Johnny Cougar (Mellencamp) 5-fer

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some selections from his 1978 opus "A Biography", when he was in his brief "glam rock" phase and was known as Johnny Cougar.

Which for reasons unknown the album was only released in Australia and the UK. This was also the album that "I Need A Lover" was originally recorded for.

Great drumming from Tom Knowles, rocking a chrome Slingerland kit and 5x14 Rogers Dynasonic. He was also the drummer on the following "John Cougar" album too.

Last edited:

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And the crown jewel of the album. To some, hard to think this would be the same guy who would release later on "Pink Houses", "Small Town", and "Authority Song"...but I digress.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t think the 2nd and last track were too different from his later stuff. I was always a big fan of Scarecrow, which I think was his first album as John Cougar Mellencamp. As a midwest kid Mellencamp was my Springsteen.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don’t think the 2nd and last track were too different from his later stuff. I was always a big fan of Scarecrow, which I think was his first album as John Cougar Mellencamp. As a midwest kid Mellencamp was my Springsteen.
I have often pondered to myself what musician best manifested the working class American zeitgeist , Mellencamp, Springsteen, Petty?

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have often pondered to myself what musician best manifested the working class American zeitgeist , Mellencamp, Springsteen, Petty?
As far as rock and roll in the 70s and 80s I think it depends on your experience, ya know? Not that you can't enjoy them all but Jersey, the Philly area and NY are well represented by Springsteen, but East Coasters are never going to fully understand what it's like to see an entire town slowly disappear like the mid west has and Mellencamp captures that experience perfectly. Petty never really spoke to me at all not that I can't appreciate the music. They are different blue collar experiences. Different types of factories, port authorities, farmers, ethnicities, and social norms etc.

I have the odd position of being from the Mid West AND the East Coast. But because of that not really fully fitting in in either place. I'm too nice for Philly and too mean for Michigan. Haha

JFBL

Reaction score
Scarecrow was Johnny's crown jewel, though he'd hate the expression.