Just got my first 22" Trans Stamp!

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It feels soft and sweet and buttery but I was surprised at that; being a medium at 2656 grams. That's in the medium weight range for a 22", right?

It's got tape residue all over the bottom, and plenty of what I would consider a middle of the road amount of patina for a cymbal its age. I've seen younger cymbals with almost chocolate colored patina.

Iv'e only banged around on it a bit and not with a band yet, but I'm kind of thinking about polishing it back to almost new.
Ive read a lot over the years on websites this and Cymbalholic (RIP)(Hail Mary) that the patina and grime usually darken a cymbal's sound and subdue it, but do I want that? I play with a relatively loud, amplified rock band and I wouldn't mind having a bit more of the stick sound.
I guess my question is; by polishing it would I bring back qualities in the clean cymbal that would work better for my current musical situation?
I know that that isn't worded very eloquently, but I think you guys understand what I'm getting at.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Polishing it will just get you more wash and highs and it will make the stick sound seem quieter.
To me that weight is still in medium thin range approx 2400-2800.

Reactions: egw

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven't played it with a band yet, so I have no idea, I was just speaking in hypotheticals.

Was wondering if there was something in the frequencies it would get back that would make it perceived differently?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
whatever highs are there are going to come from the bell. You could try cleaning that area; (plus you get to rub a cup ; ..
Buying a Trans stamp build era
I play with a relatively loud, amplified rock band
what were you thinking. Wash,maybe?

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m not so sure if polishing will cause the sound to be brighter. Part of it is that the metal itself tends to mellow out over many years. So take an A Custom in same weight...in theory...new one will be brighter in sound.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I'll second what Tom said. Play it for a while as is before taking any major action like polishing. If you want more stick sound I'd try a Sofferman square of tape underneath where you tend to hit it. That's a square 2" on each side. But if your cymbal already has lots of tape (or residue) the Sofferman square might not have the same effect. :dontknow:

As far as weights for 22" go for 36 cymbals I have on record wearing Trans Stamps:

Lowest reliable weight 1900g
Quarter are below 2400g
Half are from 2400g to 2679g (median is about 2500g)
Next quarter are above 2680g
Heaviest reliable weight 3151g

Back in those days there were different weight classes and models, but the ink saying so is usually gone. I haven't yet got ink examples to guide us for 22" Trans Stamps. If the half of the distribution around the middle is what you would call Medium, then yeah yours is a Medium. We can be fairly sure the 1900g is Ex. Thin and above that in weight class comes Thin. But we don't have a good basis for working out the class boundaries yet. There were also models like Bounce, Ping and BeBop which were said to be heavier and or have different taper. Plus there were two or maybe three different bells in use. I look forward to pics so we might pick up something about the bell.

Note it's still early days for getting all the models, ink, and weight classes sorted out for decades of A Zildjian cymbals. I'm still hoping to have a "universal" set of weight ranges but it may turn out that we need to have decade specific ranges. Too soon to say.

Last edited:

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congrats!! Large Trans stamps are precious. Treat with love, you don't want to be the one to bring it to its demise. If you want more volume, I would humbly suggest using a different cymbal, because human nature is to lay into it more, and then it happens. Even on a ride.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I think I may have hinted at a problem that I don't have. I really like the cymbal. I'm really excited to use it in the group. It just made me think of patina in general and it's affects.
It feels like magic so far!

mbettis

Reaction score
On vintage cymbals, I generally clean them with soap and water, and leave the patina be. Who wants to come away with fifty years of drummer smeg on their fingers every time they touch their cymbal?

Matt

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On vintage cymbals, I generally clean them with soap and water, and leave the patina be. Who wants to come away with fifty years of drummer smeg on their fingers every time they touch their cymbal?

Matt
Wow. You paint such a vivid picture.

owr

Reaction score
2600 g on a 22” TS works just great for Rock n Roll IMO, I’ve been using one for years almost exclusively, unless your band has lots of busy instruments and you specifically want something dry and sparse.

Keep in mind some TS cymbals were lathed/finished in a way that they have a brilliant finish, even when dirty this shows through. My experience is these have a little extra sparkle, bright, more A like, less K like. Personally these are my favorite, many others lean the other way for obvious reasons. But if yours is the latter, cleaning it won’t necessarily make it look brilliant like some of the photos you see.

Congrats and post a picture!