Just got brushes as a Christmas gift

Talktotommy

Reaction score
I would be interested as well. Never was very good with the brushes. Saw some videos of Elvis‘s drummer DJ Fontana giving some instruction and playing brushes which is pretty good.

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would be interested as well. Never was very good with the brushes. Saw some videos of Elvis‘s drummer DJ Fontana giving some instruction and playing brushes which is pretty good.
That’s a great resource!

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
any suggestions on a good source for some instruction and technique? Thanks
First, congratulations. Learning brushes is a step towards being an all-around drummer. I am going to assume that you are not a jazz musician and that you probably play match grip. This video is tailor made for you because it shows how to apply brushes to music *other* than jazz, and dispels the notion that you need to play them using traditional grip.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Clayton Cameron has a great book called "Brushworks". Also check out Peter Erskine on YouTube - he has some great tutorials.
Cameron is not for the faint of heart or beginners :) Erskine is an exceptional drummer, but I am not fond of his speaking style. He rambles. A more approachable instructor who has a YouTube presence is Ed Soph. He is kind of irascible, but he is an excellent teacher. Jason Sutter is my second choice recommendation for non-jazz drummers who want to gain proficiency with brushes, but not necessarily jazz. Don't get me wrong - jazz is my first love, but I had to refactor stick grooves for other genres into brush patterns, and while I am well versed in jazz brushes, the two videos that I recommend were a lot more help than delving into Ed Thigpen, Clayton Cameron, and the Steve Smith DVD featuring legendary brush masters.

Here is Sutter's video:

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Cameron is not for the faint of heart or beginners :) Erskine is an exceptional drummer, but I am not fond of his speaking style. He rambles. A more approachable instructor who has a YouTube presence is Ed Soph. He is kind of irascible, but he is an excellent teacher. Jason Sutter is my second choice recommendation for non-jazz drummers who want to gain proficiency with brushes, but not necessarily jazz. Don't get me wrong - jazz is my first love, but I had to refactor stick grooves for other genres into brush patterns, and while I am well versed in jazz brushes, the two videos that I recommend were a lot more help than delving into Ed Thigpen, Clayton Cameron, and the Steve Smith DVD featuring legendary brush masters.

Here is Sutter's video:
Have not seen that before - excellent. Brushes is an art form in and of itself.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
First, as a practical matter, to preserve the wires from getting snagged and mangled too soon, don’t extend them all the way out. Second, there’s no better way to learn to play brushes than to watch a great brush player play close up. There are many patterns and techniques you can use to create different effects that you can learn by watching. You are limited only by your imagination. Private lessons will also do.

Last edited:

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
First, congratulations. Learning brushes is a step towards being an all-around drummer. I am going to assume that you are not a jazz musician and that you probably play match grip. This video is tailor made for you because it shows how to apply brushes to music *other* than jazz, and dispels the notion that you need to play them using traditional grip.
100% correct as if you know me

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Here is Sutter's video:
To the OP, this video is a good example of watching. I haven’t seen the whole video yet. But, just want to say don’t be intimidated by the opening song which is a waltz. Waltzes are inherently advanced brush playing.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I so want to go there and try them but too much on my plate right now.

Soon though, I'm paying attention.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
and ultimately bandstand.
(best all I got.
-
"What's a bandstand old man?"
"Oh it was an old contraption that usually had a Fire extinguisher on it"
-