Journey Joins the Double-Drummer Trend with Castronovo-Walden Pairing

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Never really understood two drummers, I mean two guys playing two kits. Now one guy playing a kit and another playing percussion is awesome! Bands like Dispatch/Leftover Salmon have that set up and its fun to watch and hear.
I'm kind of sick of classic rock, never listen to Journey anymore. I will listen to some of it like Kansas, and well I cant think of another band. I have moved to bluegrass and jam bands.

NYFrank

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Personally, I never got double drummers. And I wouldn't want to be one of a pair.
But, then I saw a video of Joe Bonamassa with 2 drummers, and yeah, you could hear and feel the power.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I saw Neal walking on the street a number of years ago hanging with Virgil Donati in New York when they were working on the Soul Sirkus album. Super nice guys to talk with. Schon's playing is amazing and I have a number of his solo albums. His Schon & Hammer album and certainly HSAS are classic! Journey however, is the can't miss money maker whenever the need for coin comes around. Members come and go to share in the cash cow. I get it, it's Journey and they owned the air waves in the 80's, but I don't have any interest in hearing any of their hits again. That was then this is now. That said I bet there comes some incredible 6 plus minute drum solo with Michael and Deen. That could be of major interest to many of us drummers.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I never got double drummers. And I wouldn't want to be one of a pair.
ah come on lighten up it's 2021 (or something weird) make some noise ; )

Just think. Two drummers could steal the show.
wait King Crimson has three! that doggone Fripp!!

WLVN

Reaction score
I can't imagine double Journey drumming.

For those of you who can't fathom two double drum set drummers at all, you need to check out the masters...
Butch Trucks and Jaimoe on the Allman Brothers at Fillmore East Whipping Post

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wait. I thought Randy Jackson was back in the band too. That ain’t Randy Jackson.

Not sure why you need 2 drummers when they both play the same parts.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wait. I thought Randy Jackson was back in the band too. That ain’t Randy Jackson.
Marco Mendoza while Randy recovers from back surgery.

However, keyboardist Jonathan Cain tells ABC Audio that Jackson — who previously played with Journey during the mid-1980s — will be missing the Chicago gigs.

“Unfortunately, Randy’s not going to be there, ’cause he’s got back surgery,” Cain reports. “Marco Mendoza, a good friend of ours [who] plays great, he’ll fill in for now.”

Trey Gray

Pro
Reaction score
Deen is a freak of nature.

Yessss....I always thought they should just get him back and let him sing. I'm glad they did. And he's got more of the Steve Smith 70/80's thing that I miss so much. I totally love Steve Smith with Journey, but the stuff before he was fired the first time...lots of power and finesse...

cheers and blessings, tg

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love Journey and have respect and admiration for all members past and present.

But.........DOUBLE DRUMMERS?

One word. STUPID.

Two words. SELL OUTS.

I can not think of absolutely NO musical/artistic reason to do it in Journey. Perhaps in other bands, but Journey?? Highly suggestive of cashing in/trying to cash in.

I will NOT go see them.

Sad.

gaebrel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not necessary for this bands music. Most bands Ive seen with double drummers are usually playing the same thing. Ridiculous

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Not necessary for this bands music. Most bands Ive seen with double drummers are usually playing the same thing. Ridiculous
Agree, I've never seen the point of having two drummers in a band who are both playing the same thing.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks like V-Drums, probably to better mix against NMW, and singing. Should be interesting.
They certainly don’t need two drummers. I think he’s there to shore up the super high vocals that their various lead singers seem to all lose eventually after years of touring.