Just one Ludwig snare

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok Folks - We are all aware there are lots of Ludwig snare drum fans in here , so let’s pose this question and see what comes up . You are allowed to have just ONE Ludwig snare drum only , what would it be ?

For me personally my choice would be the 5 “ Black Beauty . I had about a half dozen or so Ludwig snares at one time and sold them all except the 5” Black Beauty . This snare can do every thing for me - it can do crisp and articulate just as easily as fat and resonant .

Attachments

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
N&C 14x6 SS Walnut

I played the game. But that’s what ended up with the blue ribbon.

Oddly enough, a Ludwig did make the winners circle. Coming in 5th was a 14x5 Black Beauty. Nice ... VERY nice snare.
EDIT: it’s the same snare Duncan used on most all of the Newboys cuts. Amazing drum.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
For several years I DID cut back to just one Ludwig snare, and it was almost the same as yours. Mine is a 1970 COB Supra 5x14. There just aren’t many of them and they are from Ludwig’s finest era IMO. Sweet tone for days...

Runner up for me would be a 5x14 Acrolite, and very possibly a black galaxy painted version at that. It might not be the sexy or expensive choice, but it’s really hard to get a bad sound out of one of those in just about any playing situation. I bought another one recently on my local Facebook marketplace, and the seller hadn’t played it since he was in school. I threw it on a stand and started teaching a student, didn’t have to do a thing.

chillybase

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have any high-end Ludwig snares. I have a cheap 13" Rocker maple piccolo snare and a 14x5 S-102 Standard snare. I like them both but I use the Standard the most.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now my favorite Ludwig snare drum is the Yamaha Recording Custom 6.5"x14" Brass. Don't roll your eyes at me. It's basically a Black Beauty-- beaded brass shell, tf hoops, etc.-- but it looks nicer and has a great throw-off.

OK, as for Ludwig-branded drums: Am I choosing what I think is the BEST Ludwig drum, or one that I'd like to add to my collection? If I get to keep my current drums, I'd probably go with a 5x14 Black Beauty or maybe a copper drum. If I don't get to keep them, a 6.5 Black Beauty.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I would probably say my 5x14 Black Beauty as well, though I have a 400 and a 402 that sound really good along with my acrolite which is my first drum I got when I was 11 so got to keep it.... the 5x14 Maple matches my kit so got to keep it and finally my 6.5 Hammered Bronze is a keeper :)

How did I do? Only half dozen snares. Starting to save up for lucky 7 which will be a 6.5 engraved Black Beauty

Reaction score
Right now, it would be my 6.5 aluminum supra. I also like my acrolite but lately I've been really liking the extra bottom end the 6.5 offers.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I currently own only one Ludwig snare (a 1964 Pioneer) because it came with my kit and is a perfect match in terms of the wrap. It doesn't get played as I much prefer my 6.5x14 Craviotto. If I had to pick just one Ludwig snare as my main workhorse snare, I'd probably go with a 6.5x14 Black Beauty, although the Ludwig/N&C limited edition snare that DCP offered last year would be in the running given how much I enjoy solid-shell wood snares.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the ones with this shell..

and then for use only on particular gigs or particular mood you're in.
A very 1940s sound that transcends time some times.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
'71 400. I've had an 80s 402, late 70s 400, late 70's BB and another BB from a couple of years ago with gaskets removed and Joyful Noise brass hoops. The '71 400 sounded the best - I was surprised because I expected the late 70s BB to be on top.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1920s 5x14 8lug NOB two-piece. I have a little bit of trouble with the narrow snare bed sometimes with more than 12 wires, but other than that, it's just great.
With drums currently available new, it might depend on mic'ed or unmic'ed gigs: 5" depth Supra for the first, 6.5" bronze for the latter.

T-Dub

Reaction score
Ok Folks - We are all aware there are lots of Ludwig snare drum fans in here , so let’s pose this question and see what comes up . You are allowed to have just ONE Ludwig snare drum only , what would it be ?

Fir me personally my choice would be the 5 “ Black Beauty . I had about a half dozen or so Ludwig snares at one time and sold them all except the 5” Black Beauty . This snare can die very thing for me - it can do crisp and articulate just as easily as fat and resonant .
6.5 Black Beauty for me.... covers a LOT of territory.