Just got the Zildjian Custom Dark Box Set

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
I swapped a vintage kit at my local dealer. I've never owned an actual "set" of cymbals so I got the Custom Dark set..20, 18, 16, and 14 hats. For the most part, I really like them..although, I'm not crazy about the hats compared to my Master Sounds..they sound a bit trashy and less musical..I might get used to them..the other cymbals are very nice, though..sweet tone at all volumes....they get dirty looking pretty quickly, though..Lot's of finger prints after only one gig..I'm not one for cleaning cymbals, so I guess I'll just have to wait until they develop a nice patina..There is a promotion on now so I can get two Audio Technica drum mics when I send in the rebate form..bonus...

felis

Reaction score
I have that set and think all the cymbals are great.
I still like my New Beats a tiny bit better for all around hats, but it's probably mostly because I've used them for so long.
The KCD hats might work better for certain things though.
I'd bet that you'll come to really like the hats, and they might even become your favorites.

The KCD ride is my favorite of all the many rides I've had. I have two 20's and one 22" KCD.
Who's got the promo going on now, or is it a Zildjian thing?

Last edited:

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have that set and think all the cymbals are great.
I still like my New Beats a tiny bit better for all around hats, but it's probably mostly because I've used them for so long.
The KCD hats might work better for certain things though.

The KCD ride is my favorite of all the many rides I've had. I have two 20's and one 22" KCD.
Who's got the promo going on now, or is it a Zildjian thing?
Yeah..Zildjian has it until December..for every 300 dollars you get one free mic..I don't need them, but I'll take them anyway..

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
The K Custom Dark hats will grow on you once your ears become accustomed to their darker "chup" response.

The sonic difference from A. Mastersounds is apparent since they're way more "Chicky" and louder overall.

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
D119EDA0-4932-479C-8C59-D944908696BF.png
I’ve got two parts of that set, the KCD 20 ride and the 18 crash. Both are stellar.

The ride I bought used and has some odd markings, as if someone swirled ketchup on it for patina or tried to clean it with something that did not behave well with whatever Zildjian coats the series cymbal with. It’s a nice bronze-brown, though, and I’ve grown to like the odd coloring because because I’ve fallen for the cymbal.

My 18 crash is new, and you are correct it seems to pick up stick marks and such readily, actually some white smudges from nylon tipped sticks.

I only mention the visual in case you get a bug to clean them. Maybe some research first. Personally, like you, I just let them color as the Lord intended.

More important than looks of course is their sound. The KCD ride has, as you most likely know, a solid following. Its versatility is a big part of that. Not an overly loud cymbal either, which is what I got it for. The 18 crash is right now my only crash and it is wonderful.

I’ve never played the hats but I know any change there can take longer to adjust to. Excluding the odd klunker, I know that I need to spend time with cymbals before I can decide if they suit me. Sort of learn how to play them.

Here’s a picture of the duo ready to rumble.

D119EDA0-4932-479C-8C59-D944908696BF.png

eigentone

Reaction score
I bought one of those sets. It was a nice set and a good overall value. Ultimately, I went with Cons but I liked the KCDs enoguh to play them for several years. The K Custom Darks are a little more modern and well-suited for Rock. It's nice to have so many good options.

Yeah, you can't really clean them so just never get them dirty if you want them to maintain their brilliance.

Enjoy!