Just got brushes as a Christmas gift

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Looking through all 7 Ed Soph lessons. Well done.
Do bear in mind that if the OP is not a jazz player or wants to be one, Soph is not going to be as immediately useful as Alexandru-Zorn. I personally love Soph. Early on circa 2004 when I reconnected with drumming I purchased one of Soph's DVDs and became an immediate fan. But ... I had jazz in my heart and soul and that was the path that I was on. Had I been rock (or even blues) oriented, Soph would not have grabbed and held my attention. Years later when I was doing pop and some very old rock and old country, Alexandru-Zorn's DVD came out and it did for me what Soph (and Ed Thigpen, Clayton Cameron and Steve Smith/Adam Nussbaum) did for me for jazz brushes. However, back in 2004 I would have skipped over Alexandru-Zorn's DVD. It all depends on where one wants to go ...

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do bear in mind that if the OP is not a jazz player or wants to be one, Soph is not going to be as immediately useful as Alexandru-Zorn. I personally love Soph. Early on circa 2004 when I reconnected with drumming I purchased one of Soph's DVDs and became an immediate fan. But ... I had jazz in my heart and soul and that was the path that I was on. Had I been rock (or even blues) oriented, Soph would not have grabbed and held my attention. Years later when I was doing pop and some very old rock and old country, Alexandru-Zorn's DVD came out and it did for me what Soph (and Ed Thigpen, Clayton Cameron and Steve Smith/Adam Nussbaum) did for me for jazz brushes. However, back in 2004 I would have skipped over Alexandru-Zorn's DVD. It all depends on where one wants to go ...
Shhhhh! Don’t tell him it’s spinach.

Art Of Drumming

Reaction score
Hello dear community,

we have produced three new courses on brooming with Florian Alexandru-Zorn.
These are now available free of charge here:

Florian covers everything from basics to jazz to modern brush grooves.
So if you have time and muse, these courses are highly recommended.

If you have any questions or feedback, please don't hesitate to contact us!

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just put a Diplomat on my snare and it is a revelation for brushes compared to the Genera I had on it before.
Got my sound now, with rivets on my LS even. You guys are great coaches! Thanks