Just a snare drum and cymbal!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
So I took the family to Disneyland this past week - my 11 & 7 y.o. boys loved it, of course! At California Adventure, there is a car that drives thru the park with the "Five and Dime" band - think Prohibition-era type music with a flapper girl singer, upright bass, a few horns, and a drummer. They were very amusing but of course I was quite intrigued by the drum set up. I don't have the actual pics off my camera, but here is a photo off Google with a very similar setup.

The drummer had a natural maple snare which looked to me like a Yamaha 6x14 with lugs up & down. Looked like an LP claw attached with a short light cymbal or percussion arm and probably a 12" or 14" splash that he used as a ride, too. Insane New Orleans style chops, but I was most impressed with the fat woody tone, especially since he was non-miked and had plenty of volume for a large open space. He has a large marching contraption to hold the snare in place, but it was still a pretty cool setup and totally well played for the situation.....

DL band.jpg

GreatBazunka

Reaction score
This really all takes me back to the idea that you can make great music with anything. You don't need tons of cymbals and drums. Just a few pieces and you can play with other people no problem. When i see the sets that have a million things going on at once, it is just superfluous.

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's how it all started for me when my Music appreciation teacher, Mr Clough, taught me a simple 1+2+3+4+ beat with the snare on 2 and 4+!

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is cool! I learned to play the same way, 1 snare and 1 cymbal, in a Rockabilly band. Had a great time with it.

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it might be about this video.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
I've also seen the drummers at Disney Land and California Adventure and thought they sounded great with that snare and splash cymbal. I took pictures and video trying to figure out what they had but I don't have access to those pictures right now.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
One of my great friends, Raul Reynoso, was a Disney employee for years, and he polished his chops on Django Reinhart, 1930s Dixie blues and New Orleans jazz.

Here we are playing with the great Roy Rogers a few years ago. Snare only--1972 Rogers Satellite "Skinny" drum.

Roy, Raul, Tom.JPG

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This really all takes me back to the idea that you can make great music with anything. You don't need tons of cymbals and drums. Just a few pieces and you can play with other people no problem. When i see the sets that have a million things going on at once, it is just superfluous.
Hi...my name is Neil...

Attachments

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Love this! The Stray Cats were one of my favorite bands in high school, and he got it done standing up all with just a few pieces.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
He has to keep it light weight and portable because he was jumping on and off the car! I am sure I have video, too........

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
At the State Fair of Oklahoma years ago, there was some strolling band affiliated with the Air Force, I think, playing similar jazz. The drummer had a similar setup but with a lower-tuned marching snare, and what I would guess to be a top hi-hat cymbal as a ride—sounded great! Wish I got a closer look at the cymbal.

Latest posts