John Siomos & His Dark Green Ludwigs

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
John has alWAYs been a favorite of mine. He had such a great funky swing to his playing. Check out the mic on the bass drum!

sixjune1944

Reaction score
John Siomos is one of my all-time favorite drummers, and a guy you NEVER hear about. I understand he passed away in 2004--what a shame. It's almost impossible to find photos of his drums, and I always wondered what color his Luddies were--I always thought they were black! Would love to see more on this great drummer. Even Frampton was trying to track him down at the time of his passing. Thanks DolFan54 for posting this!

Nick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love John Siomos drumming

that green Ludwig kit was on ebay around 2001 even came with Frampton road cases, I had the auction saved on a old disc but lost it years ago

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
Love John Siomos drumming

that green Ludwig kit was on ebay around 2001 even came with Frampton road cases, I had the auction saved on a old disc but lost it years ago
Had I known I would have put a serious offer on that kit!

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
John Siomos is one of my all-time favorite drummers, and a guy you NEVER hear about. I understand he passed away in 2004--what a shame. It's almost impossible to find photos of his drums, and I always wondered what color his Luddies were--I always thought they were black! Would love to see more on this great drummer. Even Frampton was trying to track him down at the time of his passing. Thanks DolFan54 for posting this!
John quit the business around '79 when he was never properly paid for Frampton Comes Alive. He became an EMT in New York. His co-workers never even knew he was the same guy that was on the biggest selling live album of all time.

I chatted a bit with his wife Barbara after John's death through emails. She told me 2 things I never knew about John. He was the drummer on the very first Carly Simon album and he was the drummer on Hello It's Me by Todd Rundgren.

I also thought they were black for years until I got ahold of a bootleg DVD where you can clearly see the dark green tint.

madchops82

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure a good portion of "Frampton Comes Alive" was recorded in my hometown of Plattsburgh, NY

TomN

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He was also the drummer on Buzzy Linhart's first two albums. I couldn't a decent recording of my favorite song Buzzy song (That's the bag I'm In), but here's my second favorite:

Last edited by a moderator:

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I was a rabid Rundgren fan back in the day and that's where I became acquainted with John Siomos. Great drummer. Didn't realize he got screwed by Frampton.

tamadrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
He really wasn't screwed by Frampton himself.Nobody in the band was paid properly including Frampton.It seems like so many other acts of the day,like Billy Joel,CCR,Grand Funk,that management fraud was responsible for money dissapearing.Siomos also co-wrote the tune you're listening to now.

Frampton should have been set for life at the very least.

And yes I to thought they were black till they showed up on ebay

Steve B

PaiceFan

Reaction score
Always liked John's playing. I know he came from Sunset Park Brooklyn. Very close to where I grew up. Thats a sad story. It's another tale of those that have the talent never see what they deserve. P.S. I always thought his kit was black.

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
Is that kick a 26? I always thought that his kick had a very Bonhamesque sound when he played with Frampton. I always liked his playing on "Show Me the Way," didn't realize that he played on "Hello, It's Me." That's one of my favorite drum tracks.

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
Is that kick a 26? I always thought that his kick had a very Bonhamesque sound when he played with Frampton. I always liked his playing on "Show Me the Way," didn't realize that he played on "Hello, It's Me." That's one of my favorite drum tracks.
Here's another clip of Show Me The Way from '75. This clip shows a lot more of John and his kit. If you pause it near the end of the song it sure looks like a 26" bass drum to me.

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's another song from the Midnight Special... notice he has another snare set up off to the side. Did he swap between a 5x14 and a 6.5x14 between songs?

And yes, unfortunately John passed away January 16, 2004 at the age of 56. :-(

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
He did tour for the I'm In You album but left sometime shortly after.

[media]
[/media]

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He did tour for the I'm In You album but left sometime shortly after.

[media]
[/media]
Notice a white Rogers kit in the background at 0:43. Unfortunately John's nowhere to be seen, but that is definitely him playing on the song.

Latest posts