Just for the heck of it today...

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Joined
Apr 29, 2013
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
365
Location
south of the 'burgh
Happen to be on vaca the next few days (yay!) & so after I got all my chores done today, I decided to get my Vistalite kit out for some cleaning and general tlc. I'm so busy most of the time that unless I'm gigging one of my kits, I don't even see it--it's resting safely in cases in the corner. I didn't really feel like doing a full set up, since I was going to do this off my porch outside, & it's VERY HOT inside or out. I really don't like playing without any cymbals, but didn't feel like messing around too much, so I did throw up one crash, but no other cyms or even hats. Just kick/snare/rack/floor/floor.

Oh man.....these babies just SING! They really are just such cool, well-built drums. After a quick wipe-down, I tweaked the heads a bit and WOW. I simply couldn't stop jamming on them LOL. I'm running almost new EC2's on the toms and they just are simply the best sounding toms I've heard in quite a while--full, fat, punchy and lots of sustain, esp without moongels. Stock batter on the kick but with a Remo Muff'l underneath. Very nice punch. And the snare...wow. Stock batter with a thin zero-ring & it just kills! I could NOT stop playing it today. Rimshots, crossticks, everything on this baby sounds perfect. I (almost) had to force myself to stop & put it all away, haha.

It's good to take a rare day like this and just putz around a bit. Anyone else ever do this? I often feel like I'm "ignoring" my kits when I'm not gigging them on a regular basis.
 

bzzfkt

DFO Veteran
Joined
Aug 2, 2008
Messages
1,642
Reaction score
18
Location
Indy west
That's great! Almost like having a new kit when you step back to one like that.

What color are they? Pics? (-I'm sure you knew that was coming!) :)
 

troutstudio

Idealist
Joined
Oct 10, 2007
Messages
4,095
Reaction score
334
Location
South of the border
singleordoubleheads said:
Happen to be on vaca the next few days (yay!) & so after I got all my chores done today, I decided to get my Vistalite kit out for some cleaning and general tlc. I'm so busy most of the time that unless I'm gigging one of my kits, I don't even see it--it's resting safely in cases in the corner. I didn't really feel like doing a full set up, since I was going to do this off my porch outside, & it's VERY HOT inside or out. I really don't like playing without any cymbals, but didn't feel like messing around too much, so I did throw up one crash, but no other cyms or even hats. Just kick/snare/rack/floor/floor.

Oh man.....these babies just SING! They really are just such cool, well-built drums. After a quick wipe-down, I tweaked the heads a bit and WOW. I simply couldn't stop jamming on them LOL. I'm running almost new EC2's on the toms and they just are simply the best sounding toms I've heard in quite a while--full, fat, punchy and lots of sustain, esp without moongels. Stock batter on the kick but with a Remo Muff'l underneath. Very nice punch. And the snare...wow. Stock batter with a thin zero-ring & it just kills! I could NOT stop playing it today. Rimshots, crossticks, everything on this baby sounds perfect. I (almost) had to force myself to stop & put it all away, haha.

It's good to take a rare day like this and just putz around a bit. Anyone else ever do this? I often feel like I'm "ignoring" my kits when I'm not gigging them on a regular basis.
Until you get them out and play them - then you go "that's why I still have it!" You have described the time that pretty much encapsulates collecting. Glad you enjoyed it. Did you take a pic?
 

rayboomboom

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 19, 2009
Messages
283
Reaction score
17
Location
Northern New Mexico
Sounds like fun!!

Pics or it didn't happen ;}

I don't really have an extra kit to play really, but I'll putz with hardware setups and just general goofing. Like Tinker Toys for adults you know.
 

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Joined
Apr 29, 2013
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
365
Location
south of the 'burgh
Thanks guys. They are clear, 2011 reissues, bought brand new in Feb of 2011. I did take a few phone pics today, but (sorry about this), I don't know how in the heck to post photos here. I have tons of cool pics I could share, but I just don't know how to actually go about it.

