header.nohb.html

Just Bought a 90's Yamaha Brass Snare

ruanddu

Reaction score
Just picked up a used 6x14 Yamaha brass snare on ebay. It's the SD-4106 modelf from the 1990's. Die-cast rims. Seamless shell. I am excited to try it! I have heard great things about this model. What finally got me to decide to buy the drum was Michael Urbano's recommendation. He said he used it on the first 3rd Eye Blind album. Amazing sounding snare, at least on the album.

Anyone else tried this model before? Your thoughts?

Snooter

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aurora ,Indiana (south west from Cinci Oh)
I just bought one as well. Should arrive late Wednesday. It is 6.5x14 and has a seamless brass shell. I picked this up after wanting a Manu Katche sig snare. Can't wait to play it!!!

S

skinsman

Those things are monsters...heavy shell too. Great drums IMO

R

RickP

drumedge said:
Yamaha makes incredible sounding snare drums! Wait until you record with her...
+1 - my Yamaha Club Custom (Kapur shell) is a great sounding snare drum. Yamaha makes really nice snares and you can generally get them for decent prices.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Agreed. I love Yamaha snares. Do you have a picture of your drum?

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought the 5.5" deep version of this drum from another DFO member last year, to replace the "Manu Katche Signature" snare drum I sold seven or eight years ago (it's basically the same drum as the "Manu" minus the "signature" cosmetics). I'm not sure if mine is from the '90s, but it's the seamless brass shell. Marvelous instrument.

It sounded great with all the stock parts, but I did do a bit of a modification based upon reading a Manu Katche interview years ago - he said he replaced the batter hoop with an old Ludwig "twin channel" die cast hoop. I was able to track one down, and it added just a bit of focus to the drum's sound. Worth a try, IMO, if you stumble across one of those hoops.

dilbertfan1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had, and sold, a SD493 Yamaha brass piccolo snare......twice. The SD493 was often referred to as the 'Weckl snare' as he was seen with it quite frequently through the late 80's/early 90's.
Great sounding brass drum. I miss it and keep trying to get the magic combo on eBay (cheap and in good shape) but keep missing it. The prices they sell for fluctuate. I've seen them go for $120 one day and $450 the next. Hard to understand.
The point being, Yamaha makes really nice snares. I still have the first snare I bought for myself, a 7x14 Recording Custom in that beautiful cherry red lacquer they did. Lovely drum.

Snooter

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aurora ,Indiana (south west from Cinci Oh)
I got my snare. This is an awesome brass snare to say the least. I love the dual tension strainer as well.
The drum tuned up quickly and is warm and rich. Yamaha did a fantastic job with this model

skybear

Reaction score
Well. Mike urbano, huh... That name brings back memories,,,, From the borgeous tagg days,, Yes i too own a brass yami in the deep size... Nice tub,,, selling with my whole kit,,,, 1600,,

theneonguy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Brass or bronze shell + die cast rims = incredible sound, power, and rich tone. Add tube lugs for the perfect snare combination, as in the Black Beauty. You gotta love that Yammie brass, man. I gots my Pork Pie. I'm on a bit of a budget.

Dan Dakabin Drums

Reaction score
Bringing it back to life... I've been playing a SD4106 for decades and is the only metal shell drum I will record with. It is the warmest thing and it tunes way up and way down with ease. I found my so useful I sold my 5 and 6.5 Black Beauties (bought some nice studio gear). The Yamaha does it equally as well under the mic with far far better components. I have gigged them too from bop to hard rock. No problem. Actually, for jazz they are wonderful especially on latin grooves with snares off. Warm for days...

I confess to being a Yamaha guy since the mid 90s though. The older 14x7 birch snares are superb too. I have a few and I know for a fact that Bob Clearmountain loves them. Only other snares I have are cherry and tulip NC solid shells. To sum up, the older seamless Yamahas are classic drums and well worth picking up.
I guess they are getting pricey now??

Reaction score
Great snares.

1669965579688.png

I love these era made models the most.

If you want a less ringy snare, check the Alu model from this era.