Johnson City, TN (here I come)

mtarrani

DFO Master
Reaction score
Last week on a whim me and my girlfriend made a quick trip to Johnson City, TN based on an online real estate listing that she spotted. We met up the the realtor who she had hastily contacted and was shown the home she liked. In person it was discovered that there were too many issues, so the realtor took us to a few more in Bristol (on the Tennessee side of the city), Kingsport and Johnson City. We fell in love with one in a Johnson City suburb called Gray, TN and made an offer. We qualified and the offer was accepted. Long story short, it closes in early December and off we go to Tennessee! Any fellow drummers in the vicinity? Oh, one of the selling points for that area can be seen in the attached map.

newhome.jpg

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Congratulations. Nice area. When I was in the process of moving my young family from Connecticut, which just had its hands in our pockets constantly, to a freer state I contemplated that area of Tennessee, which I believe some even refer to as Franklin. Went so far as to flying down there and spending a week checking it out.

Ultimately I decided against it, my senseabilities are throughly New England so we ended up in New Hampshire which I am very happy with. Still my wife’s sister did move to Tennessee, got married and settled down. When we go to visit I am always shocked how much it has grown and changed. Seems like the whole country, specifically Californians, are moving there.

mtarrani

DFO Master
Reaction score
Congratulations. Nice area. When I was in the process of moving my young family from Connecticut, which just had its hands in our pockets constantly, to a freer state I contemplated that area of Tennessee, which I believe some even refer to as Franklin. Went so far as to flying down there and spending a week checking it out.

Ultimately I decided against it, my senseabilities are throughly New England so we ended up in New Hampshire which I am very happy with. Still my wife’s sister did move to Tennessee, got married and settled down. When we go to visit I am always shocked how much it has grown and changed. Seems like the whole country, specifically Californians, are moving there.
For us it was the lure of the mountains. We had been making trips to WV and TN a few times a year and totally fell in love with the mountains.

This would have normally been out of the question a few years ago because I was living off of my retirement. The retirement was pretty good, but not good enough to allow me to maintain my Florida home and one in Tennessee too. However, two years ago I committed to a part time job as a consultant for a friend who owns a small consulting company. My conditions were no more than twelve hours a week and all work to be done from home. That income allowed us to buy a home near the mountains and keep the FL one.

Not sure if we are going to rent the FL one out or be snowbirds spending the winters in FL.

For what it's worth, if I had some real money I would be living in New England. When I did a project in Rhode Island in 2002 I totally fell in love with RI and CT and would have not hesitated to move to either ... except for the taxes and high cost of living (and I was living in the Los Angeles area at the time, which shows how high RI was when you balanced the costs against opportunities to make money.)

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For us it was the lure of the mountains. We had been making trips to WV and TN a few times a year and totally fell in love with the mountains.

This would have normally been out of the question a few years ago because I was living off of my retirement. The retirement was pretty good, but not good enough to allow me to maintain my Florida home and one in Tennessee too. However, two years ago I committed to a part time job as a consultant for a friend who owns a small consulting company. My conditions were no more than twelve hours a week and all work to be done from home. That income allowed us to buy a home near the mountains and keep the FL one.

Not sure if we are going to rent the FL one out or be snowbirds spending the winters in FL.

For what it's worth, if I had some real money I would be living in New England. When I did a project in Rhode Island in 2002 I totally fell in love with RI and CT and would have not hesitated to move to either ... except for the taxes and high cost of living (and I was living in the Los Angeles area at the time, which shows how high RI was when you balanced the costs against opportunities to make money.)
I hear that, government, politics and economic aside Rhode Island is a great state. I think I spent half my youth on the Goat island causeway gigging squid. Still, I think you found yourself a nice spot.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score

Is Johnson City in the mountains?

mtarrani

DFO Master
Reaction score
At the foot of them actually. When we went there last week we stayed overnight in Erwin, TN, which is in the mountains and about 30 minutes from Johnson City.

mtarrani

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm close by in Asheville, NC. Johnson City is a great place. Let me know if you'd like to grab lunch after you get settled.
Definitely. We are in and out of Asheville a few times a year already. We pass through when heading to Knoxville and other TN locations. Usually we are on 26, but occasionally 40 as well.

Latest posts