Johnathan Moffett

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could build a continent on the foundation of that groove.
At the same time, he is adding a lot of tasteful and driving touches. I really like how he uses the bass drum to drive the snare through with added punch and attack (hitting together). Not an uncommon move, but playing that when it counts is everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I must have watched this video a dozen times. Moffett just kills it like a Kung Fu Master.

He also does some very unorthodox hi hat chirps in this version.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Is not Moffett a DW endorser and yet I see copious ammounts of Yamaha cymbal stands.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he was playing at Drumeo and using a bit of their in house gear. That said I don't know if that violates part of his contract with dw. He would have no trouble sounding like JM if he was forced to move to Yamaha, though.

That cranked dw snare sure sounds good! Perfect pop snare.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
In the summer of 85, a friend of mine was dating Madonna's sister and I saw her fist major concert in Detroit with the family. It just so happened that Sugarfoot Moffett was playing in her band on that tour (and many afterward) and he was mesmorizing to watch. Seriously deep groove with tons of amazing licks, many of which involved super quick and funky bass drum licks. A year later, I saw Jermaine Jackson at the Premier Center, a nightclub and Sugarfoot, once again, had a huge Yamaha kit onstage just kicking the band like no other. He's one of the great ones for sure.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funky for sure! Man some of his cymbals are in the stratosphere...

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Doubleroll said:
Funky for sure! Man some of his cymbals are in the stratosphere...
I like the one's behind him...he does this cool, quick move behind him with hitting both at the same time.

R

RickP

Treviso1 said:
In the summer of 85, a friend of mine was dating Madonna's sister and I saw her fist major concert in Detroit with the family. It just so happened that Sugarfoot Moffett was playing in her band on that tour (and many afterward) and he was mesmorizing to watch. Seriously deep groove with tons of amazing licks, many of which involved super quick and funky bass drum licks. A year later, I saw Jermaine Jackson at the Premier Center, a nightclub and Sugarfoot, once again, had a huge Yamaha kit onstage just kicking the band like no other. He's one of the great ones for sure.
Was that Kenny the Sausage King that was dating Madonna's sister ? :D

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately not, but that would make for a great story. It was an old roommate of mine who dated Madonna's sister for years.

icetech

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That whole lesson was really good.. i believe he also has a full course on the site also.. i would have to login to check.. but am lazy :)

P.S. that snare sounds amazing to me... he really seems to lay into it pretty hard..

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He played with Elton, circa 1988-90.

Last edited by a moderator:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Interesting to see his layered cymbal approach which is all about the visual IMHO. And it looks like it works ergonomically. Loved watching him play. Thanks for posting.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
About the cymbals, at the very end he does a badass arena pop, cymbal move. Just checking if you all saw it!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Cauldronics said:
About the cymbals, at the very end he does a badass arena pop, cymbal move. Just checking if you all saw it!
I did. Very impressive!

Tarkus

Reaction score
Here is the full drumeo lecture:

Unbelievable well played. And his 'sugar foot' is impressive. Talking about 'groove monsters', he is often forgotten. I don't know why.

PS: Could somebody correct the spelling of his name in the thread title, please?

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is him, he's in the back and so much going on stage. Wasn't a fan of this kind of music back then for sure, but that groove killed me along with his authority. He just puts it down, he can play with loops better than anyone I've ever seen, and does it on the biggest high profile.

spelman

Reaction score
Here is the full drumeo lecture:

Unbelievable well played. And his 'sugar foot' is impressive. Talking about 'groove monsters', he is often forgotten. I don't know why.

PS: Could somebody correct the spelling of his name in the thread title, please?
Maybe it's the Michael Jackson connection, IDK.