Just got back from the worst concert in my life !

m_anderson

Reaction score
The worst show I saw was Aerosmith - in the 80's. Dio opened for them - Holy Diver tour and just KILLED it (Tommy Alderidge has those massive Yamaha's). Then Aerosmith came on stage, drunk and high, steven tyler fell down, they couldn't play, we left.
Fortunately, I can say just the opposite. Aerosmith played a lot in the northeast after their first album kinda flopped. They toured hard. I saw them in 1974 right when the second album was released at a place named Painters Mill in Owings Mills, MD. The band that opened for them was completely unknown and had just released their first album. The band was named KISS. What an extraordinary night that was. Third row seats too.

m_anderson

Reaction score
Jimi Hendrix, The Kinks, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, U2, Mountain, Yes, Janis Joplin, The Who.... I mean the list goes on...
I can feel your pain, but I think we all know those days are long gone. I am not one to go in for the nostalgia tours.

trappemann

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My wife saw Christopher Cross when he was new and said he stunk the place up!

I was a big Robert Cray fan. His sound is always great as is his playing. He got political one night in my hometown. Good Bye Robert!

best quote from this thread...
"Meatloaf however would vocally divebomb past the intended note and end up.... well... in a meaty gargle of sadness."

Now that is a lyric unto itself!

Well played polycrescendo! Well played!

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
No not to many Oreos, Maybe you hadn't read all the other posts up to now and I should have assumed that. The subject had already been beaten to death and derailed the OP's original topic. Sorry if my answer sounded cold. I didn't mean any disrespect. That wasn't my intention. I apologize![/Q

My best friends will occasionally grab me by the shoulders and tell me to shut the **** up for a minute or so .

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Worst concert in my life was at an elementary school. A school that I attended as a kid.

I was a member of the band from 3rd grade to 8th grade (1971-1977) as a trumpet player. Our Director, Mr. Fred Francis had us playing charts like "Highlights From Jesus Christ Superstar" (he even played bass), Traces, Theme from The Waltons, and other really cool stuff.

I still live in the same town, so naturally my daughters attended the same school, and both joined the band playing flute. With the background above in mind, imagine attending a concert and hearing "the band would now like to play for you 'Hot Cross Buns'"....plus another 1.5 hours of similar drivel. (How does a program fall so far in 23 years?) *sigh*

Yea...that would be my "worst concert of my life"....

Johnny K

Reaction score
Fortunately, I can say just the opposite. Aerosmith played a lot in the northeast after their first album kinda flopped. They toured hard. I saw them in 1974 right when the second album was released at a place named Painters Mill in Owings Mills, MD. The band that opened for them was completely unknown and had just released their first album. The band was named KISS. What an extraordinary night that was. Third row seats too.
I remember that place. Rotating stage. I saw George Carlin there in 1980.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A few memorably bad concerts for me were: 1. Red Hot Chili Peppers: saw them around 2007 and they were a boring mess with a fabulous rhythm section that looked they were working too hard to compensate for the other half of the band. I especially felt bad for Flea who was giving us his all & was probably frustrated too.

2: I've seen Maceo Parker several times. Some have been among the best shows of my life. I went down to Boston to see MMW/Maceo around 1996 & while I was waiting to get in I heard someone talking about a terrible percussionist who looked like JBs grandfather on crack who played with Maceo the night before. I laughed it off thinking to myself that the guy had no idea what he was talking about. Well, after a fabulous set of Medeski, Martin & Wood doing what they do (never the same way twice) Maceo hit the stage. Lo & behold there was a percussionist who looked like the aforementioned description, but more importantly played like the aforementioned description, which is to say quite horribly. I had the feeling that Mr Parker threw a few gigs to the guy because he knew him back in the day or something.

As for artists political viewpoints...well, they don't always charm me but also don't always keep me from enjoying their music. Doesn't keep me from listening to Prince, Snoop, Rungren, MInor Threat, Buju Banton, THe Cranberries & probably a good big chunk of my collection. If I had to agree entirely with the beliefs of an artist to enjoy them I would probably only have D.E.V.O. records.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
I saw The Cars on the Heartbeat City tour. They were good musically but boring as hell onstage - absolutely no life and no interaction.

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
Moody Blues 1984...forgotten words,cracked high notes,blown endings...I couldn't believe what I was hearing...I remember lol'ing a few times.
No matter...I only went because SRV & Double Trouble was the opening act and he-they blew them completely off the stage.

bkny110

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Saw my first show in '71; Canned Heat opening for Quicksilver Messenger Service. Saw many shows since then. A lot. One of the best I've ever seen was a Counting Crows show. Go figure...
Wow! Canned Heat and Quicksilver in "71! Man, how could you even see them through the pot smoke and even more surprising, how could you remember the show!

jmato

Reaction score
I feel anyone who says they’ve been the worst show ever hasn’t seen Counting Crows. Until you see them you haven’t seen the worst show ever.
Counting Crows is my worst show ever too. Roughly 2015. Every arrangement was a mess, with only a passing resemblance to something we went there to hear. It was completely self-indulgent and, well, boring. A shame.

icetech

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Worst concert i have ever seen was bout 7 years ago here in detroit at freedom hill.. CSN.. it was raining and cold, and the guys sounded like they couldn't hear each other.. actually walked out before half way through :(

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
I saw the Blues Bros outside the Slippery Noodle in Indy,(which the BBs called the 'Slip Me Your Noodle') the music was actually great but the PA was cranked sssssssSO LOUD it was actually painful near the stage. I guess they wanted to draw in everyone downtown. There was Duck, Steve, Blue Lou, Matt, a young drummer (Deitch?) and Eddie Floyd and others.
When Floyd came out, as he sang, he sweated profusely and used both hands to 'squeegee' volumes of sweat off of his face which he then flung on the audience. After the first shower, I sheltered behind a lady with big hair who was in the front. Eddie continued this throughout the tune but when Blue Lou came stage front for his solo, Floyd proceeded to wipe his sweat onto Lou's long hair while Lou played, Lou had a look of disgust in his face and returned to the horn section looking like he'd just washed his hair. That's the strangest behavior I've seen on stage, excepting the punkers, one of which ate the other's puke, but we won't go there, oops.

SlingyFan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Worst I saw was Phish a few years ago. I have no doubt those guys are talented musicians, but wow are their songs awful. Aimless noodling with out of key nursery rhyme lyrics. No stage presence and super awkward banter. I didn't get it, left before the end of the first set.

spazapproved

Reaction score
man that sucks to hear.
Nothing worse than a bad concert.
Except if you REALLY REALLY wanted to go and then got the major let down of disappointment

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
So many bad I can't choose. But I do remember the first big disappointment at a show. Was in High school and I went to Motley Crew in mid 80's. Autograph opened for them and they had a couple of songs that were popular on the radio. When I heard them live I couldn't believe it was really them. So stiff, bad vocals and just nothing like their studio sound. It was when I first realized that the studio engineers are often the best member of the band.
Oh yea and M. Crew just played so loud you couldn't tell if was good or bad just ear-ringing guitar and exploding fire pots on stage that you could feel 75 feet away.

Latest posts