Just for sheets and giggles...

Vicey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this cranked up or are you going for the 70s "phonebook with snare wires" sound?

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That looks Great! I don't know what it sounds like though.
Is this cranked up or are you going for the 70s "phonebook with snare wires" sound?
It's not totally cranked per se but a bit higher than what I usually go for. It is somewhat reminiscent of Bonham's LM402 tone on LZ II... I never in a million years would've tried a clear head on a snare, much less an hydraulic. Then a few vids sorta intrigued me. I bought it in jest half expecting the guys in the band to all get a laugh and then I woud revert to my usual vcoated reverse black dot. Everybody was kinda surprised at how good it sounds.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most guys keep stuff like this to themselves...just sayin. :icon_e_confused:

But since we're putting our innermost wants and desires out there, I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of black Jack Dejohnette heads! Help me... :sad:

Vicey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most guys keep stuff like this to themselves...just sayin. :icon_e_confused:

But since we're putting our innermost wants and desires out there, I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of black Jack Dejohnette heads! Help me... :sad:
Yeah, but the De Johnette heads are perfect. You get the immature but undeniable thrill of playing on awesomely black heads AND you get to play the jazz snob card because they're single-ply, coated, and are signed by Jack Freaking De Johnette.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but the De Johnette heads are perfect. You get the immature but undeniable thrill of playing on awesomely black heads AND you get to play the jazz snob card because they're single-ply, coated, and are signed by Jack Freaking De Johnette.
I'll be back in a minute, I have to go order those DeJohnette drum heads before they run out!!! ( or I come to my senses!) :lol:

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is just the 14" Hydraulic tom head and not the snare drum head correct? I'm using a blue Hydraulic snare head on a 14x10 Pearl Floor snare and I like it.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you don't use brushes much.
I always put coated heads on my snares and I haven't even picked a brush up in at least 5 years... When I was playing a lot of jazz I used them all the time of course. I guess in my current playing situation there is really no need to worried about coated snare heads anymore. As an after thought I really miss playing brushes. I found them challenging to play well!

jmato

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a set of white drums (used), anxiously awaiting their arrival, and this matching color idea leads me to the conclusion I should buy the white colortones and . . . nevermind.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is just the 14" Hydraulic tom head and not the snare drum head correct? I'm using a blue Hydraulic snare head on a 14x10 Pearl Floor snare and I like it.
I assumed it was a snare head, since at the shop I took it off the 14" rack alongside all the other snare heads, but I haven't read the label on the box so you might be right.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They make a snare specific batter head ??

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They make a snare specific batter head ??
Yes, it is actually coated and comes in red blue and black.