Just for kicks- Sonically matching a 4x14 Ludwig Downbeat snare in 2020

J

jaymandude

How would you do it ? I'd be curious..

Is this size in the catalog with a Legacy shell ? Special order ? Who has a shell then that would work ? Parts I'm assuming you could find

Last edited by a moderator:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Bernie Stone could probably make you the correct 3 ply shell with rings. You'd want either mahogany/poplar/mahogany or mahogany/poplar/maple to be period correct. The lugs might be tricky to source.

J

jaymandude

Bernie Stone could probably make you the correct 3 ply shell with rings. You'd want either mahogany/poplar/mahogany or mahogany/poplar/maple to be period correct. The lugs might be tricky to source.
Thanks. I’d forgotten about him. I could use any piccolo lug. The side by side is notorious for slipping.

the price on the originals is just so high now. Maybe with the coming depression tho they’ll come down with everything else

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just using any lugs wouldn't be a problem. To me "replicate" indicated a desire to make drum that looked just like the original. I imagine you could easily get Ludwigs current piccolo lug from someplace like Drums on sale.com

J

jaymandude

Just using any lugs wouldn't be a problem. To me "replicate" indicated a desire to make drum that looked just like the original. I imagine you could easily get Ludwigs current piccolo lug from someplace like Drums on sale.com

Ugggh, that's one ugly lug :) Maybe go for the Gretsch ?
Sorry.. I should edit the post for clarity. It's more the sound I'm after. Do you think there's a current drum comercially available that captures that ?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a 10x14 shell.....I sure wish I had a table saw to rip 2" off each side then glue them together.....I get all sorts of ideas.....

If you have the tools, I'd find a shell and go for it.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of tube lugs but this would be one instance when I'd lean towards them as the best choice.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That would be nice. There's a sound I'm after that I don't want to spend 800 dollars on. 600/650 maybe. But not 800.
unless it's a crazy cool/rare finish i consider a nice downbeat like mine worth about $650.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of tube lugs but this would be one instance when I'd lean towards them as the best choice.

I'm with Kevin on this one. The original lugs were so damn cool and unless that could be replicated or found, I would probably opt for a tube lug. Guess I would have to see a legacy all done up with the small keystone badge and Ludwig's current lugs to get an idea but nothing comes close to the original. That red sparkle WFL looks awesome!

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's available in the Ludwig Outfitter. Not sure about the lug shape, but otherwise. ;-)

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
It's available in the Ludwig Outfitter. Not sure about the lug shape, but otherwise. ;-)
Pretty sure it would have those lugs he doesn't like. Tube lugs might also be an option though.

Latest posts