Just got word on my new delivery date of my AHM’s

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s my story. In June I ordered my new Absolute Hybrid Maple Kit (really a Shell pack) of the following sizes in Polar White:

14x22
7.5x10
8x12
9x13
15x16

I received the 12 and13 within a week since Yamaha USA had them.

The other drums would take 3-4 months since they had to be built in China.

Within a month I decided I wanted a 13x14 as well but that would not come in with the other drums.

So, it’s September and I called my shop to see what was doin’. My new ETA is November for the original order and December for the 14.

I also was able to snag a 6x14 AHM snare which was in stock. Not complaining, just giving an update.

Not gigging anyway so I’m not too tweaked out... ;-)

kevin klever

Reaction score
Yeah I ordered a hybrid maple bop set in october last year, took more than 6 months to come in. I assume the extra long wait due to covid. Worth the wait though, GREAT drums.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In 2010, I ordered a very basic Stage Custom Birch 3-piece in bop sizes (18/12/14) via Guitar Center. Bop kits in general were not as popular at the time as they are now, so it wasn't like stores had them in stock; they had to be ordered. It took about 2 1/2 months for the kit to arrive from China.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another delay in shipping? You had the same issue with the C&C's right? I'm sure you are disappointed, but hopefully they will arrive in November without an issue. In the meantime, you have some damn fine kits to play while you wait.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got my custom made (not in stock even in the warehouses) PHX 22x16 in less than 6 months. So it can be done.

Covid is shitting on the shipping as a mofo these months.

jaymandude

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I ordered a hybrid maple bop set in october last year, took more than 6 months to come in. I assume the extra long wait due to covid. Worth the wait though, GREAT drums.
Interesting. That you're a Gretsch guy, and love the new Ludwigs, and bought Yamaha. I din't know you worked at a shop, which is why all your cymbals sound effen great ...

kevin klever

Reaction score
20200515_173603 (1).jpg
IMG_20200420_120747 (1).jpg

Very cool tubs and very different than Gretsch, even with the diecast hoops. Took me actually a long time to figure out how to tune these - They're super full of overtones (at least with the coated ambies), and much brighter than the SSB bop set I was using regularly when I got these. Gretsch tune up in one second and they hold their tuning forever like a rock. These have a similar stick attack vibe as a Gretsch, but less "choked" and dry than Gretsch. I ordered these cause I wanted to explore a different sonic vibe (was listening to lots of modern guys like Marcus Gilmore, Eric Harland, Kweku Sumbry, Kendrick Scott, Ari Hoenig). Not that the drums they're using are a huge component of their sound, but for me the instrument sort of guides my ear to a different place and it's nice to hop on a different kit and see where it leads. Also I love Yamaha drums because everything WORKS - All the hardware is perfect. Tom mounts, spurs, lugs, tuning stability. No floor toms falling over on the gig or bass drums sliding around or finnicky rail mounts. I'm used to dealing with all that vintage stuff so it doesn't really bother me but it's kinda like driving a brand new rental car instead of my regular 30 year old beater - Feels really smooth and relaxing. That said I have barely any gigs anymore and tryna buy some Ks so these might be up for sale sometime soon........

Jay - These drums are actually the only thing I've ever bought from the shop. Up here in Canada it's super hard to find vintage drums and especially vintage cymbals. It's expensive to import them too. Most of the bronze I've ever got has been from buds on Cymbalholic, and on this forum, and occasionally from shops in the US when I used to tour down there (rip touring).

Sorry to derail your thread Dan! Let us know when the set comes in, I think you'll be really happy.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Also I love Yamaha drums because everything WORKS - All the hardware is perfect. Tom mounts, spurs, lugs, tuning stability. No floor toms falling over on the gig or bass drums sliding around or finnicky rail mounts.
Yep. This is precisely why I play Yamaha. I love the hardware/components/design above everything else.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 460621

Very cool tubs and very different than Gretsch, even with the diecast hoops. Took me actually a long time to figure out how to tune these - They're super full of overtones (at least with the ambies), and much brighter than the SSB bop set I was using regularly when I got these. Gretsch tune up in one second and they hold their tuning forever like a rock. These have a similar stick attack vibe as a Gretsch, but less "choked" and dry than Gretsch. I ordered these cause I wanted to explore a different sonic vibe (was listening to lots of modern guys like Marcus Gilmore, Eric Harland, Kweku Sumbry, Kendrick Scott, Ari Hoenig). Not that the drums they're using are a huge component of their sound, but for me the instrument sort of guides my ear to a different place and it's nice to hop on a different kit and see where it leads. Also I love Yamaha drums because everything WORKS - All the hardware is perfect. Tocoatedm mounts, spurs, lugs, tuning stability. No floor toms falling over on the gig or bass drums sliding around or finnicky rail mounts. I'm used to dealing with all that vintage stuff so it doesn't really bother me but it's kinda like driving a brand new rental car instead of my regular 30 year old beater - Feels really smooth and relaxing. That said I have barely any gigs anymore and tryna buy some Ks so these might be up for sale sometime soon........

Jay - These drums are actually the only thing I've ever bought from the shop. Up here in Canada it's super hard to find vintage drums and especially vintage cymbals. It's expensive to import them too. Most of the bronze I've ever got has been from buds on Cymbalholic, and on this forum, and occasionally from shops in the US when I used to tour down there (rip touring).

Sorry to derail your thread Dan! Let us know when the set comes in, I think you'll be really happy.
I have seen Japanetsch..

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jazzcrimes

Reaction score
They're really not "Japanese Gretsch," though. They play differently. Kevin does a good job explaining above. "Everything works" is really such a strong and accurate statement.

I've been meaning to take the logo head off my bop kit and this photo really convinced me.
I really have a mental block buying Chinese made Yamaha - it’s my own issue, but it is what it is. But after looking for a few months at new kits, I’m kicking myself for selling my old MCA kit and/or not picking up a MCA or Sakae bop kit when I had the chance. The old school MCA where simply the best out together drums I’ve ever played. ”everything works” is so true.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really have a mental block buying Chinese made Yamaha - it’s my own issue, but it is what it is. But after looking for a few months at new kits, I’m kicking myself for selling my old MCA kit and/or not picking up a MCA or Sakae bop kit when I had the chance. The old school MCA where simply the best out together drums I’ve ever played. ”everything works” is so true.
Whenever I think of the one do-everything kit I've had before now it's the 10/12/14/20/6.5 Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, first run, piano black with black interiors and their vintage wood hoops. It was perfect.