John Siomos & His Dark Green Ludwigs

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I always loved the drum sound, as well as the playing, on Frampton Comes Alive. Great stuff, thanks for posting this.

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Always liked his playing when I was a young drummer starting out. Sunset Park is just a few minutes from me.

Quite a career change from sought after Rock drummer to EMT!!!

Sonorholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Isn't that the guitar that went missing and then a few years ago, Peter got it back? I remember seeing something about that on TV and thought it was wonderful. I'm pretty sure it was the black Les Paul with triple pick ups. He's in town this week with the Doobies, maybe I'll get a chance to say hello!

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sonorholic said:
Isn't that the guitar that went missing and then a few years ago, Peter got it back? I remember seeing something about that on TV and thought it was wonderful. I'm pretty sure it was the black Les Paul with triple pick ups. He's in town this week with the Doobies, maybe I'll get a chance to say hello!
Yep.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/03/peter-frampton-reunited-with-best-guitar-after-31-years/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Ironically his other LP that was made by Gibson to replace that one was ruined in the Nashville floods a few years ago along with a lot of other classic guitars.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great thread. I just commented last week on John's cymbal sound on Frampton Comes Alive. To me, they were the epitome of what A. Zildjians should sound like... Many of Peter's subsequent drummers told me Peter was always looking for his drummers to recapture John's ride cymbal on Frampton Comes Alive.

I tried tracking John down when I worked at Zildjian - I would've loved to talk with him and hook him up with cymbals. I heard he was an EMT, but was never able to connect with him. I remember talking with Bobby Mayo about him shortly after John passed away.

FYI - Paul Jamieson (aka Jamo) was Jeff Porcaro's longtime drum tech and is highly respected in LA. I interacted with him during my time at DW in the 80s.

vintagedrumjunky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In March of 1976, Bill Graham put together a concert at Sun Devil Stadium in order to film live footage for a remake of "A Star is Born", featuring Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson. The line up for that day, was Graham Central Station, Montrose, Santana and Peter Frampton. My dad took me to see this, I was about 9, I remember it was on a Saturday, it was unusually hot that day, but we had a great time. Anyway, this video was filmed on that day...

Last edited by a moderator:

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Johnny D said:
Great thread. I just commented last week on John's cymbal sound on Frampton Comes Alive. To me, they were the epitome of what A. Zildjians should sound like... Many of Peter's subsequent drummers told me Peter was always looking for his drummers to recapture John's ride cymbal on Frampton Comes Alive.

I tried tracking John down when I worked at Zildjian - I would've loved to talk with him and hook him up with cymbals. I heard he was an EMT, but was never able to connect with him. I remember talking with Bobby Mayo about him shortly after John passed away.

FYI - Paul Jamieson (aka Jamo) was Jeff Porcaro's longtime drum tech and is highly respected in LA. I interacted with him during my time at DW in the 80s.
John, to me, is in the fairly rare catagory of drummers that were the PERFECT drummer for their given band. They don't necessarily have to be the origional drummer to fill that bill (i.e.Neil Peart), but often are. John joins my personal list along w/guys like Stan Lynch, Kenny Aronoff, Jeff Porcaro (& a few others) that were impossible to replace inho. He just "fit" Peter's musical vision so well!

Eyedrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Old thread but was listening to John play on Show Me the Way (live version) this morning. Great drum sounds, style and feel. The honk of his snare drum is just splendid. Does anyone know if that is an LM400?

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Eyedrum said:
Old thread but was listening to John play on Show Me the Way (live version) this morning. Great drum sounds, style and feel. The honk of his snare drum is just splendid. Does anyone know if that is an LM400?
Not sure about the snare specifics, but agree 100% on the comments. From an era when drums actually sounded like.....DRUMS!!

Way Out Wardell

Reaction score
I've been researching an early '60s Chicago band that led me to some of JS's early records.
He was playing with guys like Mike Bloomfield and Barry Goldberg and all those guys were in their early 20s at most...what talent!

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This could have been said here, but as I am too lazy to read through 4 pages of posts, let's not forget the tragedy that occurred. John Siomos was a very significant component to Frampton's sound. The story goes that he was really screwed by Frampton's then manager Dee Anthony who was known for his less then honest dealing with his clients, Steve Marriot of Humble Pie fame, to name one. JS quit the business and became an EMT in NYC for a number of years. He died of "natural causes" in 2004 ... very sad for a guy who I have always admired as an amazing drummer.

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The green Ludwig kit in March 1974, minus its bass drum reso head. Interior appears to natural maple?

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Eyedrum said:
Looking back at post #44, you would be correct!

ludwignut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have good pictures of these drums and does anyone know who owns them ??

Rob

croomz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What cymbals did John use for his time with Frampton? His ride cymbal always sticks out in my mind

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Such a tasteful drummer, always playing the perfect part, serving the song, uplifting the chorus, with a great touch and sound. Beautiful touch on the ride cymbal and I have a feeling that he could make every ride cymbal sound like that. Some people just have something extra special in their touch and mojo... JS had that in spades.