but thats about as far as I would push it.

Im no JB scholar, but know he did love jazz and Elvin, and have always wondered if this was a big motivation for Moby Dick (recorded when JB was 16):

Morello Man

Reaction score
I saw an early Zep DVD, black & white, excellent audio/visual and Bonzo unleashed one of the greatest drum solos I’ve ever heard and, certainly from a rock standpoint (I’m a lifelong jazz player), the greatest rock - oriented one and relevant to the song that was being played. I’ve seen a YouTube of him, concert footage where he seems almost lost, trying combinations of licks that border on monotony and instead of wrapping up the solo, continues into rabbit holes - not the first nor last drummer to do that. Maybe just an off night or did he get to a point of just repeating himself? It happens.