header.nohb.html

Joined The Premier Club Today

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Altho one benefit of the "beer barrel hoop eared whitworth metric 10 lug floor whatever" era is..

birch shells
which- I think- were "harder"- and I could like that sound;
This era. ;-) This kit’s from around 1954. Archaic and a complete blast to play.

Attachments

• 2CDA4754-58B6-473B-B70D-2209AE848988.jpeg
    2CDA4754-58B6-473B-B70D-2209AE848988.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 28

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not sure what you and JDA are finding fault with on the earlier tom mount. I'm new to Premier as well, just picked up this early 70s 303 kit with the 8x12 and 8x1 View attachment 567325 4 pancake toms. Love my mounts as they allow close proximity and low heighth. I guess I did have to experiment a bit for optimal placement, but they seem rock solid to me.
Even the Premier mounts that came after these are hard to get exactly where you want them. Ball joints were a huge improvement for all companies.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you and JDA are finding fault with on the earlier tom mount. I'm new to Premier as well, just picked up this early 70s 303 kit with the 8x12 and 8x1 View attachment 567325 4 pancake toms. Love my mounts as they allow close proximity and low heighth. I guess I did have to experiment a bit for optimal placement, but they seem rock solid to me.
I think those are a later generation than the style I had experience with. Those look more robust than the earlier ones. I'm not familiar with every permutation as the holders evolved through the years.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Not sure what you and JDA are finding fault with on the earlier tom mount. I'm new to Premier as well, just picked up this early
premierJDA1.JPG PremierJDA2.JPG

Intimately familiar with them

premierJDA1.JPG
PremierJDA2.JPG

Bought ordered new in Sept. 1971.
Gigged lived with them until 1997.

Will say- do remember- early on- one of the 390- post's I had replaced under warranty; my dealer was very good about that.

But man, I went into the store that day in 1971 (age 15) wanting thermogloss Ludwigs and Saleman store owner sold me (and my dad who was helping) on these, right out of the catalog- Site Unseen; I picked Mahogany pearl and the added 14x14. That's all I knew about them. Came with a 22" bass. I had no idea. Except maybe that the catalog picture was top notch. The Store owner was also a Selmer dealer and his mission was sell the Premiers.

premier 1971_premier_drumsets2.jpg

the reality; a little different. And I wanted thermogloss Ludwigs! oh well.
(we priced out a double bass Ludwig and it was $200+ more..)
It was my second set ever in life.
``````````````````````

and 2 years later in 73- this is what they sounded like.

https://soundcloud.com/rick-struzzi%2Fcrossroads-73-t-bird-lounge

Last edited:

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Welcome to the club!
Here is my 1972 3-ply Mahogany set 22/16/13 with the matching snare. solid black with shiniest chrome ever!
The drums are all international sizes, and they are LIGHT! My 22x14 bass drum is lighter than any 18x14 I have lifted so far.
I have the matching 14”x14” floor tom (hard to find) but I am thinking of selling the 20/14/12 3-ply mahogany set (same finish). That kit has the older style mounts. It’s from the late 60’s!

30113989-1FBB-46DC-A497-DEB35D7A4082.jpeg

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have both style mounts, 70’s one is lighter and way more robust. The earlier “dagger” mount they call it in the UK are not the best, but still ok and functional. These are vintage kits I don’t care much about the fittings. They are still unique!

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the club!
Here is my 1972 3-ply Mahogany set 22/16/13 with the matching snare. solid black with shiniest chrome ever!
The drums are all international sizes, and they are LIGHT! My 22x14 bass drum is lighter than any 18x14 I have lifted so far.
I have the matching 14”x14” floor tom (hard to find) but I am thinking of selling the 20/14/12 3-ply mahogany set (same finish). That kit has the older style mounts. It’s from the late 60’s!

View attachment 567370
Dibs on the 20/12/14 kit !!!

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Holy Frijoles!..Grail kit..to me,anyway…

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
there are clubs?
there are there is the Premier club well the entire staff is deceased
but still have 1st Wednesday of the month meetings 6:45 pm
the last meeting minutes are from 1989
when Rod Morgenstein visited and taught everyone how to play left handed.

Blue Zurich

Reaction score
the Premier club well the entire staff is deceased
but still have 1st wednesday of the month meetings 7pm
the last meeting minutes are from 1989
when Rod Morganstein visited and taught everyone how to play left handed.
"Walks in on Wednesday, everyone turns, stares and after an uncomfortable second someone says 'Gretsch Club' meets on Tuesday"

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a great score K.O.! I look forward to the finishd kit. I'm like you, always on the lookout for the right Premier kit, and yours landed!!!!

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm rethinking my rethink on leaving them black. Closer inspection leads me to believe that these have already been rewrapped in the black. I'd probably need to rewrap the bass and floor to make them meet my requirements. I'd have to buy the black wrap (although it is one of the cheapest wrap Precision offers). I do have a couple cool Pearls on hand, a golden yellow and a dark green.

But black does look really nice...

But I already have a black Gretsch set...two of them in fact, depending on how I count.

Decisions, decisions....

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm rethinking my rethink on leaving them black. Closer inspection leads me to believe that these have already been rewrapped in the black. I'd probably need to rewrap the bass and floor to make them meet my requirements. I'd have to buy the black wrap (although it is one of the cheapest wrap Precision offers). I do have a couple cool Pearls on hand, a golden yellow and a dark green.

But I already have a black Gretsch set...two of them in fact, depending on how I count.

Decisions, decisions....
Why do you think it is rewrapped? The hole on the badge does look enlarged and the bass drum inlays are definitely rewrapped but not sure about the entire kit. Because Premier has the best chrome work amongst vintage drums, it is REALLY clean and shiny, the black duro finish (wrap) looks extraordinary on vintage Premiers.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Master
Reaction score

Decisions, decisions....

I support you in that! Not much of a wrap man, myself. So I'll be curious to hear what you decide?
What are you thinking aside from wraps?