John Siomos's drums are alive once again

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We attended Peter Frampton's show at Madison Square Garden last Fri night. Peter was speaking about his two favorite band mates that had passed away .. those being John Siomos and Bob Mayo. He spoke about his intial encounter with John while recording "Frampton's Camel". During a subsequent conversation after John agreed to join the group, Peter mentioned something about the condition of John's current kit and how beat up it was. Peter offered to buy him a new one ( that famed green one ). According to Frampton, that kit was seen on e-bay sometime back and Frampton purchased it "at a more expensive price for the second time". That kit must have gone through some tough times. Looks like the FTT legs are not original .. the other TT had it's mount removed and who knows what else but it was good to see them again .

Attachments

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
october 9th, seattle. i'll be there. can't wait.

frampton's greatest hits and a double humble pie encore - give the people what they want!

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
october 9th, seattle. i'll be there. can't wait.

frampton's greatest hits and a double humble pie encore - give the people what they want!
It was a really great show, to be sure. He's always opened with "Something's Happening", which was expected. As we sat through the first few songs, I wondered what his set would include. He has so much really great material. I was suprised that he performed "The Lodger" from his first album. Admittedly though, I wasn't thrilled with the three songs he did from the recently released blues album .. don't get me wrong .. I have the album and enjoy it but .. so for me the highlight was the encore ... Four Day Creep and Doctor .. it doesn't get any better than that ... He is a master musician and to see John's Siomos's kit up there was magical

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
he has been going back and forth between ''the lodger'' and ''fig tree bay'' in that spot on the set list. as a huge fan of his first solo album, either will be great to hear.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It was a really great show, to be sure. He's always opened with "Something's Happening", which was expected. As we sat through the first few songs, I wondered what his set would include. He has so much really great material. I was suprised that he performed "The Lodger" from his first album. Admittedly though, I wasn't thrilled with the three songs he did from the recently released blues album .. don't get me wrong .. I have the album and enjoy it but .. so for me the highlight was the encore ... Four Day Creep and Doctor .. it doesn't get any better than that ... He is a master musician and to see John's Siomos's kit up there was magical
How did it SOUND?? Old school modern??

ThomFloor

Reaction score
Pretty sure that is not John Siomos's kit. His was green yes, but he had a 24 or 26" bass drum, and 2 hanging toms, as well as a smaller concert tom, at least in the Frampton Comes Alive period.

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How did it SOUND?? Old school modern??
you mean in terms of the drums? I can't really say that they had that definitive big Ludwig 70's sound because "sound" systems have probably advanced somewhat since the 70's but I will say that Frampton's overall sound is still very much old school

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pretty sure that is not John Siomos's kit. His was green yes, but he had a 24 or 26" bass drum, and 2 hanging toms, as well as a smaller concert tom, at least in the Frampton Comes Alive period.

they are not using all the drums.

ThomFloor

Reaction score
actually i stand corrected.sorry, it is indeed his kit. one can see bass drum size better here.
and ya i guess they've done some mods to the kit. good for PF to commemorate his drummer.

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
actually i stand corrected.sorry, it is indeed his kit. one can see bass drum size better here.
and ya i guess they've done some mods to the kit. good for PF to commemorate his drummer.
Interesting .. friend sent me the link to thei video yesterday. I was going to capture a screen shot because ( as you pointed out ) you can approximate that the BD appears to be larger than a 22. The shot I originally included doesn't show the size as well

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We saw Frampton and Bonham Saturday night and he indeed took the time to honor Bob Mayo and John and told the story of buying the drums the first time, then again recently where he paid "much more this time around". So yeah, those are the original Ludwigs. As far as sound goes, you could tell it was Frampton from the opening song. "Somethings happening" sounded as good as I remembered. Great show overall.

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow quite a story. Had no clue that Peter actually bought them for John.

Some better quality pictures of the said kit. Now the 6 million dollar question, what kind of green is it?

Last pic, it looks like a really deep green sparkle. Amazing how well the kit has held up for 45 years...

Last edited:

Latest posts