John Siomos & His Dark Green Ludwigs

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
As promised I would post pics of what I bought from Judah Siomos, son of John Siomos. The two items I purchased were a custom snare and an original ching-ring.

The ching-ring looks to be original and could very well be the actual one I've seen in videos of John playing with Peter Frampton back in the 1970's.

The snare drum is not what we think of today as far as a custom drum. The shell appears to be a late sixties/ seventies Gretsch 6 ply shell. The only thing I can see that is different is that the drum was drilled for a Rogers strainer & butt plate. The plaque reads "Custom Built For John Siomos by Paul Jamieson". At the bottom it gives the date 12-76 and the number 003.

I did some research on Paul Jamison and what I was able to come up with was that he is a drum cartage company and he did these snare drums on the side. At some point he started using Radio King shells and gave the drum a sunburst finish. It also appears that all the work was actually done by a very young at the time Pat Foley.

Originally I was going to display the drum as is but there is far too much corrosion on the hardware and collar hoops to let it go. So I will be cleaning it up a bit and giving it new heads and wires. Since it has a Ludwig silver dot on the batter I'm going to replace it with the same.

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Found this cool side shot of the drums... bass appears to be a 24. Also at this time (76) a 5x14 Supraphonic was his choce of snare.
Also notice the granitone interior on his concert tom... wonder if the rest of the drums had granite interiors?

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw Frampton on the "I'm In You" tour at Cleveland Stadium as part of a World Series of Rock show. I was really excited for this show, as (like most of you) I had memorized "Frampton Comes Alive".

Boy was I disappointed when Peter announced that John was ill, and Joe Vitale would be filling in. Nothing against Joe, but he didn't play any of the same fills, or with the same feel, as John did on that classic album.

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
I got a message thru FB today from Peter. He wants to contact me thru email about the drum. I'm hoping he has pictures to share. My buddy thinks he probably wants to buy the drum off me.LOL

trixonian

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree you should give careful consideration to how much cleaning you do. Personally I might do nothing, or I might just wipe everything down. Also, unless you're playing it why change the heads?

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
trixonian said:
I agree you should give careful consideration to how much cleaning you do. Personally I might do nothing, or I might just wipe everything down. Also, unless you're playing it why change the heads?
I'm putting the heads and wires aWAY. There is just so much corrosion on them. I'm only cleaning NOT restoring!

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered here before, but was that dark green finish a stock color, or was it a special order made for John at the time? Btw, ALWAYS loved John's playing--so fluid and musical. He was the perfect guy for Peter's music for sure. John, you are missed.....

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DolFan54 said:
I'm pretty sure that was custom for John. It's the only one I know of.
Hmmm... I always thought it was green sparkle under dark lighting.

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wonder if it was a lacquer job, or maybe a one-on one-off "Green Cortex" perhaps?

ludwignut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is an uncatalogued Green Cortex .I saw one at jacks Drum Shop in Boston in the mid 90s . I have been looking for one ever since but they are elusive .

Rob

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
ludwignut said:
That is an uncatalogued Green Cortex .I saw one at jacks Drum Shop in Boston in the mid 90s . I have been looking for one ever since but they are elusive .

Rob
Cool... learn something new every day.

I guess if one wanted to wrap their drums in the same color it appears to be Formica #967 "Hunter Green".

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
Here the drum is in it's new resting place on top of my snare drum cabinet. I had to clean this one as much as I wish I could've just placed it from the box to the shelf. I left all the battle scars and the dirt that is deep into the shell. I basically just gave her a bath! There was so much corrosion on the collar hoops that I needed to replace the heads. The wires also needed replacing as they were bent far beyond their means.

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DolFan54 said:
Here the drum is in it's new resting place on top of my snare drum cabinet. I had to clean this one as much as I wish I could've just placed it from the box to the shelf. I left all the battle scars and the dirt that is deep into the shell. I basically just gave her a bath! There was so much corrosion on the collar hoops that I needed to replace the heads. The wires also needed replacing as they were bent far beyond their means.

Looks a lot better IMHO. I don't know if this was ever mentioned... but is this a 5 or 6.5 inch snare?

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very cool piece of history to have.

I vaguely recall hearing of Paul Jamieson before. I think there was an article about him in an early issue of MD talking about providing drums to LA area studios and the mods he would do on vintage drums to make them "studio ready".

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but shat became of the Peter Frampton/fb interaction??

Latest posts