I was playing outside, but my porch is semi-enclosed, so I got a lot of natural ambience mixed with a great acoustical environment (I live out in the country). If it just wasn't so darn HOT....
 

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Joined
Apr 29, 2013
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
365
Location
south of the 'burgh
rayboomboom said:
Sounds like fun!!

Pics or it didn't happen ;}

I don't really have an extra kit to play really, but I'll putz with hardware setups and just general goofing. Like Tinker Toys for adults you know.
Ha! Very funny on the Tinker Toy reference! It's fun to "unplug" a little bit once in a while--it's just hard to find the time most days. I guess that's what vacations are for, right?
 

Chonson

Very well Known Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2009
Messages
620
Reaction score
34
Location
Los Angeles, CA
singleordoubleheads said:
Thanks guys. They are clear, 2011 reissues, bought brand new in Feb of 2011. I did take a few phone pics today, but (sorry about this), I don't know how in the heck to post photos here. I have tons of cool pics I could share, but I just don't know how to actually go about it.

I was playing outside, but my porch is semi-enclosed, so I got a lot of natural ambience mixed with a great acoustical environment (I live out in the country). If it just wasn't so darn HOT....
I had a 2011 set, clear as well. Hell of a fun kit to play - always surprised me how warm sounding they were. Very fun. Great tone.
 

rayboomboom

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 19, 2009
Messages
283
Reaction score
17
Location
Northern New Mexico
singleordoubleheads said:
Sounds like fun!!

Pics or it didn't happen ;}

I don't really have an extra kit to play really, but I'll putz with hardware setups and just general goofing. Like Tinker Toys for adults you know.
Ha! Very funny on the Tinker Toy reference! It's fun to "unplug" a little bit once in a while--it's just hard to find the time most days. I guess that's what vacations are for, right?
Vacations?! I usually have to leave town for a vacation - too much to do at work and home. Sometimes I sneak a little time in when I'm at the house alone for a couple days. Which usually means up late, but goofing and having fun - coffee is your friend ;}
 

Treviso1

DFO Master
Joined
Feb 25, 2015
Messages
4,900
Reaction score
962
Location
Michigan
singleordoubleheads said:
Happen to be on vaca the next few days (yay!) & so after I got all my chores done today, I decided to get my Vistalite kit out for some cleaning and general tlc. I'm so busy most of the time that unless I'm gigging one of my kits, I don't even see it--it's resting safely in cases in the corner. I didn't really feel like doing a full set up, since I was going to do this off my porch outside, & it's VERY HOT inside or out. I really don't like playing without any cymbals, but didn't feel like messing around too much, so I did throw up one crash, but no other cyms or even hats. Just kick/snare/rack/floor/floor.

Oh man.....these babies just SING! They really are just such cool, well-built drums. After a quick wipe-down, I tweaked the heads a bit and WOW. I simply couldn't stop jamming on them LOL. I'm running almost new EC2's on the toms and they just are simply the best sounding toms I've heard in quite a while--full, fat, punchy and lots of sustain, esp without moongels. Stock batter on the kick but with a Remo Muff'l underneath. Very nice punch. And the snare...wow. Stock batter with a thin zero-ring & it just kills! I could NOT stop playing it today. Rimshots, crossticks, everything on this baby sounds perfect. I (almost) had to force myself to stop & put it all away, haha.

It's good to take a rare day like this and just putz around a bit. Anyone else ever do this? I often feel like I'm "ignoring" my kits when I'm not gigging them on a regular basis.
What sizes do you have? I have a large Blue double bass Vistalite kit from 2010 and an Austin era Fibes in Bonham sizes from 2003 that I just love as well. The drums are very FAT sounding, they feel good to play on and they are very easy to tune. The fundamental note of each drum is very pronounced and hits you in the chest. I am running clear ambassadors top and bottom on all the toms and they just kill.
 

