Jojo Mayer - "Changing Time" documentary

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know that Jojo's band "Nerve" isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I have to say that I love watching the videos of them playing live. Jojo is definitely following a unique, creative approach, and watching him reverse engineer drum machine rhythms on an acoustic kit is crazy!

I like how he adapted his career path after initially thinking he'd be doing jazz in NY, and when that wasn't really much of an option he found his own niche. A progressive musician in every sense of the word.

I found this documentary fascinating. Even if you don't like the "drum and bass" style of music, there's a lot of insight here into the creative process. Worth watching if you have the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I second that. "I can fly"...no mess. Great insight into his development. One of the best out there today.

Freewill3

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just caught this the other day! Amazing profile of Jojo, his world of drummimg & music. It was really cool seeing him jam with his dad using a pair of brushes on a box!

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for posting - I added it to my youtube list to watch when I have time.

And my favorite recorded work of Jojo's is "The Screaming Headless Torsos" album. I may have to listen to that again today!

Sonorholic

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm a fan of JoJo's more than I am of the band, but it's still very cool to learn so much about his history.

Drums

Reaction score
Definitely worth watching. A great story that is beautifully shot and produced as well. What a cool house his parents have in Switzerland. Highly recommended!

gezz

DFO Star
Reaction score
Watched this and thoroughly enjoyed.. especially his parents house.. wow!!! Pure artistic household..

Gerry