Just one Ludwig snare

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
(Sigh.)
This is a difficult question for me. I have six Ludwig snares all players drums. Nothing rare or collectible.

The truth is I like them all but for different circumstances: The old 50's pioneer for blues and country; the 5x14 Classic Maple for pop; the 6.5x14 Classic Maple for rock; the mid-60s 5x14 Supra dampened for small one-room rehearsals or funk....

My two favorites are my late 60s Acrolite and my my early 2000s 6.5 Black Beauty. I want to say the Black Beauty is my choice, but the Acrolite gets played in a lot more situations. Like, literally, any of the situations listed above. It also cost the least of all my snares.

(Sigh again.) So probably the Acrolite, but the Black Beauty would be hidden in an apartment across town, like a mistress.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I own an LM402, A Blackro & a '63 COA Supersensitive w/COB hoops. Of the the 3 I'd have to choose the SS. All 3 are great, but the Supersensitive is 'obedient' to a T, a real joy to play.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own an LM402, A Blackro & a '63 COA Supersensitive w/COB hoops. Of the the 3 I'd have to choose the SS. All 3 are great, but the Supersensitive is 'obedient' to a T, a real joy to play.
I knew you were going to say that. After hearing that Super Sensitive in a video you shared in another post topic, I have to a agree.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone like these? Pros Cons on them?

Heirloom Brass and Stainless steel.
does anyone even own one.

7/14 SS

7/14B

Last edited:

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
tough call. I prefer wood snares and my LS401 and LS403 are quite nice, but last night i pulled out my avatar, LB422 and, though I don't like metal snares too much, it sounded great.

But I do believe I'll go with the Classic Maple, LS403
LS403 with badge.jpg

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ive had BBs,402s,400s,Acros and Blackros.
Of those,i love my 6.5 Blackro over all the others,that aluminum dryness gives that articulation of a 402 plus the Black Galaxy coating gives the punchiness of the BB.
Atleast to my ears!
Great snare!

Deafmoon

Reaction score
Ludwig Hammered Bronze 5x14 Supra. No muffler, Die Cast Ludwig Hoops and Canopus Vintage Wires.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I can only really go by what I’ve owned and still have. My 402 with CS coated heads and 42 strand wires.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
Does anyone like these? Pros Cons on them?

Heirloom Brass and Stainless steel.
does anyone even own one.

7/14 SS

7/14B
I do not own one, but isn’t the only real difference between those and the higher end Supras, just that they are seamed? I’m not sure the sound is that different then.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a torturous question!
I'd have to go with the 6.5 Supra. It's the drum that covers all the bases!

drumaniac

DFO Star
Reaction score
Probably have around 15 Ludwig snares. The keeper is the Pre serial # COB Supersensitive

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only have one Ludwig snare and it’s a Classic Maple 3x13 piccolo and I am loving it. Beautiful looking, nice sound and perfect for lighter music.