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Joined
Apr 29, 2013
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
365
Location
south of the 'burgh
rayboomboom said:
Sounds like fun!!

Pics or it didn't happen ;}

I don't really have an extra kit to play really, but I'll putz with hardware setups and just general goofing. Like Tinker Toys for adults you know.
Ha! Very funny on the Tinker Toy reference! It's fun to "unplug" a little bit once in a while--it's just hard to find the time most days. I guess that's what vacations are for, right?
Vacations?! I usually have to leave town for a vacation - too much to do at work and home. Sometimes I sneak a little time in when I'm at the house alone for a couple days. Which usually means up late, but goofing and having fun - coffee is your friend ;}



Oh, I hear ya on that (vacations)! I've been busier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest LOL! Even tho I'm on "vaca", I still somehow manage to feel guilty if I don't get x-amount of work done every day. But my Vistas needed some love....
 

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Joined
Apr 29, 2013
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
365
Location
south of the 'burgh
Treviso1 said:
Happen to be on vaca the next few days (yay!) & so after I got all my chores done today, I decided to get my Vistalite kit out for some cleaning and general tlc. I'm so busy most of the time that unless I'm gigging one of my kits, I don't even see it--it's resting safely in cases in the corner. I didn't really feel like doing a full set up, since I was going to do this off my porch outside, & it's VERY HOT inside or out. I really don't like playing without any cymbals, but didn't feel like messing around too much, so I did throw up one crash, but no other cyms or even hats. Just kick/snare/rack/floor/floor.

Oh man.....these babies just SING! They really are just such cool, well-built drums. After a quick wipe-down, I tweaked the heads a bit and WOW. I simply couldn't stop jamming on them LOL. I'm running almost new EC2's on the toms and they just are simply the best sounding toms I've heard in quite a while--full, fat, punchy and lots of sustain, esp without moongels. Stock batter on the kick but with a Remo Muff'l underneath. Very nice punch. And the snare...wow. Stock batter with a thin zero-ring & it just kills! I could NOT stop playing it today. Rimshots, crossticks, everything on this baby sounds perfect. I (almost) had to force myself to stop & put it all away, haha.

It's good to take a rare day like this and just putz around a bit. Anyone else ever do this? I often feel like I'm "ignoring" my kits when I'm not gigging them on a regular basis.
What sizes do you have? I have a large Blue double bass Vistalite kit from 2010 and an Austin era Fibes in Bonham sizes from 2003 that I just love as well. The drums are very FAT sounding, they feel good to play on and they are very easy to tune. The fundamental note of each drum is very pronounced and hits you in the chest. I am running clear ambassadors top and bottom on all the toms and they just kill.
As far as sizes go: 22 x 16 bass, 12 x 8 rack, 14 x 14 floor w/legs, 16 x 16 floor w/legs. You are correct--VERY fat sounding at the fundamental note. I ran the stock tom batters till recently & put some new EC2's on & they sound even better imho. I do want to try a different kick batter (maybe an EMAD2 or Hydro), but right now the stock Ludwig with a Remo Muff'l is sounding pretty darn good. I was running the rack off a snare stand until recently (kick is virgin), but for better stability & tom resonance, I went ahead and put a Vibraband mount on it, and mount it on a DW single-tom holder. I then mount my left-side crash off the back of it from a simple multi-clamp. Works great and the tom REALLY sings now. When I bought them (early 2011) I did consider a Bonzo-sized kit, but I already have big shell sizes on my Mapex (13/16/18/24) & decided to go a little more middle-of-the-road with these, for space (and price) reasons.

My only (minor) gripe about the kit is the floor tom legs. No matter how tight I crank them, they always seem on the verge of coming loose, and the feet/tip are very tiny with a miniscule thin rubber tip, whereas my cheap Accent floor tom legs have big, fat feet and feel so much more secure when I set them up. I may look into seeing if I can run the Accent legs on the Vista floor brackets.
 


Top