Just bought this 1980/1 Rogers XP8 Wooden Dynasonic

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

What is it worth... I believe it is the XP8 since the Big R has no serial number on it and from what I read this means it dates back to 1980/1

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw that listing when it first popped up a week or so ago. There's no "USA" on the badge which indicates it's a post-1984 Asian made shell, probably not the original XP8/10 and definitely not a standard Big R shell. I have no idea what it could be made of or whether it was born a "dynasonic" as super tens were made in that size as well. From my reading the 8x14 should be a 10 ply all maple shell. And all the "no serial number"...."Rogers" Big R drums made in 1980/81 would have Rogers "USA" on the badge. The CL badge photo is very clear.....and this not a USA Rogers.

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's worth a few bucks for sure! Even the Import snares were cool ... though obviously not on par with the USA Rogers. What would the precise value be? No freekin clue. But it's a cool drum, nonetheless.
If you snag it, let us know the nitty gritty. Neat old drum.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Kenshireen1 stated they already bought it. So now it's a matter of figuring out the details.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048

The first 2 links in the above thread give many details on both Rogers Big R Dynasonics and the XP10 Dynasonics. From the photos shown, maple grain should probably be running horizontal, rather than vertical.

Last edited:

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

What is it worth... I believe it is the XP8 since the Big R has no serial number on it and from what I read this means it dates back to 1980/1
Hi Ken,

Post this over at VDF. The Ploughman will know exactly what it is!

-Mark

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Import badges does not have USA on them, and the black outline goes to the edge of the badge. USA Big R badges have silver edge outside of the black line edge.

So if the badge is not clear enough to find USA on them, you can usually tell the USA or Import shell by what is the outside edge in the badge picture.

Latest posts