Just got back from the worst concert in my life !

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
For me, bad shows were more about the sound quality at the venue rather than musicianship or effort by the performer. The Carrier Dome in Syracuse is an acoustic nightmare in my opinion. I've gone to concerts by Springsteen and the Rolling Stones there, and although I enjoyed both to some degree, the sound quality resulting from extensive reverberation left me a bit disappointed. In contrast, I saw The Who and MacCarney at large outdoor stadiums and the sound quality was excellent.
Yes, but to me it was combination, it wasn't bad acoustics, it was simply bad sound. unintelligible at times, some I didnt even know what the song was.
It was like, turn this thing off.

W&A Player

DFO Master
Reaction score
There are some performers who are seemingly incapable of ever putting on a bad show. James Taylor comes to mind. He changes things from one performance to the next. Even the songs that he's performed thousands of times over the years have a freshness to them because of his mastery of turning a phrase a little differently or changing his inflection of a phrase from how we expected it to be. Many subtle nuances add spontaneity to his performances.

Frank Godiva

Reaction score
I saw lots of Dead shows in the early 90s..... Not Garcias best work, but at least you knew it was not auto-tuned or lip synced.... yikes.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I walked out of a Van Halen concert way back during one of the last shows Roth did before the breakup. They were sloppy drunk forgetting the songs, cursing, stumbling, etc. Left mid show. A friend walked out of a Santana show because Carlos stopped the show several times to express his political views...Kinda sucks to pay decent cash to see someone and support their music and then this nonsense happens...

Swamptrashstompboxes

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that you never got to see him on his good days. I last saw BB in 1992 during his BB King's Blues All Stars tour. His band killed it as usual. First time I ever saw Eric Johnson too. But that show was a who's who of blues greats. I think EJ and Buddy Guy are the only ones who played that show that are still with us.
Yeah that would have been a killer show! I do have to see buddy guy while he is around.

MasterBlaster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw Aerosmith mid-'70s and parade rest security guards were 15' out from the stage, on the floor, with a rail 5' in front of them - guarding them? I'd seen a lotta concerts but I'd never seen that before. Decades later, watching a VF1 special on them I found out that was at a weird time for them - can't remember the reason. I know it was the height of their drug use and infighting... just couldn't understand why they wanted the audience so far away from them.

The Tubes was interesting. No opening act - just a show that was repeated twice that evening - one show @ 8 pm, another @ 11. I'd never seen that before, either. It was a good, different kinda show/concert.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Also i am really glad I didn't see
B.B. King towards the end either. He was rough the last few years from what I hear.
I saw BB a year before he passed. He was still excellent. It was the 5th time I'd seen him.

I will say that I'm so tired of politics that when I go to a concert the LAST thing I want is some "entertainer" telling me about the world.

Play your songs - I'm hear to listen to YOUR music. I can get inundated with political nonsense on the internet, I don't care to hear it from a band.

Rick

Reaction score
Patti Austin a couple of years ago was probably the worst I have seen. I was there to see Spyro Gyra and they were opening for Patti Austin. It should have been the other way around. Her singing wasn't bad, just not great. And her band appeared to be a bunch of "hired guns" that looked like they hadn't played together before. They were all reading charts and just did not sound tight. Of course, it's hard to sound tight following Spyro Gyra! Anyway, this was just after the 2016 presidential election and Ms. Austin was not having it. She got all political and spent about as much time ranting as she did singing. I almost walked out.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I heard The Who in 1989 from my apartment 2.5 miles away. Glad I didn't go see them in person.

Rick

Reaction score
I heard The Who in 1989 from my apartment 2.5 miles away. Glad I didn't go see them in person.
Oh that reminds me. I saw Bon Jovi (wife wanted to go) about 10 or 12 years ago. Great concert, actually. But it was in a big arena and was ear-splittingly loud. I made the fatal mistake of not bringing ear plugs and ended up having to sit the whole time with my fingers in my ears. It was literally so loud it was painful.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Patti Austin a couple of years ago was probably the worst I have seen. I was there to see Spyro Gyra and they were opening for Patti Austin. It should have been the other way around. Her singing wasn't bad, just not great. And her band appeared to be a bunch of "hired guns" that looked like they hadn't played together before. They were all reading charts and just did not sound tight. Of course, it's hard to sound tight following Spyro Gyra! Anyway, this was just after the 2016 presidential election and Ms. Austin was not having it. She got all political and spent about as much time ranting as she did singing. I almost walked out.
As soon as I see an entertainer talk politics, I'm done! Entertainers get paid to entertain and that's it. I can't stand when they think that being famous makes them more righteous or an authority on any given subject.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I feel anyone who says they’ve been the worst show ever hasn’t seen Counting Crows. Until you see them you haven’t seen the worst show ever.
Saw my first show in '71; Canned Heat opening for Quicksilver Messenger Service. Saw many shows since then. A lot. One of the best I've ever seen was a Counting Crows show. Go figure...

chollyred

Reaction score
Worst two I ever saw was John Prine at Symphony Hall and ELO at the OMNI. Mac McAnally opened for John Prine and was terrific. John came on and within 15 minutes, we were ready to go. ELO at the OMNI show was just SO overproduced that it might as well have been lip synced. Even the between song banter sounded recorded.

Because of the political thing, I don't go see concerts anymore. I couldn't care less what their opinions are, I just want to see a good show.

Dragonlordapocalypse

Reaction score
Saw my first show in '71; Canned Heat opening for Quicksilver Messenger Service. Saw many shows since then. A lot. One of the best I've ever seen was a Counting Crows show. Go figure...
You ever been really excited to see a band and then the singer flat out refuses to sing anything like the song is written? I’m totally happy when things are played or sang differently but this dude goes out of his way to absolutely butcher his own songs (just my opinion). And he is a great lyricist/vocalist too!

Trommeslager

Reaction score
As soon as I see an entertainer talk politics, I'm done! Entertainers get paid to entertain and that's it. I can't stand when they think that being famous makes them more righteous or an authority on any given subject.
It so much better to never hear opinions you don't like. That way you mind never changes!

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Too much money and a microphone can push some into a messianic state of mind .

A well written song can, by itself , deliver a message . An even better written song , by imagery and poetic license , encourages people to make up their own minds .

Some have theatrical charisma , some don't . That's just the way it is .

Anybody who pays ridiculous concert prices to hear opinions they like just got fleeced... they deserve what they get .

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It so much better to never hear opinions you don't like. That way you mind never changes!
I truly don't believe in that statement. I have an open mind and understand that listening to others educates me. If I didn't practice that, I wouldn't be on this forum. Part of life is listening to others whether you feel they are right or wrong. Then it's up to you to choose whether you wan't to use that information to change your mind. If you don't allow your mind to ever change then you will walk thru life as a self centered egotistic person. So I don't think that's the issue here! The issue is that if I pay for something (a concert), I expect to get my moneys worth without anything extra that isn't part of the entertainment (political views).

Latest posts