Just got back from the worst concert in my life !

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
For the most part that is very true. Intelligence in a response is usually measured in the persons ability to use logic, reasoning and articulation. The only flaw in that is that you can't generalize everybody under that label. Because: If somebody hits a hot button (for example. they insult a family member) then intelligence is thrown out the window and emotions take over. So it depends on the argument being presented. When you feel that you need to defend yourself (or somebody close to you), you will use emotion even if your IQ is off the charts. Also note that emotion and articulation is not meant to be compared equally. I can write you a short emotional response and at the same time I can write you a logical & rational book long response using zero emotions. So the recipient needs to be the one to decide if it's emotional or rational.
What it means is, that a person gets emotional about an opinion because he is not educated on that issue. Insulting someone is different from that. Logic, reasoning and articulation, are not education on a subject. People educated on a subject can have strongly differing opinions, but won't get emotional about the academics. I assert that spouting politics at a concert is showing a lack of education because it assumes that there is no other opinion that can be right. They are opining on emotion only, hence the bad judgement. Ace

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What it means is, that a person gets emotional about an opinion because he is not educated on that issue. Insulting someone is different from that. Logic, reasoning and articulation, are not education on a subject. People educated on a subject can have strongly differing opinions, but won't get emotional about the academics. I assert that spouting politics at a concert is showing a lack of education because it assumes that there is no other opinion that can be right. They are opining on emotion only, hence the bad judgement. Ace
Yes, I can agree to that. Even though the part of non emotion is not always accurate as a measure of intelligence. Sometimes even the most intelligent people get emotional on a subject and stray away from the topic at hand. I think that makes us human. I know many very smart people that can blind themselves when discussing something because they get emotional. But what you have stated is correct. I just don't think we can generalize everyone's intelligence into one camp by assuming that an emotional response makes the person less smart.
LRod

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been to many shows at the previous Tupelo Music Hall location, but have only seen comedy shows at the new location. Interesting to hear that you think the new place has bad acoustics.
Our biggest venue around here is the SNHU Arena, formerly the Verizon Center, and the sound is really poor from some seats.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I shall move on to other threads. This one got derailed and I was part of it. Sorry!:(

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, I can agree to that. Even though the part of non emotion is not always accurate as a measure of intelligence. Sometimes even the most intelligent people get emotional on a subject and stray away from the topic at hand. I think that makes us human. I know many very smart people that can blind themselves when discussing something because they get emotional. But what you have stated is correct. I just don't think we can generalize everyone's intelligence into one camp by assuming that an emotional response makes the person less smart.
LRod
Truth is not an intellectual concept . A good trial lawyer mixes them to an emotional distraction .

Most people don't like dentists ... until they have a toothache .

JAZZFAN

Reaction score
The worst for me was seeing The Atlanta Rhythm Section in the late 1970s. Their radio hits sounded fine but live (at least in this particular situation), they were IMHO horrible!!!

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Truth is not an intellectual concept . A good trial lawyer mixes them to an emotional distraction .

Most people don't like dentists ... until they have a toothache .
Thanks for that but I'm back to the original topic out of respect to the OP: "The worst concerts!"

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t think art is like ordering a hamburger at Burger King where you get to “have it your way.” Buying a ticket entitles you to the performance, nothing more. You don't get to dictate the parameters of how the artist expresses themselves.

Bad sound, sightlines etc. are valid complaints about a bad concert. I hate Ted Nugent’s racist rants at his shows but he and his band were on fire when I saw him. Never wanted to see him but got stuck with him as the opener. As much as I can’t stand the guy’s stage raps, I can’t say it was a bad performance.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I don't equate intelligence with education. A high IQ doesn't mean a person has common sense. Common sense has it's limitations because it made many think that the world was flat for a long time. Truth is hard to find. The scientific method changed the world. Ace

ThomFloor

Reaction score
Worst concert was Steve Miller, mid 80's 'Abracadabra'. First show I ever went to that had a 'live broadcast' on closed circuit TV, and Steve had to pause for ...commercials.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Too many Oreos , excuse me .
No not to many Oreos, Maybe you hadn't read all the other posts up to now and I should have assumed that. The subject had already been beaten to death and derailed the OP's original topic. Sorry if my answer sounded cold. I didn't mean any disrespect. That wasn't my intention. I apologize!

KevinD

Reaction score
EDIT: Not that it is really important, but for the posterity of the interwebs, after speaking to my dad earlier I have some corrections.

The concert was not in Newburgh, NY, but at Carnegie Hall.. My dad seemed to think it was in May or June of 1962..

Did some Googling..sure enough, May 10, 1962. (he is 81 and thankfully has not lost a step in the memory department)

According to the site below, there were only two songs played
Mr Garfield and Give My Love to Rose.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/johnny-cash/1962/carnegie-hall-new-york-ny-13c0a5f1.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can't say I have had any terrible concert experiences myself, but it reminded me of a story.
In about 1962, on one of their first dates, my dad took my mom to see Johnny Cash at Carnegie Hall in NYC.

My dad had seen Johnny a few times and was a big fan, my mom was not familiar with him.
Johnny came out on stage looking a little unsteady, sang a few notes then passed out on stage.
They got him, up but he kept going down for the count... that was it for the show.
My mom was not impressed.
It didn't work out too well for Johnny that night, but I guess it did for my folks
Years later, after they were married my dad wanted to go see Johnny again, but mom said "no thanks." :)
Apparently that was a fairly common occurrence with Johnny in those days because there was a similar scene depicted in the Johnny Cash movie a few years ago.

Last edited:

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Bryan Adams somewhere back in the late 80s. I took my girlfriend because she loved him. He was just awful. Even worse was Metallica. I saw them on their Black Album tour, early 90s maybe? I was really disappointed with them and have never liked them since.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I have seen good concerts at the Houston Rodeo and Live Stock Show, including Brooks and Dunn, but the last ZZ Top concert there, you heard no bass. Sound ruined the show. Very disappointed. Ace
P.S. Went to see Wilie Nelson in Austin back in the 70s. He put on a great show. They turned off the microphone at midnight. Willie must have been drunk. Started falling all over the place screaming, "You cut off my balls!!!" Laugh! Some were shocked, but I laughed my ass off. Ace