Joline

tempobob

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not sharp on posting links here, but search you tube for Dolly Parton's Jolene slowed down to 33-1/3.
It's the video with the 45 disc

GoJaskill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Amazing. It still sounds like a woman – but a much, much larger woman. Still super passionate though.

Last edited by a moderator:

b/o 402

Wacky old coot
Reaction score
Wow that was great!
Could someone with the technology to do so, confirm that that is in fact the Dolly Parton record slowed down?

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, sounds like a cover version. What a great song at any tempo.

relayer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm suspicious of that; it doesn't sound like Dolly Parton slowed down, but I could be wrong. Still, what a beautiful and heartfelt song.

Stephen

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
b/o 402 said:
Wow that was great!
Could someone with the technology to do so, confirm that that is in fact the Dolly Parton record slowed down?
I think I have the original at home I could probably upload it to Audacity and slow it down

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I just tested it in my DAW and it's definitely Dolly slowed down.

When I was a kid I loved to put 45's on the 33 1/3 setting or albums on the 45 setting. If we wanted to get real crazy we'd put LPs on the 78 setting. I cringe to think of what damage we might have caused to them, but we didn't do it too often.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow - beyond a testament to how great those players were - what a great example to singers that think that floating across the time with little regard to the rhythmic integrity of their phrasing is somehow essential to expression. Slowly down a record like this makes every rhythmic inaccuracy twice as significant - and listen to her lock in with the groove. Even when she pulls back the phrase, she does it in an manner that lines up rhythmically.

And the guitar with the drums and rest of the tracks... again, wow.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
You can adjust the timing on the YT video without affecting the pitch. Take it up to 1.5 and it's close to the original tempo, but still sounds like a guy singing.

Stretsch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
TheBeachBoy said:
I just tested it in my DAW and it's definitely Dolly slowed down.

When I was a kid I loved to put 45's on the 33 1/3 setting or albums on the 45 setting. If we wanted to get real crazy we'd put LPs on the 78 setting. I cringe to think of what damage we might have caused to them, but we didn't do it too often.
Kinda like this?

Last edited by a moderator:

b/o 402

Wacky old coot
Reaction score
dcrigger said:
Wow - beyond a testament to how great those players were - what a great example to singers that think that floating across the time with little regard to the rhythmic integrity of their phrasing is somehow essential to expression. Slowly down a record like this makes every rhythmic inaccuracy twice as significant - and listen to her lock in with the groove. Even when she pulls back the phrase, she does it in an manner that lines up rhythmically.

And the guitar with the drums and rest of the tracks... again, wow.
Yeah that's what I thought too, the rhythm track doesn't resemble what a slowed down track typically sounds like. In addition to being squeaky clean with timing (this is before digital recording and Protools) the instruments, bgvs and even the reverbs sound normal! That's freaking impressive!

Way Out Wardell

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, this is incredible...a completely new atmosphere this way!

I found myself listening to the lyrics differently too.

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Parton has a thin, almost child-like high pitched voice. Listening to the original (on youtube) I'd be willing to believe this was a slowed-down version, but it does seem more perfect than a mechanically slowed-down version should sound.