Jon Christensen

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
First awareness of Jon's drumming was this great Keith Jarrett album (He was Keith's "European Quartet" drummer) was "My Song". Love his drumming on this. Also played on some of Terje Rypdal, John Abercrombie and Ralph Towner's ECM albums. He was one of Eicher's house drummers. So glad I got to hear his music/drumming. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Christensen

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I cannot find anything on the web that confirms his demise. Not even in the Norwegian media which I find odd. He was/is a big name in Norway.

I know Peter Erskine posted two days ago on FB about his death but he has since corrected that since it was apparently not the case.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I checked the facebook profile of his wife. She last posted 2 hours ago. No mention anywhere on his death.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
The only place I can find any reference to his passing is on Wikipedia. Not sure how accurate it is, especially without postings elsewhere.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The only place I can find any reference to his passing is on Wikipedia. Not sure how accurate it is, especially without postings elsewhere.
I saw that too. Basically anyone can post anything on wiki until it’s taken down after some weeks if it’s not verified. So, it could be incorrect. I read Norwegian and I can’t find anything on his death.

Reactions: JDA

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Let´s just hope it isn´t true!
Listened a lot to him recently - Keith Jarrett, Charles Lloyd, Jan Garbarek... what a wonderful musician and a huge inspiration for me. First heard him on Ralph Towner´s "Solstice" album. Check out "Piscean Dance"!

TrickRoll

Reaction score
I saw that too. Basically anyone can post anything on wiki until it’s taken down after some weeks if it’s not verified. So, it could be incorrect. I read Norwegian and I can’t find anything on his death.
I hope it’s a false report, and apologize if that turns out to be the case.

bjornk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You`re right, nothing in the norwegian media about him passing. I find that odd if it`s true.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jazz great Jon Christensen has passed.

So many wonderful recordings on ECM were propelled by Jon’s drumming. Admired his use of dynamics to create great drama.
Could you change the title of this thread to reflect the fact that he is still alive?