John Siomos & His Dark Green Ludwigs

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's some great footage of Siomos and the band at the famed 2 July 1977 Oakland Coliseum concert. At 19.58 Frampton himself takes over the kit. Check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
The more I re-examine Siomos playing with Frampton, the more I really love his playing. A truly gifted musician with a wonderful touch and feel behind the kit with great chops to boot. It is such a shame that the music business screwed him over so badly that he chose to drop out of music altogether and got into a different profession. I can't imagine anyone sounding better with Frampton. In my opinion, no one has ever sounded better with Frampton than Siomos. Fortunately, we have a few well documented moments in history captured for all time.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice pictures added. I know that there really isn't much out there chronicling John Siomos in terms of pictures. It's a sad story, really...He really got hosed as so many did in that era. A great player who also did quite a bit of high profile studio work as well, who never really made any money from all of that talent. Frampton's management screwed the band over big time and it eventually broke up that "Comes alive" band. They were a terrific outfit and he had the perfect ride cymbal with that out of this world bell! Thanks for adding the pictures.

Push22frets

Reaction score
Nice pictures added. I know that there really isn't much out there chronicling John Siomos in terms of pictures. It's a sad story, really...He really got hosed as so many did in that era. A great player who also did quite a bit of high profile studio work as well, who never really made any money from all of that talent. Frampton's management screwed the band over big time and it eventually broke up that "Comes alive" band. They were a terrific outfit and he had the perfect ride cymbal with that out of this world bell! Thanks for adding the pictures.
So I hear. Yes, a sad story. So much talent. I was searching out John’s kit online when I came across this thread. I was fortunate to attend the ‘76 FCA concert in Milwaukee Wisconsin when I was 16. A buddy and I skipped school for the day and drove from Naperville Illinois to Milwaukee to catch the show. I saw Frampton up on stage and that changed my life. Went home and bought a guitar from a kid down the street, got in a band and have been playing ever since. Lol. I always remembered John’s musicality, in service of the song, never over playing. His choice of placement was so tasty. I am considering a house kit for a studio room and was curious about his drum sizes. That started me on this search.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Count me in also as a fan of John's playing. This is also a great thread!
That finish on his Ludwig kit looks exactly the same color as Gretsch Cadillac Green.
More trivia - bassist Stanley Sheldon went back to school after the 80s at the University of Kansas and got his Master's degree in Latin American studies. A former work colleague would see him occasionally on campus, not knowing of his rock star past, but only knowing him as "Stan".

drumaniac

DFO Master
Reaction score
Saw them live in '77, J Geils opened when they were still a rocking/blues band, prior to Freeze Frame. Great double bill will never forget it!

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This was the one album everyone owned and played when I was in college. I've enjoyed looking at the photos posted of John's kit. It brings back fond memories. I was once waiting to get on a elevator in Rockefeller plaza when low and behold, Peter Frampton steps off with his entourage. He had just appeared on the Today Show. The girls in the lobby went wild, while I was struck by how short and skinny he was.

boonky

Reaction score
John Siomos was great!

Paul Jamieson? Isn't he the guy that ruined so many Radio Kings back in the 70's-80's?

Latest posts