John Poole drum solo 1966

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I found out about these two after reading 'high times'hard times' about Anita O'Day. It was my mums - she used to sing with a local big band. . Then heard them on YouTube. Aparently they were always high on heroin! What an awsome 'highbrow' player he is, very fast tempo too. Thanks for posting.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Love them both, they made an epic team. They were one of those natural pairings where he always anticipates and complements what she’s doing at the mic and they feed off each other. She’s gotta be one of the top five female jazz vocalists of all time, and maybe the swingingest chick ever. Turns out Anita was a drummer herself, which accounts for some of their psychic musical connection. She could sing very percussively too, super fast scat and improvised riffs and stuff.
(In the unlikely event that you haven’t seen it, her performance at the ‘58 Newport jazz festival is pure gold, she is simply captivating)

Also, John’s wife wrote a book about his and Anitas ‘adventures’ on the road as touring musicians.

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love them both, they made an epic team. They were one of those natural pairings where he always anticipates and complements what she’s doing at the mic and they feed off each other. She’s gotta be one of the top five female jazz vocalists of all time, and maybe the swingingest chick ever. Turns out Anita was a drummer herself, which accounts for some of their psychic musical connection. She could sing very percussively too, super fast scat and improvised riffs and stuff.
(In the unlikely event that you haven’t seen it, her performance at the ‘58 Newport jazz festival is pure gold, she is simply captivating)

Also, John’s wife wrote a book about his and Anitas ‘adventures’ on the road as touring musicians.
Agreed. Sadly Anita’s name rarely comes up when talk turns to legendary Jazz vocalists. Most of the younger female jazz vocalists I work with haven’t heard of her either. Her version of “A Nightingale sang in Berkeley Square” brings tears to my eyes.

Last edited:

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Drumbumcrumb,
What was the title of that book?
Jazz, Jail, and Genius (Poole)

A couple trivia -

Anita got started with Gene Krupa, spent her first 5 years or so with him. (The drumming theme is a constant in her life - she was the ‘drummers vocalist’)

She credits her quick, percussive singing style to a botched tonsillectomy as a kid - they accidentally removed her uvula (aka punching bag), which left her unable to do any kind of the typical vibrato crooning. And maybe lent her some of that raspy rawness we love.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Agreed. Sadly Anita’s name rarely comes up when talk turns to legendary Jazz vocalists. Most of the younger female jazz vocalists I work with haven’t heard of her either. Her version of “A Nightingale sang in Berkeley Square” brings tears to my eyes.
I know, it’s so odd that she’s not more well known (or at least more revered). I wonder if she was a little too independent for the times, or maybe her drug use made her unsuited for the role of legend. For me, her lifestyle makes her more amazing. She survived heroin, got clean, and lived to a ripe old age.

For my money, she’s as good as any female jazzer ever... Her style is more contemporary and relevant than some of the bigger, better remembered names. Gimme some Anita and some Nina, and I’m good.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A true one-off - what a life. Her book's a great read.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Poole was a dead-ringer for U.S. Chief Justice John Roberts?