Junior Bonham set....Amber waves of acrylic.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, wouldn't Junior Bonham be a great name for a NASCAR driver (and Amber Vistalite a good name for a female lead singer)?

So a couple months back I brought home an Amber Vistalite Hollywood set. I had been on the prowl for a Vista set lately and had just missed out on a blue set when a friend clued me in on a guy he knew that was selling off his drums (divorce) and had a nice set of Ambers. Amber was my #1 choice of color. Well, okay maybe green would win out but those are hard to find and really expensive when you do. Amber drums also tend to be up there in price due to the Bonham connection. While I like Bonzo's drumming I'm not really that big of a big fan so that wasn't my motive. I do seem to have a thing for orange drums (Burnt Orange, Mod Orange, Tangerine Sparkle). Anyway I struck a deal (a pretty good one) for the amber set and hauled the 12/13/16/22 set (no snare) home. I already had an Amber snare that I had bought many years ago (orange drums!) so I was set there. Shortly thereafter I ordered up a new Amber shell from RCI to build a 14x14 so I'd be able to do my favored 1up 2 down setup. That shell arrived a couple weeks back and I had it all together that evening.

I was hoping to get some pictures taken of the set before winter set in but every time in the last couple weeks that I had the time and/or the inclination to haul the stuff outside and set it up the weather failed to cooperate. Today was the exception, though cool it was sunny, although the sun receded a bit as soon as I got the set put up (and eventually looked as though rain might be coming) it was still relatively nice out with blue skies so I shot a bunch of pictures.

It didn't occur to me that I had put together a "mini-Bonham" set until I had them set up. Same configuration but in smaller sizes. Wasn't my aim but still that is the end result. I'm thinking I need to get that Remo Muffl out of the bass drum before I do any gigs (it came that way). I did put the colortone front head on the bass. I posted about that before. The large, non-removeable logo at the bottom of the head is bothersome but unavoidable.

Here's a sampling of the pictures...

IMG_4295.JPG

IMG_4244.JPG

IMG_4284.JPG

IMG_4247.JPG

These would be perfect for a Halloween gig...wish I had one. Maybe next year.

Last edited:

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How are you liking the Vistalite sound? I’ve played around on a couple of sets but never with my own heads and tuning. I’ve mostly been playing vintage Ludwigs (3 and 6 ply), 1980s Gretsch and Gretsch RN1s with Ambassadors in recent years.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is that tom mount?
The center post is a Gibraltar (although similar to what Ludwig was selling, at least at one time, and I did put a Ludwig wing nut on it) and the ball arm is a Ludwig extended 9.5mm arm (P29541) *. Unfortunately Ludwig discontinued that product a few years back. I have two of them that I bought when they were available. It puts the tom in the same position as a rail would when using a center post mount...which is perfect positioning for me. The mount on the tom is an INDe which is a standard mod I now do to most drums I plan to gig with. Due to that I could use a fatter ball arm if need be but as far as I know no one else is currently offering an extended arm like this in any of the the three standard diameters.

The set came with the regular Ludwig double post and my 13" still has the original bracket on it. I also upgraded the base on the bass drum to the newer version with the notch for the memory lock.

IMG_4255.JPG

* Ludwig Extended 9.5mm L-Arm w/ Ball Drums on SALE

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are you liking the Vistalite sound? I’ve played around on a couple of sets but never with my own heads and tuning. I’ve mostly been playing vintage Ludwigs (3 and 6 ply), 1980s Gretsch and Gretsch RN1s with Ambassadors in recent years.
It's a brighter sound to me. I haven't really had much of a chance to play this set. I have a couple of Vista Snares and a Fibes as well and have found them to be good drums for outdoor gigs due to that extra bit of bite, although metal drums work fine too. And I'm usually miked so really anything will work.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are those crashes, Impact?

Nice kit!
Supernatural Impact series. Turkish made. I don't think Supernatural is still in business. I won a whole set of them, along with a DW set from Classic Drummer Magazine quite a few years back. I traded the drums for a set of Nashville Slingerlands but kept the cymbals. I never really paid them much mind (I have a lot of cymbals) but one day grabbed them and used them for a rehearsal and they were fantastic. Now they are part of my gigging setup with my rock band. That cymbal bag was the closest one when setting up for the photo shoot. The ride is my beloved 20" K pre-aged dry light ride and the hats are from Bettis.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Holy crap, that's really the size of Remo's logo now? And they put it on between the heads? Those guys have a serious complex about their branding.

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a Baby Bonham, 12x20/8x12/14x14 - thx to Jack Lawton for the green glass glitter rewrap. now has a good new home
DSCF0087.JPG

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool how the 12x20 sort of mimics the proportions of a 14x26. Very nice set!
That was an orphan kit, each drum was black diamond pearl but different era - the 12x20 was wood interior, the 8x12 was the "rivet" era w/ white interior, the 14x14 was wood interior w/out re-ring, and had been a re-wrap already in BDP. They just didn't match. And back in 1966 I had wanted green sparkle as my first kit so I finally went in on it. The green glass glitter rewrap by Jack Lawton was fabulous. I think Jack might have nicknamed it Baby Bonham, but can't remember. Joseph from Wood and Weather shop in MA. bought it from me at the Feb 2020 DE. drum show and I think turned it over quickly to a new home. In my sell-off for downsizing it was one of the last to go, hard to part with it. Especially liked the 12x20, the only 12" bass drum I ever had or played.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
I would encourage you to try them fitted with the heads you normally like to play. People automatically put dots on Vistas and it skews the sonic results. Do you usually play dotted heads? I think they sound better minus the 70s treatment.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I could just photoshop it off the real one. It's a two ply head and they put the logo inside between the plies....clever bastards!
Why not use the Cricut machine to create a sticky of the same stuff as your KO logo and cover up the Remo logo.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not use the Cricut machine to create a sticky of the same stuff as your KO logo and cover up the Remo logo.
That has crossed my mind but I'm unsure what to put there that would cover the logo (without being even more egregious than the Remo logo).

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would encourage you to try them fitted with the heads you normally like to play. People automatically put dots on Vistas and it skews the sonic results. Do you usually play dotted heads? I think they sound better minus the 70s treatment.
Those are the heads that came with the set. I might try clear Emperors at some point (smooth white emperors are my usual "go-to" heads for playing rock).